Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GDI Mod Potential

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2002, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GDI Mod Potential

Hey Rax and pjal, could either of you tell me whether or not if they replaced the 4G63 with the GDI, if it would still have the same mod potential as the original 4G63? The 4G63 has huge mod potential. Does the GDI have as much support? That is what I want to know. At this moment I don't know if they released the Evolution VIII(and replaced the 4G63) is a good thing or not. Although it is more effecient and all, but does it have the mod potential to hold up the name of the Evolution line of of cars?
Old Apr 30, 2002, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

I doubt anyone has these answers, but an engine using GDI supposedly has 10% greater output and torque at all speeds. "To achieve power superior to conventional MPI engines, the GDI engine has a high compression ratio and a highly efficient air intake system, which result in improved volumetric efficiency."

I don't see why most of the normal mod's couldn't be used anyhow.

Check here:

http://web1.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/...GDI/page1.html
Old Apr 30, 2002, 06:31 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

I agree with Mordeth; no one really knows at this point.

If did release the Evo VIII with a GDI engine, then it would only be a matter of time before all of the tuners have parts available.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaX
I agree with Mordeth; no one really knows at this point.

If did release the Evo VIII with a GDI engine, then it would only be a matter of time before all of the tuners have parts available.
I agree with Rax, who agrees with Mordeth. There are a few Mitsu models running around on the island with GDI engine...two off the top of my head are the Cedia and the Pajero I believe. There may be more and I may be wrong.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:00 AM

This new GDI thing still scares me. If they came out with the evo VII here, and it had GDI, i dont know if I would get it. I mean, what high performence car has it already?? and it seems like such a new thing. to me, it reminds me of one of those gas/electric hybrids, they are way more efficient, and who knows, maybe mor torque for the engine size, but hell, would you ever see one on the strip??? it basically sounds like a good idea for a commuter car, but not for a car as high ranked as the evo, that already has respect around the world in countrys where it doesnt even yet exist. is on a roll, i hope they dont stop it.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

I for one am not scared of the GDI. I don't know why every one has to trip every time some innovative technology comes out. The EVO has a **** load of well engineered technology, so why the scare over GDI. I guess the Honda crowd should have been scared of the VTEC

New technology is just part of the Evolution of new automobiles. I guess gave the EVO the correct name, since technology is what the EVO is all about.

Or maybe we should revert back to carbs, drum brakes, no power steering....

Last edited by 1stinline; Apr 30, 2002 at 07:48 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:39 AM

good point.......just dont know how it will be. i guess we are scared of change cause almost EVERY other car, that has "evolved" in the past year or so, has done it in a BAD way......we have integra to rsx, old impreza to new(boxier), evo 6 to 7 (worse looking), well im sure you catch my drift, I just hope something good comes of it.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 10:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Personally I think all three of the cars you named came out better in just about every way. Tried and true does not mean there's no room for a complete overhaul. If you don't build new platforms you'll never be able to progress. past a certain point.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I personally think that if Mitsu were to make the next Evolution car GDI then we'd see a higher displacement/higher compression engine making huge power without a turbo That don't sound like a bad idea to me
Old Apr 30, 2002, 11:08 AM

Did you guys know that the EVO VII in japan was suppose to come in with an GDI Turbo?! so why are u guys tripping now ..lol
Attached Thumbnails GDI Mod Potential-gdi_turbo.jpg  
Old Apr 30, 2002, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

well I guess I was wrong. I wonder if they managed to keep the compression up.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Stupid of me not to notice this before the GDI is meant to be a ULEV vehicle. With US emission standards I'd say it has the potential to become even an SULEV vehicle. I would say modifying this engine means you will not pass emissions. so the GDI might equal bad news for serious tuning although I could be wrong.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

1stinline, I'm not scared of the change from the 4G63 to the GDI. Its just that the 4G63 has quite an extensive list of mods and was formed through time. The GDI is a new engine and all so would that mean it would take as long or longer to get as much mods as the 4G63? Maybe. Could anyone link me to a site that talks about this Evo VII with he turbo'ed GDI? I just want to know if I could mod the GDI to beyond the 4G63 or not? What is all this talk about emissions as well? Is the U.S. level to low or what?
Old Apr 30, 2002, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Dark Evo
1stinline, I'm not scared of the change from the 4G63 to the GDI. Its just that the 4G63 has quite an extensive list of mods and was formed through time. The GDI is a new engine and all so would that mean it would take as long or longer to get as much mods as the 4G63? Maybe. Could anyone link me to a site that talks about this Evo VII with he turbo'ed GDI? I just want to know if I could mod the GDI to beyond the 4G63 or not? What is all this talk about emissions as well? Is the U.S. level to low or what?
As previously stated right here in this thread, because it(GDI) is so new I don't think anyone really has all of these answers. However, IF it became available I am sure all of tuners would have parts available ASAP.

What specific mod's are you talking about anyhow?
Old Apr 30, 2002, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by silverEVO
good point.......just dont know how it will be. i guess we are scared of change cause almost EVERY other car, that has "evolved" in the past year or so, has done it in a BAD way......we have integra to rsx, old impreza to new(boxier), evo 6 to 7 (worse looking), well im sure you catch my drift, I just hope something good comes of it.
I won't comment on the WRX, however the RSX type-s blows the fu$%in doors off the integra GS-R. I have owned a GS-R integra and when I drove the type S I was very impressed in the difference. Where Acura screwed up is they didn't keep an eye on the new competition. THe WRX just flat out kills the RSX all around and probably will out perform the new type-R when it comes here as well.

I for one don't think the EVO has evolved in a bad way at all. I like the look of the VII, VI, V and so on. But the technology wrapped up in the VII in my opinion makes for a superior car that I am definately impressed with.

Quick Reply: GDI Mod Potential