Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX wont start!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX wont start!

Need some help guys,
A buddy is getting back from Iraq next week and his evo wont start.

While he was gone we put in a 02 back exhaust, small battery, upper/lower ic pipes, and a turbo timer.

We were moving the car into the garage at night and out in the morning.

We checked the fuses, seems to get spark to the plugs, injectors seem to be firing, Smells like raw gas comming out of the exhaust.

It cranks but wont even sputter.

We have swapped, charged, jumped and still cant get the damn car started.

Any imput or somthing I might have over looked?

Thanks
Vennom
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like that fuel pump is shot.....thats what happened with mine...check the fuel and see if its flowing to the motor...if not u can jump on ebay and get a walbro 255 lph fuel pump for it...the pump is located under the back seat
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:27 PM

how did u jump the battery?? since its small battery, jumping or high charge will kill the battery.. u should check if there is any cranking amps.. even if there is voltage, there might not be any cranking amps.. U need to trickle charge mini batteries
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:59 PM

we swapped in the stock battery and jumped it. The turbo timer showed 14.5 amps? before we tried cranking it. When you turn the key to acc. should you be able to hear the pump priming if you have an ear to the black pump cover?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVO15
how did u jump the battery?? since its small battery, jumping or high charge will kill the battery.. u should check if there is any cranking amps.. even if there is voltage, there might not be any cranking amps.. U need to trickle charge mini batteries
That's false don't trickle charge it. Small battery or not, charging it from your car to his or in my situation my car to my bikes will not do anything to the battery or charging system contrary to popular belief. you can jump a car car no matter what size the battery. if it was dangerous then they might have put that in the owners manual.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

When you were moving the car in and out of the garage did you have the car started then or were you pushing it?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:18 PM

we have pretty much ruled out the battery as the source of the problem. It might have caused it but right now we have good batteries that wont start the car.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:41 PM

it was getting started and moved then turned off not the smartest thing to do i know
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont know man but if you know how i would pull the spark plugs out and check it, pull the rail and injectors make sure they are clean. actually disconnect the fuel line on the rail and see if fuel comes out. put back and start again, pull line off and see if fuel is being pumped. if not then check the Fuel pump. just lift the back seat and on the driver side there is a plate with 4 screws. pull off and check lines. worse case you will have to pull the pump out and make sure everything is good and connected or buy a new one. not to expensive. you will need one later anyways..........just my 2 cents
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vennom
it was getting started and moved then turned off not the smartest thing to do i know
Maybe flooded cylinder???? Get a turbo timer if you dont have one for stuff like this.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Does it have an aem ems? sorry couldn't resist
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:54 PM
Account Disabled

AEM's never fail! Just as Al at the 06 shootout finals. They NEVER erase their files for no reason at all!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

How did you hook your tt up? If you spliced into an injector pulse wire, you would immediately flood your car and it won't start.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Maybe flooded cylinder???? Get a turbo timer if you dont have one for stuff like this.
What?? that makes no sense.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:12 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Well you need certain things to start the car. Power, starter, spark, air, and fuel. See if you have a friend with a solus or any other diag that can read the voltage on certain things. Check the fuel pumps voltage. If it smells like gas out your exhaust then youre getting gas in your cylinders. Youre just not firing so it's definitely an ignition issue.

Quick Reply: Evo IX wont start!