Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

rear tails..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear tails..

Has anyone separated rear 8 tails? I wanna paint my housings but not sure if the separation process is the same as the headlights any help would be great!!
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, www.lightmods.net the famous "Evodave"
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:34 PM
Account Disabled

You have to dremel the housing or discover evodaves super secret decoder ring technique.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akunochi
You have to dremel the housing or discover evodaves super secret decoder ring technique.
I baked the headlights in the oven.....the tails I tried to dremel and ended up just sending them to evodave. He did an awsome job IMO. One funny thing is I read a post on here just after evodave did my rears that said you can bake them in the oven as well.

I think that is his secret for the rears Not sure though.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akunochi
LMAO!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I've done my tails. I'm sure baking them would work but I didn't want to destroy the housings. So, I used a heat gun and an exacto knife to cut the adhesive between the black housing and the clear outer cover. It was time consuming but well worth it IMO...they're blacked out with a gunmetal turn signal to match the headlights.

Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

I baked mine, but FAILed miserably. I know why things got screwed up tho...1-dont let a dumb@$$ friend help because he says "dude let me do it, ive done it before and you are being too slow" because that will more than likely result in the outer lens getting cracked, 2- if you bake them, make sure its not in a cold environmen t (i.e removing from the oven and taking them to the cold garage) because the glue gets hard quicker and can reslut in little spider cracks in the outer lens. I put mine in the oven and then used a tiny flat-head screwdriver (eyeglass repair kit??) make sure you use rubber gloves and clean the inside with alcohol. there is a write-up in the DIY forums
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:57 AM

tails

Originally Posted by ohEVO18
I baked mine, but FAILed miserably. I know why things got screwed up tho...1-dont let a dumb@$$ friend help because he says "dude let me do it, ive done it before and you are being too slow" because that will more than likely result in the outer lens getting cracked, 2- if you bake them, make sure its not in a cold environmen t (i.e removing from the oven and taking them to the cold garage) because the glue gets hard quicker and can reslut in little spider cracks in the outer lens. I put mine in the oven and then used a tiny flat-head screwdriver (eyeglass repair kit??) make sure you use rubber gloves and clean the inside with alcohol. there is a write-up in the DIY forums

Great Info...my tails were painted with some ugly pale red paint on the outside of the lens. I have since then stripped the paint off and looking into Dave's method of baking and painting the inside of the lens.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

if you dont make the mistake that i made in taking the lenses out of the oven and taking them outside into 30 degree weather or so cuz it hardens too quickly...be patient and be prepared to spend alot of time doing it and making trips to and from the oven. if my buddy hadnt cracked my lens, mine would have turned out great.