Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The "Official" Evo Modding for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hytek369
both you and keithano probably won't need a fuel pump if you are around 330hp and have Evo 9s
oh ok, so i'd be in the 330 hp range with those few mods huh? That would be fine for me. Now my question is... I have a 3" Megan racing exhaust with cat delete pipe I am ready to install after I get the downpipe. Are the pretty loud? I'm actually one of those people who doesn't like attention drawn to them... if that isn't a good system for this, what should I look at?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
oh ok, so i'd be in the 330 hp range with those few mods huh? That would be fine for me. Now my question is... I have a 3" Megan racing exhaust with cat delete pipe I am ready to install after I get the downpipe. Are the pretty loud? I'm actually one of those people who doesn't like attention drawn to them... if that isn't a good system for this, what should I look at?
I would also like to get input from guys running the megan exhaust. I have a full Megan tbe arriving soon.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want megan because of the price, then you should also consider ebay TBEs from xs power (i think i could spelled it wrong). the quality is pretty good, as good as megan and it is cheaper.

if want something nice, you should check out the exhaust i got. JUN BL is the nicest and highest quality exhaust I ever bought or seen. i have a contact if you want to buy them.

what kind of DP did you buy?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hytek369
if you want megan because of the price, then you should also consider ebay TBEs from xs power (i think i could spelled it wrong). the quality is pretty good, as good as megan and it is cheaper.

if want something nice, you should check out the exhaust i got. JUN BL is the nicest and highest quality exhaust I ever bought or seen. i have a contact if you want to buy them.

what kind of DP did you buy?
I didn't buy one yet, the weren't in stock at the time. I got it for a good price though... I bought it new from a guy on here for about 75.00-100.00 cheaper than I found it anywhere else. I am going to have to get the DP at some point, but I am waiting for some money to come in before I put myself into debt with these few mods.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't buy one yet, the weren't in stock at the time. I got it for a good price though... I bought it new from a guy on here for about 75.00-100.00 cheaper than I found it anywhere else. I am going to have to get the DP at some point, but I am waiting for some money to come in before I put myself into debt with these few mods.
nice same reason I ended up with the megan tbe. Got a kick *** deal that i just couldn't pass up. I'm just curious as to how it sounds and what people's experience has been with it. I've only found like 2 or 3 videos on youtube of them.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Excellent post and thread updates; Questions on uncovered upgrades

Thanks to Chaotichoax, RoadSpike & EGbeater for the excellent summary of mods. I have some additional questions so hopefully these can get answered as thoroughly as the original topics.

Is an upgraded MAP sensor required to accurately log boost with EVOSCAN?
I have a US model 2005 EVO VIII and want to accurately log boost. There are aftermarket 5 bar MAP sensors available and I want to know if they improve the quality of data logging for tuning.

The modifcation summary doesn't cover wideband sensors.
A good tune requires an accurate air/fuel ratio. Maybe some of our evolved members can add this section covering A/F (wideband) guages

Thanks again for all the contributions to this thread.
It is an excellent source of information

2005 Evo VIII RS Rally Red
English Racing Tune with NLTS for 92 octane (John Bradley estimates 308whp)
AEM Wideband, Wallbro 255, Hallman MBC, AMS FMIC & LICP
APEXI Short Intake and K&N cone filter, MR BOV
Invidia Downpipe , 3in hiflow cat (needs to meet Oregon DEQ)
Custom catback 3in straight pipe exhaust
ACT HD Clutch, Swift Swaybars, H&R springs, RMR Kbrace
R1 Concept Slotted/Crossdrilled Rotors; Hawk HPS Pads

Last edited by Tahoe55; Jun 13, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
nice same reason I ended up with the megan tbe. Got a kick *** deal that i just couldn't pass up. I'm just curious as to how it sounds and what people's experience has been with it. I've only found like 2 or 3 videos on youtube of them.
I've got Megan TBE with cat-delete. No too loud at all. Sounds really good.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 09:39 PM

