Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car Dies on side of the highway. Next day it starts like nothing happened?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Dies on side of the highway. Next day it starts like nothing happened?

Hi, had a weird experience in my evo 1 last night. may be a long post sorry.

After driving somewhat enthusiasticly on the highway i decided to slow down to 110 KM/H. a few Km's later i tried to speed up to pass a slow moving car. As soon as i fed it a bit more gas the engine stuttered badly. i let off, then tried to accelerate again. it stuttered even worse, so i popped it in neutral and coasted onto an off ramp. As i coasted i lost my power steering and the oil and battery light came on. i didn't appear to lose power, lights didn't dim at all.

I feared the oil wasn't getting where it needed to be or something so i shut her off immediately. i let it cool down for a bit then checked oil, prestone and PS fluid levels.
Prestone was a bit low(in resevoir) but not empty, rad was full. Oil and PS were good. i noticed the smell of burning coolant slightly.

so i tried to start it back up, it started, but stalled immediately.i tried a few more times and the only way it would run for more then a second is if i held the gas a bit. So i towed her home.

Today after work i topped up the prestone and started it up. it was like nothing ever happened!! idled as it always had.

Could i have overheated from the hard driving a few KMs before i had the problem?(my Temp Gauge never went above where it usually sits) or does is sound like an electrical problem? i'm really a newb when it comes to Evo's. Has anyone experienced this problem? or have any idea what could have happened??

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
Old Aug 2, 2008, 06:29 PM

I forgot to say, i havn't actually driven it since. do you think it's ok to drive or should i tow it to my tuner shop (about an hour away)?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any chance it could be intercooler piping come loose?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmmm, this kind of problem does resemble an overheating issue followed by a blown headgasket or an electrical problem but you just told us that the oil temp gauge never went above normal levels. Nevertheless, check for both things just in case.

Also check your pipings and your battery terminals as well, they might be loose.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This really could be anything, but the first thing I'd check is to see if you have a small coolant leak somewhere. It also could be a malfunctioning sensor or ECU.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the responses, i checked the IC piping and battery terminals. They were both tight as ever. i checked as best i could for a coolant leak, and i found none.
So i suppose it is an ECU, Sensor or ( Hopefully not) some kind of electrical demons...

I realize over the internet it's impossible to tell me exactly what's wrong, but i appeciate the effort for those who gave suggestions...

i'm gonna take it for a easy ride later, and see if anything happens.

Thanks again
Wes
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:49 PM

Oh also, Checking if the head gasket is done.... the easiest way would be If i have Oil in the coolant or vice versa = head gasket, Right???
Old Aug 3, 2008, 02:29 PM

so i took it for what ended up being a very brief spin. made it 3 houses down the road and as soon as i gave it a tiny bit of gas it stuttered again, then i shifted to neutral. Again the Oil light and Battery light came on and i lost my power steering as well as stalling the car. started it up (with no Warning light coming on), but had to give it gas to keep it from stalling and slowly coaxed her home.

I guess this is over my head a bit, i'm no mechanic. so i'll tow it to my tuner shop.

Thanks again for the suggestions
Old Aug 3, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is very weird....I'm not sure what to tell you. Hopefully your tuner can figure it out.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:58 AM

So i Checked around again under my hood for anything loose. i did discover on my speaker wire ground kit ( don't laugh it's the way it came when i bought it ) that one of the bolts a wire was grounded under had almost completely worked it's way
loose, i tightened her up, but i'm still scared to drive it. could this little loose ground have caused all my problems???
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:57 AM

I was thinking it sounded more like a vacuum/boost leak... but could be a ground issue.... though i doubt it....
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

What about spark plugs? Does it only stutter under boost?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

plugs plugs plugs.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:44 PM

stutters before boost. i'm saying trying to accelerate like super lightly. only way i got home last time was keeping it at 2000 RMP.
the first time i was going 110Km/h on the highway and tried to very lightly speed up to 115 or 120. so not in boost really.

For some reason i can't find my long extender to pull the plugs, i'll borow 1 tomorrow.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 06:15 AM

Is the car modded? When I had a V Stg 2 on my WRX with Unichip (yeah that long ago), the crimped connections by-passing the ECU signal to the Unichip and back to the ECU got loose one day. One of those was the Throttle Position signal. It did exactly what you described. Having larger injectors and a piggyback ECU with bad electrical connections was really, really bad. I'd check all your mods and anything electrical if you recently installed it.

Good luck.

tk