Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vishnu 380hp flash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vishnu 380hp flash

So I first heard of this in a NY Times aricle about the euros getting beefier cars than us. It went on to mention Vishnu, and stated you could get the same performance as the Euro car with this simple re-flash. I e-mailed Vishnu about it, and they stated point blank that they stand behind it. Now that I have my Evo, I plan on sending them my ECU for the flash, but I'm perplexed. I can't find anything on here about it. Can't find a thread where someone's done it, and their take on it. Seems to me, that it's a really easy mod for power, and there would have been someone out there that's done it. Anyone have it done to their's
Like to get some feedback before I send mine up there.
TIA
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm I don't know about 380hp with just a flash but you'll get around 30whp from a flash typically. If you do a search for flash you'll find a lot of results.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
So I first heard of this in a NY Times aricle about the euros getting beefier cars than us. It went on to mention Vishnu, and stated you could get the same performance as the Euro car with this simple re-flash. I e-mailed Vishnu about it, and they stated point blank that they stand behind it. Now that I have my Evo, I plan on sending them my ECU for the flash, but I'm perplexed. I can't find anything on here about it. Can't find a thread where someone's done it, and their take on it. Seems to me, that it's a really easy mod for power, and there would have been someone out there that's done it. Anyone have it done to their's
Like to get some feedback before I send mine up there.
TIA
380whp from just a flash ?? LOL ....You may want to get that performance gaurantee in writing....

Technically it would be impossible to get an Evo 8/9 to 380 whp from just a flash running on pump gas....
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

380hp is an estimate of crank hp not actual power at the wheels. In AWD cars like the evo, expect a 15-20% drivetrain loss
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:29 PM

If my math is correct than 380 crank hp is about a 33% increase in bhp, but it will net you only about 304 whp. Most mail-in flashes promise maybe 20 whp (that is 24 bhp). On a mostly stock evo 8. With a drive train loss of 20% that would be abut 240 whp with a flash. Read the Vishnu thread some more. Someone check my math.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the V400 setup for my car. The flash does make a huge difference. They also put a bleeder on (aka Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator). You'll have no redline in 1st gear, so you can launch where you want, boost comes earlier, and the timing is much better.

I do recommend going with the V400 over the 380 as having the exhaust system with wider pipes and free flow cat also contributes a good deal. If they're packed with appointments, you can get the exhaust system mailed to you and install it yourself with some friends like I did.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

just one opinion:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=267392

the flash made power, for sure, but after i posted my initial results, a lot of people pm's me recommending that i get it logged for knock. long story short, and i got it tuned on a dyno, is that my tune appeared to knock more than most tuners think is acceptable. folks with just a base flash had even worse results.

just to be fair, and hopefully save you some money, why not go to a local tuner that's having a dyno tuning special or one from email/ internet? evo tuning isn't the mystery it used to be to justify spending more than what you could spend on a mellon tune.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Segfault
I had the V400 setup for my car. The flash does make a huge difference. They also put a bleeder on (aka Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator). You'll have no redline in 1st gear, so you can launch where you want, boost comes earlier, and the timing is much better.

I do recommend going with the V400 over the 380 as having the exhaust system with wider pipes and free flow cat also contributes a good deal. If they're packed with appointments, you can get the exhaust system mailed to you and install it yourself with some friends like I did.
So you're the only one that's used their product(s)?
Like I wrote, it was in the NYT, and when asked about it, they responded that they back it up. Doing some research, I do agree that an exhaust will definitely help out. I absolutely detest the sound of an opened-up Japanese 4-cyl, though. I can thank all the Honda Civics with their mortar-tube exhaust. Everytime I see some skippy going WFO in one, I think it sounds like a high-pitched fart. I'm gonna ask Vishnu about their exhaust note. I know there are others out there with a more subdued sound.
Anyway, I would think with Vishnu's claim, there'd be a lot of guys out there with their product. I'm gonna dyno the car before and after. Theoretically, the number should be roughly 85hp (or in your case, 105hp) higher. If it's close, I'll keep it.
I'm in SoCal, so I'll have to have the items shipped anyway. The 1st gear rev-limiter eliminator doesn't mean a whole lot to me, as I'm just gonna do track days with it. I'm gonna try to talk the wife into driving it, however. Maybe she'll want to go heads-up with some Vette's on her way to work.
I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Last edited by fastkevin; Dec 8, 2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
just one opinion:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=267392

