Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What if?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if?

I have a little What If for you guys.

What if you owned an 08 GTS and had the chance to trade it flat out for a 03 VIII. Would you do it?

Now take into consideration the perks of both, the GTS has navi, better sound system, higher MPG, and its of course new and probably costs less insurance wise.

Whereas the evo 8 is a tried and true bad *** turbo'd car that has the potential to get 22mpg which is what i get in my GTS without trying.

So i guess my question to you, is considering the economy, and the features of each, speed vs comforts. If given the chance, would you trade that GTS for the VIII?

Edit: Another factor would be, GTS has 16k Miles, Evo 8 has 65k miles.

Edit2: Here is said Evo 8
http://images2.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/...9_62885#49.jpg

Last edited by DoHBoY; Jul 7, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Think about costs of repair and gas. If money isn't an issue for you and $4.50 per gallon of premium into a 14 gallon tank, and blown transfer cases and transmission rebuilds and that damn mod bug aren't going to pinch your pockets, then do it. If you're not sure then stick with the GTS, besides navi is one thing that I want but what I don't want is a windshield full of suction cups for radar and nav.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
high maintenance, gas, and mileage... If you can afford it I say go for it... Otherwise just keep the GTS and save for a bit
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
that's a good looking evo but the miles would raise concern- has it had the 60k service? That's a huge chunck of change, and the tires will be gone in 15k miles if you drive it right.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Personally I wouldn't buy a used car with over 30,000 mi. There are too many things that could be wrong. Especially evos. They are high maintenance cars too. Plus you WILL want to mod! And that gets expensive quick! I say stick with your GTS and maybe try to get into the new Ralliart lancer.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Keep the GTS unless you're willing to put up with maintainence for the extra "go".
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

The evo is clean and nice.....i drive an evo myself but i rather have comfort then speed dont get me wrong i have a evo IX but i dont think i would go from my 06 evo to to downgrade plus you can forget about the warranty on the evo!!!! but then again if its something you really want and you can afford it go for it!!!!!!.....
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys! I will probably be looking at the new ralliart or just getting a GSR next year (They are already down to 29k stock at some dealerships so they should drop a bit more im sure) Then ill have a new car with waranty and such. And i know for a fact the Mod bug is going to bite hard... specially since they are so proven to be buildable to 600+whp.... a dream but NEVER gonna happen!

By the way, take a look at the pictures, i just noticed that the rear passanger wheel is actually missing a nut.. or even the entire bolt it seems. Pretty Crazy, no clue how that one could happen.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

depends on how much you love the acceleration feel of the turbo
if u are just going to drive normally in the evo
forget it
if you are addicted into the acceleration feel of the evo
then get it by all means
a car you own should be the car you love the most
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DoHBoY
By the way, take a look at the pictures, i just noticed that the rear passanger wheel is actually missing a nut.. or even the entire bolt it seems. Pretty Crazy, no clue how that one could happen.
That is not the only one missing. The driver’s rear is missing 3 lug nuts.

I also think you are right about the passenger one missing the bolt all together.
To even test drive that seems pretty unsafe until all the lugs are on. But that is just me I sort of like to know all of my wheels are on pretty solid when driving in traffic or taking corners.
Also a question I have is why put drilled/slotted rotors on the front only and not all the way around?
Raist
Old Jul 7, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Haha i didnt notice that. Lets see what else we can pull out of this :P Man, im going to feel bad if the guy sends me an email back saying he would consider it and i have to tell him there is no way in hell im going to purchase or trade for an Evo this half assed and MISSING A BOLT for the tires. The lugnuts are replacable... but a bolt??? Tells me this car hasnt been inspected one bit.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

an evo is an evo, btw it looks clean and in great condition.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well, what are you going to do with the car? If you can deal with the hassle of owning an Evo than go for it.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

buy a honda fit
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Doit, you only live once.