Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What Did You Do To Your Evo Today? 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 07:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by stgevo8
Recently my evo 8 2003 started to run really rough idle . But no loss of power. Took to local tuner and he said the car has cams and the rough idle was normal with cams. Anybody out there have any idea? Note I have owned the car for over 10 years never did it idle like this. Please help with an answer,, sorry I’m a newbie to evo m
@stgevo8

Hey, thanks for posting up. Did your turner actually pull a log from the ECU while doing some street pulls. A log can really show a lot of parameters that can hint at issues

When was your last tune? When was the last maintenance done (spark plugs and such)
The following users liked this post:
stgevo8 (Mar 14, 2019)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks or the reply.. tuner did not do any runs yet just changed basics rev limit and deleted back o2. I have never had it tuned. Car started to run rough so I did plugs wires and coils. But like I said for about 10 years it had smoothidle and when the idle changed that’s when we decided we needed a tune no real mods new fmic one got damaged still stock turbo and fuel. I am just lost on how the car suddenly has cams or at least sound like it. But the positive is it seems more responsive after small tweets by the tuner. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks again
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Mar 15, 2019)
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 295 Likes on 236 Posts
Changed the oil after 2500 miles and one track event. It was black... Trying out Rotella T6 this time around. Also put the factory intake snorkel back on. Figure it might do something. While the hood was popped, I poked my head around and found a pleasant surprise. Last time I removed the headers heat shield, one of the bolts snapped off. So I left it without 1 bolt. Today, I notice there is no more snapped off bolt stuck in the header. Must have came out on it's own! Found another 8mm bolt, lubed it up with some anti-sieze, shoved it in and we are back in business.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Finally got around to installing my quartermaster twin disc and HRB
Attached Thumbnails What Did You Do To Your Evo Today? 2023-photo537.jpg   What Did You Do To Your Evo Today? 2023-photo779.jpg  
Old Mar 20, 2019, 09:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I made a little switched 12v fuse panel for all my gauges.

The cruise control fuse () which is a switched 12v, powers a relay which gets power from the battery & grounds back to the battery with the grounding block.

Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Drove to Sears which has always been my goto for hand tools to view their last minutes. The Craftsman section is gutted. I bought a kit of probes for my multimeter and my wife bought a clock. There's not much left in the store except $2000 clothes washers marked down to 1500. Goodbye Sears.
Well Harbor Freight has had better tools for a number of years now.

I used crapsmen about 10-12 years ago, and once I started doing this for a living, I moved away with quickness. Its really sad that a large percentage of the chineesium in harbor freight is better than any US made tool you don't get on a tool truck. But ofc if you are only working on your own stuff, you don't really need Snapon or Mac. And just stay away from matco. "US" tools.... No a lot of their stuff is rebranded KD/Gearwrench made stuff. Good tools sure, but not worth the matco price.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Took off the window visors; the RS only had painted door frames and the Florida sun had straight burned through the paint in the few years it's been down here.
Wrapped the frames like a gsr/mr with matte black vinyl from Avery.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing since my car has been at English racing for 5 days 🥺 I want it back sure it’s okay driving my wife’s STI but I miss my evo 9 RS
Old Mar 31, 2019, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pumped out the last of the leftover 91oct i was running for the winter and filled it with some of that sweet sweet corn juice. Hello spring!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered 2 18x9.5 +22 wheels to see how much I like them on the car. Also ordered 4 cans of factory color graphite grey pearl paint in rattle cans and 2K clear coat. See if I can do my roof some good since all the clear has came off of it.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 05:41 PM

Installed side skirt extensions on my 2003 evo 8. The car has come a long way in the year I have it. Next up some carbon bits and a good detailing.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
took this picture

my gauge cluster only has 3 working lights

the check engine light
the light that reminds me i disconnected my airbag
the light that comes on if you take the ACD out of the car

it's kind of like that Saab aeroplane inspired night mode, except it's Evo nothing-ever-****ing-works-right mode

What Did You Do To Your Evo Today? 2023-hmcomcw.jpg
Old Apr 3, 2019, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Vacuumed the inside and temporarily mounted the ECU. Tired of it flopping around on the floor. It will go in the factory location one day. Still dont know what to do with the afr gauge...

Old Apr 3, 2019, 08:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Vacuumed the inside and temporarily mounted the ECU. Tired of it flopping around on the floor. It will go in the factory location one day. Still dont know what to do with the afr gauge...
I'd prob go ashtray or ashtray lid if you're into keeping it low pro
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by unkn0wn.
I'd prob go ashtray or ashtray lid if you're into keeping it low pro
I was thinking about in the ashtray too but the gauge is too big in diameter to fit. Might just get a pod to replace the tiny factory gauges and get 2 more matching AEM gauges. The cool thing about running the AEM ecu is that I can get gauges that display anything the ECU sees. You just hit a button on the gauge until it displays what you want to see. So even though I would only have 3 gauges, they would be able to display over 20 different channels.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your Evo Today? 2023