Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A Rant, profiled and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Rant, profiled and gas mileage

I finally took my first long distance trip since I have been back in the states from NC to MD, but before I get into that....

Rant:
My car was being stored at my moms house while I was in Iraq. Before she drove it down to NC to meet me I had her take it to Schaller Mistubishi in CT to check everything and give it fresh fluids all the way around. When I arrive home my moms complains she had to stop for gas way to often and that it drinks it. I think nothing of it since it does have bad gas mileage. So after I drive it for about 10 minutes, it seems to lack power and responsinveness and sounds like its choking. I go out and pop the hood, everything looks normal. I remove the air box cover and POW the filter lifts about 2 inches up. I remove the filter to find the entire hole cover in straw and crap, like a freakin rats nest. I was freaking pissed to all hell, I cleaned it all out and washed the filter, and she runs like new again. I hate Schaller Mitsubishi.

Profiled:
Well my trip up MD was pretty uneventful. I made it through VA with no problems (for the first time ever). Then I get into MD and I am going with the flow of traffic about 70-75 on I95 where its like a 55 or 60 mph zone. Tons of cars are out I am slowly passing people on the left and there are at least 20 cars in front of me. A marked car comes up behind me. I maintain my speed, granted I was speeding but I wanted to pass two or three trucks before I moved over to let him by. So I move over one lane to the right. He immediatly moves over two lanes. So I drive there for a minute or two waiting for him to go around. After he does not I get back in the left lane and go with the flow which has picked up to about 80-85 now. I still maintain 70-73 as the cars in front of me pull away. He gets back behind me and thats when I knew it was coming. Sure enough 2 minutes laters he pulls me over. He comes up telling me I was speeding. I explain that I saw him and was trying to get out of his way and I was just moving with the flow of traffic and with it being so crowded if I went 60 I would be causing a traffic jam, and that I am sorry I was speeding. He basically tells me to slow down and have a nice day, does not even check my reg/insur. So off I go like WTF???

MPG:
In good news on the trip I made about 260/tank. I still had quite a bit left to but filled up because I had to pee and didnt want to stop again. Gonna try to beat that on the way home tomorrow.

Long post Cliff notes.
Schaller Mistubishi let rats build a nest in my airbox
Cops pull me over for flow of traffic when others doing 90+ in a minivan
Highway MPG gave me a chub.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 06:42 AM
Account Disabled

Yeah I got pulled over in the slow lane getting passed by soccermoms in MD. Its part of driving a car like the Evo. I never get any attention on my DSM and it has no exhaust, lexan rear window, 1400rpm idle, and will let flames out under the car from time to time.

Its really quite unfortunate that its like this. My passangers complain about how slow I drive in MD with the Evo and I'm still getting pulled over.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like the nest was built while being stored at your moms house. That wouldn't happen over night at the dealership assuming that is was only there for a day or two. We see nests built all the time (usually in blower boxes) when cars sit alot near a wooded area. The dealership certainly should have caught it while they were working on it though!! At least none of the debris made it into the engine (I hope). Being profiled does suck, Md state troopers seem to prefer sport compacts to pick on. When I had my eclipse I was pulled over many more times for stupid things (ie: tint, headlight covers in daytime, etc.) then my mustang which has many of those same things. Congrats on the mpg.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

260/tank not bad at all, although my best was 330+, ecu tuned.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 01:21 PM

260 mpg for a tank, dang I need to stay out of the throttle