Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car wont start, need help fast!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car wont start, need help fast!

Let me give you the run down of the past couple days. Yesterday, friday, i was supposed to go to TTP to get cosworth m2 cams / meth installed, then go to CFT to get my AEM EMS installed and tuned. Went to ttp, got the cams n meth installed, then went to cft n thats when hell broke loose on my car.

First off the ems went in fine no problems, then once we got the base tune in n started it up, had it running a little bit, did a few alterations, suddenly the car shut off and the aem was reading "offline" when trying to connect. turns out the terminals on my mini battery loosened up and ended up shorting out something in the ems, so we had some guys bring us another aem box, and we took the part out and put it on my ems, and try to get it working. still wouldnt connect. then they(cft) contacted aem and had them walk throu on taking tons of parts out of the other ems and installing it into my ems, so that it would connect. FINALLY they got it working, ems installed we put it on the dyno to start tuning. all went well till we found out the meth pump was installed backwards and the pump was sucking instead of blowing. blah blah blah, later on (minus a few other problems) we did a pull @ 28psi - 8200 rpm rev limiter (car made 453 with the boost dropping down to about 25psi, and we heard some spring play or w/e the real term is called. turns out cosworth recommends springs / retainers with these cams (i was under impression it would be ok to run with out them) but at that rpm it couldnt, so the spring ended up messing up 3 of my spark plugs causing the charge at the bottom to melt, so they put in 3 new plugs (thank god it didnt go throu the block and hit a piston) and we came to the conclusion that i NEED springs n retainers before going any further as far as power. so they de tuned my car, set it at 7200 RPM rev limit, and 25 psi so i could drive home (3hrs) and it would be ok. The car made 415 hp @ 7200 with the 25 or 26 psi. meth is set at spray at about 15 psi spray (if it means anything).

So tonight i went to do a pull in 3rd gear (same gear it was tuned in) just to make sure everythings ok and the meth is spraying. So i did a pull in 3rd gear (only went to about 7100 rpm), everything felt good, shifted into 4th, reved only to about 6500 it hit like a fuel or boost cut (made a few pops almost like i hit rev limit) , and i let off, put foot on clutch and suddenly the car died. as i rolled to a stop (because now my brakes are locked up) I was like **** i hope i didnt blow the motor, thank god i was able to push it onto my home street (2 feet away) got it onto my street n popped the hood to make sure everythings ok and what not, everything looked normal, meth nozzle didnt pop off or anything, blah blah. I go to turn it over and you know how the ems takes a second for the car to turn over? Well it takes like about 8 seconds, and once it turns over the car revs to about 100rpm and goes right off. The one time it did sort of turn over, it reved to about 1000rpm and then died. I tried starting my car with my foot on the gas completely down just to get it to rev up n possibly start.

So now the car is sitting in my drive way, brakes are locked up (when i try to step on them there extremely stiff) and it wont turn over.

Im thinking possibly another spark plug problem? i didnt wanna pull the spark plug cover off so yeah, or possibly the ecu had some sort of issue? but i dont know why the brakes would lock up? Also the car made a few pops as thou i hit rev limit in 4th gear before they locked up so is there a possibility that something blew?

Anyone have any ideas? Its all greatly appreciated, thanks.

Also keep immature/ignorant comments to yourself. Thanks

new info on page 3

basically just go the car to start up now and rev to about 3000 with my steping on and off the gas, once i let off the gas it died. Also the way it sounded was very deep and loud, alot louder then it usually is

-Chris

Last edited by Pure Playaer; Jan 13, 2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

erm im just gunna bump it early >.<
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
First thing I'd do is put my stock battery back in to see if it resolves your issues. Then I'd check al my connections and grounds. Last, but not least check your fuses. Anything can happen.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

The brakes locked up because there was no power to the car... Take one of your parent's cars in the driveway, leave the key out of it and pump the brakes, they will now become "locked up" until you turn the key to acc and/or on... It has to do with vacuum to the brake booster...

As for the rest of the stuff, that's pretty ****ty...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Damn! sound really $hitty. Is there any leaks around the intercooler piping?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

thanks man long time no talk

the only problem with stock battery is that my upper intercooler pipe wont fit with it? so what should i do?

also why would the brakes lock up?

and how could a fuse stop the car from starting?

not questioning you or anything just idk much about how it all works once u go aem lol
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
Damn! sound really $hitty. Is there any leaks around the intercooler piping?
dont hear any leaks, when the car goes to turn over when starting it also sounds different, why ? idk

any other ideas besides pulling the battery out?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Dude... I just TOLD you why the brakes "locked up"...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
First thing I'd do is put my stock battery back in to see if it resolves your issues. Then I'd check al my connections and grounds. Last, but not least check your fuses. Anything can happen.
+1 on the fuses. Check your fuses under your hood. I had a short from an 02 sensor anti-fouler one time and it burnt my fuses, wasn't able to start my car.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It seems intermitent and electrical, so easy things first provided everything is properly set up. Brake equals no vacuum .
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Brake equals no vacuum .
Thank you for repeating me... Am I talking to myself in a hollow cave??
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Dude... I just TOLD you why the brakes "locked up"...
i posed my comment before yours was posted on my comp, my bad
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

It seems intermitent and electrical, so easy things first provided everything is properly set up. Brake equals no vacuum .
lol wanna hang out tomorrow! jk lol

you dont think i possibly blew anything right? i mean the car is starting every 1 out of 5 times, revving to 100 and then dieing.

also it once reved to about 1000, then died off while still turning the key
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
+1 on the fuses. Check your fuses under your hood. I had a short from an 02 sensor anti-fouler one time and it burnt my fuses, wasn't able to start my car.
but the thing is it has started once to about 1000rpm then died. also it reved from 0 - 1000 really slowly, that 1 time
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Red face

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Thank you for repeating me... Am I talking to myself in a hollow cave??
Looks like your avatar is saying this in frustration. Anyways, to the op, do you have your Ecu? What would happen if you took the aem out and plug up your ecu to see if it starts? Aem might be defective seeing that it went through some technical difficulties. These are just my thoughts and shouldn't be taken as advice but as opinions. Good luck with that man.

Quick Reply: Car wont start, need help fast!