the flash made power, for sure, but after i posted my initial results, a lot of people pm's me recommending that i get it logged for knock. long story short, and i got it tuned on a dyno, is that my tune appeared to knock more than most tuners think is acceptable. folks with just a base flash had even worse results.

just to be fair, and hopefully save you some money, why not go to a local tuner that's having a dyno tuning special or one from email/ internet? evo tuning isn't the mystery it used to be to justify spending more than what you could spend on a mellon tune.
OK, read the post, but what does it have to do with Vishnu? I didn't see their name in there. As far as a "local" guy. I don't know of any where I'm at (Buena Park, Calif.) A buddy of mine with a Subaru, went to Thousand Oaks to get his done. That's two hours away from me, and I don't have the time. Ironically, I own the latest Dynojet 250i dyno, myself. It's a motorcycle dyno unfortunately, and there's no way in he-toothpicks, I'm gonna be able to get a car on it. I do however, have a couple of really good suspension guys (Mueller, Robi-spec) within a decent radius of me, and given the choice between the two, I'd rather have it this way. Hard to mail in your car to have it corner-balanced :-)

Last edited by fastkevin; Dec 8, 2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

OK, read the post, but what does it have to do with Vishnu? I didn't see their name in there. As far as a "local" guy. I don't know of any where I'm at (Buena Park, Calif.) A buddy of mine with a Subaru, went to Thousand Oaks to get his done. That's two hours away from me, and I don't have the time. Ironically, I own the latest Dynojet 250i dyno, myself. It's a motorcycle dyno unfortunately, and there's no way in he-toothpicks, I'm gonna be able to get a car on it. I do however, have a couple of really good suspension guys (Mueller, Robi-spec) within a decent radius of me, and given the choice between the two, I'd rather have it this way. Hard to mail in your car to have it corner-balanced :-)
you did see the title of the thread, right?
"Vishnu tuned by Shiv- with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!"

Shiv is the tuner at Vishnu.

off topic, but i love what robi did for my car.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
you did see the title of the thread, right?
"Vishnu tuned by Shiv- with Dyno charts - and guess my MPG!"

Shiv is the tuner at Vishnu.

off topic, but i love what robi did for my car.
Didn't read the title, just the contents. Saw the name "Shiv". Would you mind expanding on your experience with his tune, either in here or pm'ing me? Knock count concerns me. Especially here in Cali, where we only have 91.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Feels like im reading a thread from 2004 when Vishnu was acutally investing in the Evo Market.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Feels like im reading a thread from 2004 when Vishnu was acutally investing in the Evo Market.
The tune(s) in question are for the Evo 9, so that tells me Vishnu is still working with the Evo.
You could have no prior experience with a particular vehicle, but be really good with mapping, and make a really good map. You have a set of parameters, and working within them, you could come up with a really good product, providing you spend the time.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Alfred @ Tuning Technologies in Colton...

John aka Jestr Tuning can tune remotely and occasionally comes out to SoCal...
jestrtuning@gmail.com...

Both are very knowledgeable and have great customer service....
Old Dec 8, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Alfred @ Tuning Technologies in Colton...

John aka Jestr Tuning can tune remotely and occasionally comes out to SoCal...
jestrtuning@gmail.com...

Both are very knowledgeable and have great customer service....
Thanks man, but Colton is still out of my AO. This Jester guy... He's a traveling tuner? Does he have a dyno trailer?
I'll e-mail him. Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Vishnu 380hp flash