Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Still missing my Evo... the bug has bitten me again... what to do!!!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still missing my Evo... the bug has bitten me again... what to do!!!?

Well, it all started in May... I had a Buscher 3065 Powered Evo, that was making 432whp with a stock intercooler, stock UICP via DLL. The car was a beast. I began to get a little bored with the car & didnt want to spend any more money on it, so I entertained the idea of selling it. One thing led to another, and then I wanted a C5 Corvette. I traded the Evo a few weeks later.

I had the Corvette about a week and a half, and realized how crappy the interior was, and how junky everything felt, and soon after, I completely hated the car! I immediately put it up for sale, and after about 3 weeks, it sold to an individual (and I made $1750 off the deal. ).

Even after making a little money off the Corvette, I was still around $3200 in negative equity, and I had to make sure I could fit that on my new car loan. So, long story short, it was difficult to shop around, because I had to find a vehicle that was cheap enough, with a higher NADA value to fit that negative equity into... I began searching for SC300's, IS300's, and MKIV Supras. Well, I ended up deciding on the '98 Supra NA that I own now. Flew down to Houston & picked it up.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Supra that I have right now...infact its one of my favorite cars, although the problem im having is I dearly miss boost! The car is just so damn slow, that its killing me here...

So the last couple of days, I have began entertaining the Evo idea again, and perhaps selling my Supra. The reason why I didnt buy another Evo after selling the Corvette, was because I refuse to buy another Evo8, and the Evo9s are usually priced over $25k-$30k... and NADA only values them at 25k flat. (Which is what my bank goes with to value them.)

I now have enough equity into my Supra, where I could technically sell it & break even... and I could buy a White Evo9 like ive always wanted. Entertaining this idea has got me a bit excited about the whole idea, but I just dont know if I should let go of the Supra or not. The Supra is an amazing vehicle, even being NA, and I had plans of swapping in the TT GTE motor, (About $6-8k), but I think I would have a bit more fun in the Evo.

What is everyone's impressions, Evo vs Supra? Should I just hold onto the Supra and do the $8k TT swap, or should I come back to the Evo9 side, spend about a grand and have an 11 second car.

Payments would technically be $75-85 cheaper a month with the Evo as well, since you can get a longer term too.

Let me know what you guys think, and please give me some serious insight here (especially if you owned both cars), I dont want any bogus answers.

Thanks!

P.S. Another thing I did not think about either, is we have ice/snow during the winters. Driving my turbo miata around was near impossible... but the Evo last year did an amazing job. I could go anywhere & not think twice. The Supra... gives me nightmares just thinking about going through the snow.

Last edited by CrackerJackToy; Aug 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
sell the Supra then buy the IX, problem solved
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You loved the Evo.

You began to get a little bored with it but something that you have everyday you will tend to feel that way sometimes.

"You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

You realized the Corvette wasn't for you.

The supra doesn't have that wonderful boost feeling.

Not to mention, as we all know, Evo = amazing.

Buy a WW Evo IX.

Hopefully thats enough serious insight for you
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Id boost the supra.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

If I'm not mistaken, why can't you just boost your N/A?

I love the evo a ton, don't get me wrong... but the Supra is in another league

For everyday, the Evo is way more practical.
If practicallity isn't an issue, which I assume it isn't because you own a supra now, I'd say stick with it.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

funny... I was about to sell my evo9 in order to purchase this pristine white z06 that I found. luckily, all I ever got were flakes and now ive put so much into the 9 that its never going anywhere now. I wonder if I would have felt the same about the vette... I think u shouldve bought a turbo supra to begin w if u were able to obtain a loan for a car that old. (thats the difficulty in buying supras & the high prices owners ask) but im guessing that was exactly the problem w u getting a turbo. (price way above nada)
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by m4tt VIII
If I'm not mistaken, why can't you just boost your N/A?

I love the evo a ton, don't get me wrong... but the Supra is in another league

For everyday, the Evo is way more practical.
If practicallity isn't an issue, which I assume it isn't because you own a supra now, I'd say stick with it.
Boosting NA Supras is fine before 1998. In 1998 they came out with VVTi and there is no plug & play tuning sources for this model. The only tuning that works, is AEM FIC, & eManage (And I dont want a standalone.). Plus, the cost of the turbo kit, $4500 for a decent kit, plus since im auto, the tranny cant hold much power over 300whp...so I would have to buy a TT auto...not to mention, you need a thicker head gasket to lower compression.

In the end, its less money pretty much to just buy the TT GTE motor, and swap it in. Trust me, ive researched the hell out of the best possible deals, and the most efficient route's... a GTE swap > Boosting my VVTi motor.

Last edited by CrackerJackToy; Aug 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TakaseEVOIXSE
funny... I was about to sell my evo9 in order to purchase this pristine white z06 that I found. luckily, all I ever got were flakes and now ive put so much into the 9 that its never going anywhere now. I wonder if I would have felt the same about the vette... I think u shouldve bought a turbo supra to begin w if u were able to obtain a loan for a car that old. (thats the difficulty in buying supras & the high prices owners ask) but im guessing that was exactly the problem w u getting a turbo. (price way above nada)
Buying a TT 1998 Supra (the only year Supra you can still get a normal loan through a bank, since most credit unions will do 10 years and newer back), the NADA value on TT's are 33k+. I didnt want a $750+ car payment each month.

P.S. Alot of banks have classic car loans. Anyone can get an appraisel done to there vehicle, and the bank will loan that amount. You must put down a huge down though to get the loan, plus the max they will is 36 months... atleast with my credit union anyway.

Last edited by CrackerJackToy; Aug 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:15 PM

It's a tough decision. It really boils down to how patient vs how long you plan on owning the car.

If you can wait say 2 yrs as is... the supra is the way to go.
If not, the evo is the way to go.

They are just cars, and you should always make more money. Eventually you can always get whatever again (if your still into it). The fact is the supra is a special car. Much more so then a evo. The rareness, the power, the handling, and the prestige. It is one of the only imports that gets respect across the board and still has timeless looks. The evo is Waaaaaaaaay more practicle and definately fun. For a DD, evo 100%.

Either way you have a supra or a evo... a good problem to have
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JamesN
Either way you have a supra or a evo... a good problem to have
This is very true.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
Account Disabled

Sounds kinda like what I went through:

Bought an M3 back in 2005
Bought a Scion xA in 2006 to use as a daily driver
Sold the M3 and xA and bought a Roush
Sold the Roush and bought an Audi TT

Finally realized that the evo is the car for me and I look forward to driving it everyday. Sure I get use to the power from time to time but the grin on my face never goes away

Get your Evo and call it a day
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

You've got a very nice car already. I'd say keep it, save up, and get your self another evo. I think you'll be much happier with two beasts rather than one.

P.S. Boost your Supra.... You'll be MUCH more satisfied.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

EDIT: Sell your supra and get an EVO.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Get your finances straightened out, then sell your car and buy an Evo.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

^+2 just hold on to the supra and buy a beater for the winter and then when you won't be too much into the hole decide what you are going to do. I'd definitely keep the Supra Though it's rare can be made really quick and looks way better than an Evo.

Quick Reply: Still missing my Evo... the bug has bitten me again... what to do!!!?