Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"best" battery to replace stock setup...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"best" battery to replace stock setup...

I've got an '04 that I've had for about 2 years. This morning I noticed the lights dimming when my sub (only 450w) hit, so I'm thinking I'm going to need a new battery soon.

I've heard Optima, odyssey, etc. I'm looking for testimonials on install and longevity of different brands, and model numbers if you have em.

Thanks!!!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Optima yellow top (since you have a big car stereo).

I have ran their red top batteries for YEARS in every other vehicle I've owned practically. I had one of their heavy duty red top batteries (the 900 CCA and up models) in my Jeep that was built and used as a rock crawler. This thing would go months at a time without being started, and it never would skip a beat when I went to crank it up. I also had some crazy work lights on the thing that I would use for hours at a time once on the trail, even when the engine was turned off.

Being that I'm now in Chicago, I changed out the battery in my Evo 9 the first time I noticed it was a bit harder to start because of the cold. No, I don't have a heavy hitting stereo or anything, but the stock battery with it's low CCA number just didn't leave me with a good feeling.

PS: For the Evo, make sure you get the GROUP 35 (or 34R) battery. This will have the proper batery terminal post orientation. The 25 is what they will try to sell you at most places because that's what they have in stock and what their computer says will fit.

True, the SIZE of the 25 will fit in the space, but the positive post is on the wrong side of the battery, and if you try to flip the battery around in the engine bay, you'll just have problems because of the OEM positive battery cable and all of the fuses / cables that you will have to bend and junk. Stick with the 35 or the 34R.

Last edited by 90GSX-03EVO; Jan 19, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
Optima yellow top (since you have a big car stereo).

I have ran their red top batteries for YEARS in every other vehicle I've owned practically. I had one of their heavy duty red top batteries (the 900 CCA and up models) in my Jeep that was built and used as a rock crawler. This thing would go months at a time without being started, and it never would skip a beat when I went to crank it up. I also had some crazy work lights on the thing that I would use for hours at a time once on the trail, even when the engine was turned off.

Being that I'm now in Chicago, I changed out the battery in my Evo 9 the first time I noticed it was a bit harder to start because of the cold. No, I don't have a heavy hitting stereo or anything, but the stock battery with it's low CCA number just didn't leave me with a good feeling.

PS: For the Evo, make sure you get the GROUP 35 (or 34R) battery. This will have the proper batery terminal post orientation. The 25 is what they will try to sell you at most places because that's what they have in stock and what their computer says will fit.

True, the SIZE of the 25 will fit in the space, but the positive post is on the wrong side of the battery, and if you try to flip the battery around in the engine bay, you'll just have problems because of the OEM positive battery cable and all of the fuses / cables that you will have to bend and junk. Stick with the 35 or the 34R.

GOOD info