Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

1400$ For Inspection???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ForLovexOrMoney
Today I get a call from the service Dept. and they told me that they were gonna charge me 1400 dollars to drop the tranny to inspect what they think is the clutch
thats a mitsu dealership for you
Old Jan 3, 2008, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I dont care what you say mitsu will in no way cover your clutch modded or not. You'll spend more money than its worth trying to fight them. Uhh and how would you mod a car without touching the power train? Coilovers. Trust me they will void you power train for those to. Since they enabled you to drive the car harder. The Moss-Magnusson (Or Whatever its called) always sounds great but its just not reality. Sure you can fight them but it usually means months without a car and spending more money than its worth just to fix it yourself. Warranties are not for modded sports cars period

Last edited by gsrboi80; Jan 3, 2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Warranties are not for modded sports cars period
Which sucks, because Mitsu's slogan for the Evo when it first came over was "Go forth and modify"...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I dont care what you say mitsu will in no way cover your clutch modded or not.
Yes they will. They won't cover it if it's worn out, but if the clutch actually failed...

Also, did this dealership put the new clutch in? If so, you also may have a claim for workmanship. Depends on how it failed.

Either way, I wouldn't pay them $1400 for an inspection. Unless you can get them to cover it under warranty (which I doubt) get your car the hell out of there. Or ask to talk to the owner. That can get stuff done sometimes.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jakeg97
thats a mitsu dealership for you
You think that's bad, try getting charge 60 bucks just for a few little easy diagnostics.... Stupid Porsche.

1400 is a rip off, especially if they won't do it under warranty. Find a local shop that works on Evos and take it there instead if you can. Much better service and probably a whole lot better price.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Yes they will. They won't cover it if it's worn out, but if the clutch actually failed...

Also, did this dealership put the new clutch in? If so, you also may have a claim for workmanship. Depends on how it failed.

Either way, I wouldn't pay them $1400 for an inspection. Unless you can get them to cover it under warranty (which I doubt) get your car the hell out of there. Or ask to talk to the owner. That can get stuff done sometimes.

They want 1400 cause of the time involved in taking down the Tranny. I dont care if it failed or not they are not going to cover it. They will tell him that he must have been abusing it

Ive seen and heard of many of brand new clutches get ruined by improper break-in. This could very well prove to be the case. No way to tell untill its apart. However its costing you 1400 just for them to pull it in hopes that its thier fault Screw them odds

I would have to agree in getting your car out of there ASAP
Old Jan 3, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

we gotta fight for the right to race HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......lol

pull those papers out and start reading the fine print. you gotta be stern
Old Jan 3, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

word of advice, never take your car to the dealer for maintence work inless it is under wanranty...... b/c they will charge you out the ***, trust me i am a tech for toyota
Old Jan 3, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ForLovexOrMoney
Yeah the car is stock, and it has 18,000 miles on it.

They swear its the clutch when I just got a new OEM clutch.
Why did you just get a new oem clutch at 18,000 miles anyway....especially with no mods. Should have lasted waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than that many miles IMO!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cluthes don't cause wheels to lock up. If the wheels were locked because the car is stuck in 5th gear that makes sense but I'd start looking at shifter linkage, then the master and slave cylinders before you assume its the cluth.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24
Cluthes don't cause wheels to lock up. If the wheels were locked because the car is stuck in 5th gear that makes sense but I'd start looking at shifter linkage, then the master and slave cylinders before you assume its the cluth.
That's why I keep asking if the clutch felt like it was working (i.e. weight on the pedal). If he blew the hydraulic line to the clutch, or one of the cylinders, it would have locked in gear, and when the motor finally stalled as he slowed down it could have locked the wheels. Not likely, but possible, and it explains his description of the problem.

Either way, a clutch swap from a Mitsubishi dealership is $1000. I can't see where they're getting $1400 from just to take it apart.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Wow that really sucks bro.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
yah SCM was gonna Charge me $1500 in labor and $800 for a New Tranny eventhugh my car was still under warranty