Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Purchase advice.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help...bad...

Ok so I'm new here and I have a ques.... I found this 2005 Evo 8 MR with low mileage on it and Im contemplating over whether I should get it or not.... I'm scared cuz All I hear is bad things about the evo 8s tranny and engine....Is it true for the 05s? or just the 03-04s..... Plz help me out....If I do get the car what should I check for when buying it?? Should I worry about crankwalk and bad trannys? What should I worry about? What should I do? TY all for the help...
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
A tranny crunchy going into any gear, a loud whine from the drivetrain, dash wiring all chewed up, low compression in any cylinder or any leaks underneath are reason for rejection. Also, check Carfax.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:57 AM

are 05s as prone to these issues as an 03-04??
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MR's gearbox is rubbish.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is nothing wrong with 03's, 04's, 05's, it all the same. None of them are more prone to any of those things you are refering too than 06's or whatever. You have been given bad info. My car has 53K on it with a stock original clutch, no tranny, T-case, or diff issues. It all depends on how the previous owner treated the car.
Post like this anger me... Why are you in need of such dire help? Just do some research on the car your going to buy, it's that easy.

Sorry brother not trying to go off on you, you are simply misinformed.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

agree with everyone. first, buy a carfax report then test drive it and listen for odd noises from the tranny or whatever. or even take a trusted mechanic with you to check the car out
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Crankwalk? Don't worry about it.

Bad transmission? Only if you are going to track this car. The MR transmission isn't up to the task.

I think your problem will more than likely be the infamous "weak clutch" syndrome that everyone talks about. For some reason people tend to think that the Evo clutch can't hold stock power. In reality, they're just not driving the car correctly. In other words, if you're asking the kind of questions that I'm reading, the Evo might be a bit more car than you are ready for.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
Crankwalk? Don't worry about it.

Bad transmission? Only if you are going to track this car. The MR transmission isn't up to the task.

I think your problem will more than likely be the infamous "weak clutch" syndrome that everyone talks about. For some reason people tend to think that the Evo clutch can't hold stock power. In reality, they're just not driving the car correctly. In other words, if you're asking the kind of questions that I'm reading, the Evo might be a bit more car than you are ready for.

a++++
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:06 AM

A tranny will go bad in any car if its abbused and not maintained with propper fluids!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

ya, like everyone said, check carfax, service records, un modded is better, have a independent mechanic check it out. Do a compression test etc. All depends how the car was treated by the previous owner
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:08 AM

so the mr's gearbox sucks??? Thats messed up because I only like MRs for some reason....
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WanTheShadow
so the mr's gearbox sucks??? Thats messed up because I only like MRs for some reason....
4th gear is weaker and they don't cool as well. That's why they suck for track days. However, if you're simply driving the thing to and from work or to take your 15 year old girlfriend out to Burger King for a nice romantic dinner, the MR should be fine.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:26 AM

is it a POS tranny in the MR or just the gear box???If I replace it with a new clucth should the issue be solved??
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WanTheShadow
is it a POS tranny in the MR or just the gear box???If I replace it with a new clucth should the issue be solved??
A tranny and a gearbox are the same thing
I don't think the clutch is going to be an issue unless you don't know how to drive a stick or you drag race a lot. A MR trans is fine unless you plan on doing a lot of track days like everyone else has already stated.

Are we confusing you?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

/\ +1
To and from Burger King LMFAO! The 6Speed actually has tougher 1-3 gears compared to the 5speed. So like grillpt said if you do alot of track days then you could have issues. But if you just Drag Race then its gonna do just as much wear and tear as it would on a 5speed.