Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can stock clutch handle 400whp?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can stock clutch handle 400whp?

Can the stock Evo 9 clutch handle 400whp? With the mods on my car right now, im probably putting down between 330-350whp on 93 pump gas, and my car seems perfectly fine. But since I have a test pipe, I can use some of the 113 Octane leaded race gas they sell around here, get reflashed, and turn up the boost to 30psi to get 400whp.

Do you think the car can safely handle that much power though? I have 15k miles on my car so the clutch is still in relatively good condition, but I dont know if its strong enough.

Thanks.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

well if u are abusive drive,, like lauching a lot, and speeding alot.. then changing the clutch now would be the best thing you can do
if you are a normal driver, and go on WOT once in a while.. the clutch will hold it..

but in either case.. the stock clutch will not last you that long... i guess that would be ur next mod...

good luck
Old May 2, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it is, until you launch it.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I have had my car for a year and I haven't launched it once. Will it be fine if I gun it once in a while from a roll?
Old May 2, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

yea it will aslong as u dnt launch it...cuz that really kills the clutch...
Old May 2, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
Well, I have had my car for a year and I haven't launched it once. Will it be fine if I gun it once in a while from a roll?
it will probably last about 8000 to 10000 more miles, with 400whp on it, better off to go ahead and change it now rather than wait for it to go out, cause then ull have 0 whp, i got an exedy twin disc, it works great, and im at 390 whp
Old May 2, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

once in a while yes, rolls are fine. Launching will kill it. I agree with GuzMan on all but one thing. Changing it now... This is how I see it. You're not going to be able to sell it for it's weight in dog ****, so there's no reason to dump it now. Let it buy you some time to save up, be a bit gentle on it and change it out when it starts showing signs of slipping and you are good and ready to pay. Just remember when you're shopping for another clutch; the stock {mitsu} clutch was built to give out before transferring any damage potential to the drive train, is your new clutch going to do this?
Old May 2, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Any clutch you guys recommend for this power level? I have heard good things about the Exedy twin disc, but haven't tried it in person. I assume its stiffer and louder than stock?
Old May 2, 2008, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

For a lil while
Old May 2, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Any clutch you guys recommend for this power level? I have heard good things about the Exedy twin disc, but haven't tried it in person. I assume its stiffer and louder than stock?
exedy is great, its loud when its first installed but after awhile it quiets down, but there is a light squeal when going into first, but ive asked about that on here as well, and everybody said that was normal, its just one of the characteristics of a racing clutch
Old May 2, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Can the stock Evo 9 clutch handle 400whp? With the mods on my car right now, im probably putting down between 330-350whp on 93 pump gas, and my car seems perfectly fine. But since I have a test pipe, I can use some of the 113 Octane leaded race gas they sell around here, get reflashed, and turn up the boost to 30psi to get 400whp.

Do you think the car can safely handle that much power though? I have 15k miles on my car so the clutch is still in relatively good condition, but I dont know if its strong enough.

Thanks.
IMO, no it wont hold the power even if you dont launch it, if you even drive it hard plan to replace it very, very quickly. I was tuned to 332whp / 338 trq by TTP on a stock clutch, within 3 weeks of spirited driving with no launches the clutch was toast!

I threw the Exedy twin HD in and have since upgraded my fuel pump and FMIC and got a retune by 4WS and the clutch is still going strong. 4WS was surprised at how new my clutch felt when he drove it because I really dont launch it. he did a 1-2-3-4-5 pull and nailed each gear within .02 sec and 1st to 2nd we heard a loud bark, I thought it was the tires, he says "damn you really dont beat on this thing do you? That was your clutch making that noise!"

I thought that the stocker felt strong but then one day it just started to go, and when I say go, that thing was losing power very quick because it couldnt handle it. Do yourself a favor and dont retune to 113 oct unless you have the funds ready to go very shortly to get a new clutch put in.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

get the Exedy Twin HD, you will hear plenty of stories very shortly about the ACT is better or the Exedy is better. Do a little research on this site and make a decision for yourself, but IMO you cant go wrong with the Exedy

Originally Posted by 4bangn
exedy is great, its loud when its first installed but after awhile it quiets down, but there is a light squeal when going into first, but ive asked about that on here as well, and everybody said that was normal, its just one of the characteristics of a racing clutch
Squeal into first? I have never heard anyone say that is normal. I have the twin hd and have never heard it squeal even once. I have heard it chatter at a stop and thats it. if yours is squealing i would be concerned
Old May 2, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

nobody has mentioned that you should be asking how many ft/lb's of torque it can handle, not whp.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:27 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Stock clutch is not ok at that power level. More important is how fast will you turn the engine? Most stock or stock type clutches cannot slow the input shaft down fast enough. You're going to grind and kill your drivetrain. Do yourself a favor and get a multi plate clutch. Heavy steel stamped plates over stock type clutches are only decent for moderate power increases.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yellowEVO21
nobody has mentioned that you should be asking how many ft/lb's of torque it can handle, not whp.
Finally. Someone said it.

Yes! Your stock clutch will hold 400WHP!!! The question is... at what RPM???

Quick Reply: Can stock clutch handle 400whp?