Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cross Country Driving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Country Driving

Hey everyone,
Was hoping for some pointers. Sometime next year, most likley later summer I will be going to ArZ from GA. If it was a short trip I would probablly fly but I will be spending 3 months there for training. I am considering taking the Evo out there, not only for the convienence of having a car (I could just rent) but I have already owned my Evo for over a year by then and only been able to drive it for 15days. Not to mention I will most likley head to Vegas while I am there. Any tipe for prepping the car for the trip? I was thinking the 3M clear bra would be a great investment instead of having to repaint the whole front end after I return

I have done the trip once before, with my 06 SI, and it did not really look to bad after, except for getting hit in the parking lot during the first night by some ******* and driving the next 2 days with a smashed rear fender.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The clear bra is probably a good investment for sure. Rain X, snacks and lots of driving CDs.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

You will want to get a fresh oil change before the trip.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

i would probally go over all the fluids and top everything off, make sure your tire pressure is ok, and i would def recommend some type of pain killer because i kinda young im 24 and i drove 6.5hrs to nc and my lower back was hurting pretty good.. but in any case have fun and be safe.. i hope you dont get hit in the parking lot again
Old Nov 17, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

don't worry about it. i don't recommend the clear bra. i have seen tons of the clear bras ruin the front end and having to repaint anyway. if a rock hits the bra just right or hard enough it will rip the clear bra. sometimes the clear bra yellow over time. and your paint will not fade evenly under the bra. and removal of the bra will mess up your paint causing a repaint anyway. so run out there and have fun. u can use painters tape if you want. i have driven from Chicago to GA,CA,CO,TX,MO,NV. each on separate trips. i have a few chips at 86,000 miles but not too bad for never protecting besides wax. satalite radio helps allot.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

FYI if paint is ruined from clearbra removal, it implies it was removed incorrectly.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

nope after being on there for a while it will require repainting after removal. paint match/ pealing from adhesive.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice, I will def top off all the fluids and check everything twice, already got Siruis in the car and will definatly bring every tool I could think of just in case.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
you should be fine. just do what they say about change your oil first and top off all the fluid and tire pressure. and definately bra would be nice. i wish i had invested on one before i did my cross country trip from Delaware to Las Vegas.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the car is not having any mechanical issues now you should be fine. Isuues such as Transfer case, tranny, cvs. I would change all the fluids(engine oil-mobil one, tranny-redline or mitsu, Transfer case-diaqueen, rearend-diaqueen). I should know I drove from Texas to Fairbanks Alaska in mine which a total of 4200 miles then drove from Fairbanks to Maryland. No problems on the trip. Make sure you chang your oil before you come back though.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:15 AM

i just drove from socal to washington and back and instead of the clear bra i used that blue painters tape and put it on front fenders,bumper,hood and mirrors.....got the job done.....no rock chips....easy on and easy off
Old Nov 17, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I like to get right up behind trucks before I pass, Not a good idea because of the thin weight saving windshield. It doesn't like rocks.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

I drove about 800 miles over the weekend and I was surprised at how comfortable I was. A little back pain but no big deal; foot fell asleep a few times but that was about it. Got 23 mpg too