Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Do You Title JDM Car In Us? Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convert it to lhd and title it as a 1994 mirage as it is the same car minus the awd. Trust me this is the way to go. I would know a thing or 2 about this I drive my evo 1 all over il and have been pulled over at least 15 times and no one ever raised an eyebrow and it is even rhd still. I would not use it a s a dd or make trips out of state more than I have to but it will work. I know which evo 3 you are talking about as well. I had a friend who almost bought it. I think they are a little more negotiable on price as well.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:05 AM

for insurance,check these guys out!
http://rallyinsurance.com/
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like it says above,as long as you pass state inspection and dont get DOT or EPA on your butt your ok!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V1RGINEVO9
ok heres the deal i recently posted a thread about an evo 3 and i found one for sale, they want 11k for it and i would like to buy it, but i need to get it a us title, the person selling it said they could but it would cost 3-5000 $ and it would just say 95 mitsubishi 4door, thats a little odd.. He also said its froma certain state hes getting it from, and he said only certain states will do it,

does anyone know how to get a title or somone i can contact to get this started, or what state will do it? thanks alot
The Only way to title a imported car is with a bill of laden and De-registration forms from the exporting country. you are pretty much screwed otherwise. Motorex shut down, and now they are taking money and running away. So I would just sell your JDM car unless you wanna use it for some other purpose. Because there is no way to register it. PERIOD.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

ok heres the deal, i dound out it is a guy in florida that egts the car titled, i dont have his phone number only a name... and he is getting a state issued legallity on the car and a florida state title. so from what all of you have said it looks like it might work if IL accepts the title transfer, im not sure on what im going to do, well see i got think
about it, thasnk for all the reponses.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

someone said to get a crappy 95 mirage and swap the vins and say it was converted to rhd... illegal but probably the cheapest rout...
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

For a skyline, in this case....

I know for a fact there is a guy floating around here advertising R34's and R32's....which would be a major problem if the crash testing and road-worthy certification hadn't been done.

So, there are two ways to obtain a skyline in the US.....

If you're an RB26 DIEHARD, go buy a 240SX, the later the better, and drop it off at Full Race along with a check of upwards of 45K. You'll get back essentially a modified skyline tucked under a Silvia chassis, perfectly legal and knowing the guys at FR-you'll have one helluva car.

OR! You can cough up 80K for a brand new GTR. Which...I hope I will be able to do in the next few years.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 03:36 PM
Account Disabled

There are MANY states that you can Title a non federalized car... However if you drive the car on any road, you can get busted. the EPA and DOT have jurisdiction over and above state. It doesn't matter if you have a title on the car. If it's illegal for driving on public motorways by the EPA and DOT, they can legally take your car, crush it, and fine you more money than you make in a year.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Most people title their Evo 1-6's as Mirage sedans, for they are nearly identical chassis wise.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:32 PM
Account Disabled

Once again people... getting the title and registration are easy. Many states will title a bigwheel... a title and registration do not make a vehicle legal for use on public roadways.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

so i should contact my state and say hey i have a car with as title from florida can i have it trqansfered into the states? and just hope that i dont get any **** for it...man this sucks
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone know of that person in florida that titles cars or have his number?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:53 AM

u have PM
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

#1 reg by returning oversea army
#2 dipolmatic
#3 try look for importing old car rules
#4 open ur dealer lic. and reg it as ur company inventory
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=8263

Read through that thread and some of the links within. It refers to the so called "Bill Gates Law" that was passed to allow import of vehicles for "Show or Display" purposes. It does allow limited road use from what I remember.

As far as the muscle car argument ... those cars met all standards when they were build and have therefore been "grandfathered" in. The Japanese imports in question were never legal in the US no matter the year and that is the difference.

Quick Reply: How Do You Title JDM Car In Us? Help!