Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can my front bumper be fixed or does it need replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can my front bumper be fixed or does it need replacement?

So i was driving home the other day and a stupid possum ran out in front of me and i turned my wheel to avoid it but due to the nasty **** weather conditions here in chicago my car slipped and swerved and i hit the curb of a street. at first the damage didnt look that bad i thought it was just my front bumper but my tow hooked smashed in my AMS FMIC so i am debating if should repair this myself out of pocket or i might file a claim with my insurance depending if my rates would go up or not. but here are pics of the bumper just wondering if this can be fixed or should i jus get a whole new bumper.

Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should have hit the possum would have been less damage.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

lol yea thats true, but i didnt want to scrape of roadkill off my fmic/bumper and i was only going like 10mph i didnt think the car would spin out that bad, but i guess thats what i get for rollin on azenis 615s in the winter :-\
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:33 AM

To fix the bumper the right way, will cost more than buying a new one. File a claim.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

If the lip can be reinstalled with no problems it can be repaired. If you were local I could do it. I do bumper repair for lot cars. We usually charge about $200 to repair & paint split bumpers. A body shop will charge more, but I don't think it will be too bad. Take it by a body shop Monday & get an estimate. As long as the mounting points for the lip arent messed up it can be fixed & will look good.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

awesome info on the lip! thanks shunder! but what about the crack on the actual bumper its literally cracked. is that repairable???
Old Jan 6, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BigLEVO
awesome info on the lip! thanks shunder! but what about the crack on the actual bumper its literally cracked. is that repairable???
Yes, technically all of that damage is repairable. 3M plastics repair products do wonders. If you do put a claim in through insurance, I wouldn't be surprised if they pay for a new bumper. Generally an insurance company would rather pay for the cost of a new bumper than pay a body tech to spend the time to fix it. I guess it comes down to how much a shop will repair it for (paid out of pocket by you) compared to your auto insurance deductible.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 03:23 PM

You could scrap it and buy a 9 front bumper if you like those.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 05:10 PM

Just a little gash? Thats easy man! You could do that yourself. I had a big gash in my Supra bumper and I bought filler putty, smeared in on the inside of the bumper, outside of the bumper and let it harden. You gotta make sure to push the filler through so it actually fills the gash. Then sand it down flush and your good to go! Im a technician, not a body repairman, so if i could do it so could you
Old Jan 6, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

aftermarket bumper will be ure best bet
Old Jan 6, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

I have seen urethane repaired after having cracks or gashes. One friend, however, hit something and put a crack in his urethane kit. He had it repaired by a very reputable shop and it looked really good when it was done. But a few months later, you could begin to see dimples in the paint where the crack originally was. He is going to have to replace the bumper eventually because it is going to continue to separate. I think its a gamble.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

i would just buy a new one
Old Jan 6, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

i wouldnt mind gettin an evo 9 front bumper but that alone would cost me close to $1000. i am going to call my agent tomorrow morning and see if my rates would go through the roof. my fmic still needs to be replaced i doubt its repairable. but right now its soundin like my bumper can be fixed so if insurance fails i will probably take it in to get it fixed. thanks everyone for the help!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any good body shop can fix it.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 09:11 PM
avs

Originally Posted by W0459732
aftermarket bumper will be ure best bet
No way. Fiberglass and CF can cracked really easy. OEM bumper is more flexible.

Quick Reply: Can my front bumper be fixed or does it need replacement?