Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dashboard dim after transmissoin repair

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dashboard dim after transmissoin repair

I searched but could not find anything related to dim dashboard lights so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I have had the 5th gear shift grind since almost day one (March '03) and since the 5 year 60k warranty was ending I looked for and found a dealer to make the repair. They had the car from December 14th to January 3rd.

I am happy to report the transmission works nicely. It feels new and needs breaking in.

I just drove the car for the first time at night last night and my dashboard lights are real dim. I can see the left side of the speedo but really almost nothing else. The odometer works the same and I can see that as before. When I adjust the dashboard lights they adjust but you just can't see anything to the right of the left side of the speedo.

The only thing they looked at even close to the dashboard is a SES light that they said was a loose wire (?). I have had 300 codes that I reset myself for the last four years.

Any thoughts?

Flybyevo
Old Jan 7, 2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what this could be. Definitely sounds like a problem though. I'd take it back in.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 03:30 AM

Just pop out the cluster and check the bulbs in the back see if any are popped.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies.

The dealer said that one bulb is out. Looks fairly simple to remove the cluster.

There appears to be two screws along the top. Does anyone have any idea of what else needs to be removed to gain access?

Thanks again,

Flybyevo
Old Jan 9, 2008, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

two screws in that black plastic on top, pull that out, and there are 3 other screws into the cluster itself....

i found it easy that once removing those three screws, pop out the little cluster on the left...i forgot what controls it hold, but pul that out first than cluster will come right out with a little wigglin.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
two screws in that black plastic on top, pull that out, and there are 3 other screws into the cluster itself....

i found it easy that once removing those three screws, pop out the little cluster on the left...i forgot what controls it hold, but pul that out first than cluster will come right out with a little wigglin.
Thanks so much for the tip.

Hopefully I won't have to replace the interior by the time I get done.

Flybyevo
Old Jan 9, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

that is bad, mine is at the dealer getting the tranny worked on. i hope that doesn't happen to me. let me know how it works out just in case it does happen to me. G.L.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by N8THEGR8
that is bad, mine is at the dealer getting the tranny worked on. i hope that doesn't happen to me. let me know how it works out just in case it does happen to me. G.L.

Is yours a warranty repair for the 4th and 5th gear grinding?

Flybyevo