I was wondering if there was a difference in the performance when modding a 5-speed and a 6-speed. I'm looking into picking up a Evo IX and I'm not sure about a normal Evo and a MR. I think I read some where that modding a 5-speed was better then a 6-speed.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubfoot
I was wondering if there was a difference in the performance when modding a 5-speed and a 6-speed. I'm looking into picking up a Evo IX and I'm not sure about a normal Evo and a MR. I think I read some where that modding a 5-speed was better then a 6-speed.
for drag racing of course the 5 speed prevails

if you plan on road racing the car the 6 speed could pose an issue as 4th gear does not appear to handle heat well

I'd get a 5 speed if I had both as an option if I had any intention of racing the car
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
for drag racing of course the 5 speed prevails

if you plan on road racing the car the 6 speed could pose an issue as 4th gear does not appear to handle heat well

I'd get a 5 speed if I had both as an option if I had any intention of racing the car
Thank you much!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:05 PM

YGPM. Great thread
Old Jun 26, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tahoe55
Is an upgraded MAP sensor required to accurately log boost with EVOSCAN?
I have a US model 2005 EVO VIII and want to accurately log boost. There are aftermarket 5 bar MAP sensors available and I want to know if they improve the quality of data logging for tuning.

The modifcation summary doesn't cover wideband sensors.
A good tune requires an accurate air/fuel ratio. Maybe some of our evolved members can add this section covering A/F (wideband) guages
Sorry about the delay in response

Having a MAP sensor certainly will help you log boost with Evoscan. So far i've seen it done in 2 ways. First was with the JDM Map sensor and secondly you can use something like the Zeitronix MAP sensors to log with Evoscan. The sensors certainly make tunning a bit easier since you can follow the boost spikes.

I can definitely say what a wideband is for the general public but i wont go into any opinions on what sensors are "best" simply because its all subjetive.

Here's a short run down on narrow band vs wideband

Narrow band:
A narrowband sensor's job is to keep the car at 14.7 AFR by and unlike a wideband sensor in their operation the voltage output is exponential. So any small deviation from stoichiometric causes the voltage to drop to its lowest point 0.1v or the highest 0.9v. The voltage is produced by an electrochemical fuel cell called the Nernst cell. Its two electrodes provide an output voltage corresponding to the quantity of oxygen in the exhaust relative to that in the atmosphere. The car simply adds or removes fuel based on when the sensor switches from low voltage to high.

Wideband:
These are used to measure the how rich the air to fuel mixture is after the burn in the cylinder. This is important for tuning purposes by optimizing the fuel burnt you can get more power out of the car with less chance of knock. A much more technical explanation is below

Technical:
The sensor itself is an oxygen pump where it pumps oxygen from the outside into the sensor cavity. An electrical current through the pump cell transports the oxygen ions. If the current flows in one direction, oxygen ions are transported from the outside air into the sensor, in the other direction oxygen ions are transported out of the sensor to the outside air. The magnitude of the current determines how many oxygen ions/second are transported, just like the electrical current through a fuel pump determines the fuel transport rate.

In a rich condition the WBO2 controller regulates the pump cell current such that just enough oxygen ions are pumped into the chamber to consume all oxidizable combustion products. This basically produces a stoichiometric condition in the measurement chamber. In a lean condition the controller reverses the pump current so that all oxygen ions are pumped out of the measurement chamber and a stoichiometric condition again exists there. The pump cell is strong enough to pump all oxygen out of the measurement chamber even if it was filled with free air.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:30 PM

Thumbs up Amazing

Perfect thread, answered a lot of my questions so i didn't look like an idiot posting the questions myself . Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach Eight
Perfect thread, answered a lot of my questions so i didn't look like an idiot posting the questions myself . Thanks!
we all had questions at some point and that's why I made this thread

glad myself and the other contributors could help
Old Jun 29, 2008, 06:33 AM

Informative !!!!!!

Thank you chaotichoax!

The information is AWESOME. This is what this forum is all about helping other members .

It help me on determine what I want to do to my new EVO X.

Take care!

Last edited by MyEvoX_MR; Jun 29, 2008 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: The "Official" Evo Modding for Dummies