Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bad Cam Sensor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Bone dry
thanks for the confirmation.

I removed the exhaust sensor to clean it up and found oil in the housing. after wiping up the oil on the sensor, my AFR is now 18-20 and no longer driveable. I'm now stuck with the same issue as KevOVIII posted, and the engine is looping as though i have got some high lift cams(stock cams btw). would i have jumped a timing with just removing the exhaust Cam sensor(i did not remove the cover with the 3 bolts)?

Name:  20140118_232317_zps6zckfkhq.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  111.2 KB[/URL]

=======
Originally Posted by KevOVIII
Sorry to bring back an old thread. So the fix to the CAS housing filling up with oil is to take off the housing and reinstall it using less sealant (with the valvecover and bearing #6 off)? I just installed some cams and I'm having idle/drivability issues. When I checked the CAS trigger by taking off the 3 bolts, a ton of oil came out.

What idle/drivability problems did you guys experience with the CAS housing full of oil? Will it cause the car to run lean? Mine was running 20-ish AFR and was almost impossible to drive.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hycool; Jan 19, 2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added photo
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:11 AM

some updates but still having issue

i search and read threads on the sensor trigger that would cause misfire if it was installed upside down. however, i have not remove the cover(with 3 bolts) and touch any part of it. i just remove the single bolt holding the sensor. I have since tried replacing the sensor with a new one, but it is still running lean.

This only happened after removing and cleaning the sensor. 2 weeks back, i also replaced the Throttle body and change to samco coolant hose.

to do:
- i will try to remove the 3 bolts and check the sensor trigger plate at TDC.
- relocate the sensor ground to another location

meanwhile, appreciate any suggestions on what else to look out for

more info on my ride
- stock engine internals, only has some intake, exhaust bolt on.
- currently 95k KM mileage (59K miles)
- no error codes showing
- engine starts without a problem but goes lean immediately, tried to disconnect the ex cam sensor harness and car would not start.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:41 PM

Final update. Car is back to normal without anything done.

I did not find any fault with the cam sensor both new n old. Currently still using my old cam sensor. All boost/vaccum checked but could not narrow down to why the cold start was very lean. My tuner also updated the tune for cold start to be safe. Things currently yet to be fixed are a slight exhaust leak before the cat and a dying O2 front sensor.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey my car threw the ses. Ran it and it was the cam sensor and car runs fine. I just put the new one on and drive the same as before. But I found that there was oil in the housing. What is the oil all about? Please somebody explain!!!