Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How to clean evo engine?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go up to the self car wash and use the engine/wheel cleaner option. Its the green soap on low pressure, it degreeses everyting makes everying look new in seconds. I spray it with the spot free rinse, so it's not too high of pressure and it wont spot when it dries. Its great for all the hard to reach places!!!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by wreckless969
The water and the hot Exhaust mani don't have an issue?
Id think not but Iv only have my Evo a lil while and when I washed the car after it was hot water rolled down in the vent and steam came out so I got a lil worried about it cracking and waited for it to cool down before continuing.
Water will not hurt anything but getting into the intake. THink about how many people drive in the rain... Water gets everywhere... the degreaser, hose water, or if you can hook the hose up to your laundry room tap and get hot water, that works real well. All you need is some sort of polished, some cue-tips, and patients. There are so many places where dirt gets that seems impossible to clean, so just take your time. I usualy start on the top and work my way down. Then go to all the hoses and connectors. I would give yourself at least an hour to do it all...
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dRifT iT
Water will not hurt anything but getting into the intake. THink about how many people drive in the rain... Water gets everywhere... the degreaser, hose water, or if you can hook the hose up to your laundry room tap and get hot water, that works real well. All you need is some sort of polished, some cue-tips, and patients. There are so many places where dirt gets that seems impossible to clean, so just take your time. I usualy start on the top and work my way down. Then go to all the hoses and connectors. I would give yourself at least an hour to do it all...
Yeah I thought about the rain and what also but you know new Evo owner, kinda paranoid about breaking something when my car doesn't run right as is :-/
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by compscibOi
I never use water in the engine bay. Cover the intake and get some cleaner / polish from a motorcycle dealer.

I have a GSXR-1000 and you can literally spray this stuff on plastic, mirrors, wheels, rims, seats and electronics. It cleans, polishes and repels dirt/grime.

I spray the engine bay and wipe with a microfiber towel.

You can touch up the hoses and lines with wheel detailer for a shine.
This stuff works great. highly recommened it.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

I use Griot's Garage Engine Cleaner, spray it on then spray it off. Easy as hell.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Go to one of those DIY washing places. Pop the hood, and get the pressure washer and set for engine clean and spray that ***** on the engine. Make sure that you are quick and cover the intake with a plastic bag.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

While I've seen many people use the "engine wash" option at my local self service car wash; it always scares me to take a hose and spray down the engine bay.

I prefer the elbow grease method of hand wipes to clean off any grease and grime, followed by some engine detailer (or quick detailer).

I like to use Lexol Vinylex on rubber and plastic surfaces; it leaves a very nice non-greasy finish that's not too shiny (more of a matte finish).
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

The first time i washed the engine bay in my old neon, the tps sensor got water in it and corroded. That was the last time i washed my engine bay with water.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by compscibOi
I never use water in the engine bay. Cover the intake and get some cleaner / polish from a motorcycle dealer.

I have a GSXR-1000 and you can literally spray this stuff on plastic, mirrors, wheels, rims, seats and electronics. It cleans, polishes and repels dirt/grime.

I spray the engine bay and wipe with a microfiber towel.

You can touch up the hoses and lines with wheel detailer for a shine.

I hate to quote myself, but everyone is spewing random BS in here. Take my word - Yes rain gets in your engine bay but you don't need it to clean the engine bay.

Use the Honda Spray and you will like the results.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Those degreasers always make me nervous. One of the first times i used an engine degreaser to clean the engine bay of my porsche 944. a few drops got on the front bumper and kind of blotched up the paint.

Would this honda spray stuff do that too? Where do you get the honda spray stuff at? I did a search and also found that a lot of people use Simple Green too...

Last edited by SoundBoy4; Jul 29, 2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
Account Disabled

As earlier stated twice: Honda spray can be found at any motorcycle dealership.

Last edited by compscibOi; Jul 29, 2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SoundBoy4
Those degreasers always make me nervous. One of the first times i used an engine degreaser to clean the engine bay of my porsche 944. a few drops got on the front bumper and kind of blotched up the paint.

Would this honda spray stuff do that too? Where do you get the honda spray stuff at? I did a search and also found that a lot of people use Simple Green too...
Yeah most degreasers can be a bit corrosive. That's why they warn about leaving it one plastic and rubber parts. It's not a fun lesson. But the good thing about engine degreaser is that it is completely water soluble so water takes it off completely, along with all the gunk.

I think I am going to do the same and check into the Honda spray. Maybe I'll just change the name to Mitsubishi spray so the car doesn't see it.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by felickz
The first time i washed the engine bay in my old neon, the tps sensor got water in it and corroded. That was the last time i washed my engine bay with water.
Look at our evos, the water goes right through the hood.

They are made with weather packs, you just have to be smart where you spray the water, and how high pressure you spray it.

Its always good to do it while its running too!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SoundBoy4

no it wont. i have seen people clean thier whole, well in this case truck and bike with the honda spray
Old Jul 29, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

I personally wouldn't go with the hose, either a cleaner or a steam gun then spray with pressurized air.

Quick Reply: How to clean evo engine?