Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problems with my 03

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with my 03

Hey guys just bought my yellow 03...I knew the car had some cosmetic flaws...calipers peeling..wing peeling...but as I go on...more and more things to add to the nightmare...two days after buying the car I hit a deer...broke my headlight...dented the hood...mauled the fender...ect...so I repaired it with some additional parts...Seibon CF fenders, Hood..which by the way...dont bother...the CF parts I recieved were no good...Fitment was a 5 out of ten with lots of work to make it fit...especially the fenders..the hood not so bad..except for the cheap chicken wire they put on it...which I removed and customized it to fit the stock hood vent...just painted the vent black...looked good...the JDM headlights were nice...10 out of 10 fitment..needed to buy new lights and a harness for the fog lights...and put on a APR Windsplitter...and this is where the fun began...the windsplitter went on beautifully...the bad part was the NAPA oil filters and the whining of my tranny or TC thats been occuring since the second day i bought this car...It seems to me that the person before me messed up bad...they either put the wrong fluid in or didnt put enough in...either way...I got big trouble...I noticed two filters on the bottom...anybody tell me what the other is? Anyway...I went and also pulled two of my spark plugs...I have two different types of plugs in my car...bosch..NGK...my car runs like poop...My air filter is destroyed...I have a ground wire of some sort that runs from my intake manifold to no where...and my car seems to run way too much boost..around 26 psi from what the Autometer gauge reads...but I dont really rely on the gauge...prob not accurate...My solution to all this was to first not drive the car...I ordered Diaqueen LSD and gear oil...I order new spark plugs..I ordered Pulse plugs from Pulse Star...couldnt get plugs from the dealer...they had to order them..so instead of waiting I got these...way I seen it...they will all be the same...I bought K&N Air filter and oil filter...and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 10w 30....can anybody tell me any thing else to do to bring my car back to normal...or any procautions to take while doing any of this....Im not very familiar with the lancer yet...I built a WRX for a couple of years...and do auto mechanics...so Im pretty car savy...but I know there always little bugs and tricks to things...all help is very appreciated..Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2008, 05:03 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It could only get better from here!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

i would say just spend time this winter making everything nice....my car wasn't as bad as yours when i got it but i was and am going over everything making it nicey nice for example the car came with a seibon hood and i cut out the ****ty chicken wire and found a used vent to put on, one of the fender liners was missing, the crappy ebay intercooler the person had on before me was way off center in the bumper, calipers were pealed painted them yada yada. I know it sucks but just take your time and make everything nice and you will love your car
Old Jan 10, 2008, 05:38 PM

mine was worse its an 05 someone put the 03 TC in and ripped out all the electronics for the ACD including the $1700 hydraulic pump for the ACD which is no where to be found in the USA. So that plus a new clutch TC and Tranny. o and when i bought it the axel was not even in all the way
Old Jan 10, 2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks guys..know good things take time....just bad luck....=(
Old Jan 10, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

I feel your grief. Everytime I buy a used car I almost have to spend 50% of what the car cost in order to get it back to mint condition. Hell, I'm the original owner of my EVO and it still needs some upkeep (after all of it's breakins).

Good Luck!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

I would just go to Advance,Autozone or what ever and et NGK BRP8ES copper plugs. They will only run you about ten bucks and be alot better that those pulsar plugs you bought. Also go light on the K&N filter oil, you do not want to clog up your MAF with oil. Make sure you only use OEM fluids in the tranny,TC and rear diff. Do not boost the car until you get that straightened out. 26 psi is way to much even if you think the gauge is wrong do not boost it that high.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

This sounds really crappy. I think you are on the right track with a full fluids change, and new plugs. Go for a reflash. Do you have MBC where you can turn the boost down some?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Just upgrade everything. Do all the tuneups and stuff. Might be time to do the timing belt too man. You really have to start fresh since your a new owner.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:54 PM

I renigged on the K&N air filter...Im going to get an intake instead..looking at the HKS short ram...cost is an issue =(...the only problem I have with copper plugs is that they need replaced all the time...and the pulse plugs are supposed to be good..if I dont like them Ill send them back and get some OEM plugs...I havent seen anyone who used them yet, so I guess Ill have the first report!..I dont have a tune shop too close that I know of...Vinshu would probably be the one...about 100 miles I'd say...anyone know any tune shops close to Pittsburgh that are reputable?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xsubyowner
I renigged on the K&N air filter...Im going to get an intake instead..looking at the HKS short ram...cost is an issue =(...the only problem I have with copper plugs is that they need replaced all the time...and the pulse plugs are supposed to be good..if I dont like them Ill send them back and get some OEM plugs...I havent seen anyone who used them yet, so I guess Ill have the first report!..I dont have a tune shop too close that I know of...Vinshu would probably be the one...about 100 miles I'd say...anyone know any tune shops close to Pittsburgh that are reputable?
closest shop is SlowBoy Racing in Indiana, PA.. I would just go to Buschur in Ohio.... and You have a PM
Old Jan 12, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Vinshu is in Cali. Are you on the east coast or West coast?

I know its not in Pitt but CBRD is in York
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok,

here is my suggestion...

start off with a compression test, a local shop should be able to do that for you for an hours labor... if you want to drive to us, we can do it.

then find someone with a datalogger to log the car for knock etc...

in my opinion, i dont like the copper plugs, unless you want to replace them everytime you replace your engine oil (which in my opinion should be every 3000 miles, 5000 TOPS.. use a factory mitsubishi filter)

the plugs i would recommend are either the BPR7EIX or BR7EIX (these solve many misfire issues also)...

there is a ground wire that normally goes from the intake manifold to a bolt under the strut tower brace mount on the firewall, maybe thats where yours should be connected.

as far as boost, autometer gauges are less than reliable, get yourself something decent... we've been using 50 dollar GARRETT boost gauges, and they have proven to be reliable and accurate.

i would recommend determining if you car has been flashed, and keep the boost below 20psi until you do so.

PM me with any questions

cheers

cb