Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I need an honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vicksen
You're 16, your screen name is BigNTasty. Do you really want honest opinion.
HAHAH
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:33 PM

I'm 17 right now and i was trying to do the same thing you are when I was 16. But looking back with a year's driving experience I was a dumbass. Right now if I had gotten the mustang I wanted I would probably be six feet under. I would wait a year or two save up your money then when you know how to drive somewhat safe, go for it. It will be a couple more years before I get and evo and im going to an advanced driving the summer. It might be a good i idea to look into one where you live. Help keep your self above ground.

Good Luck
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try out a 99-2000 honda civic si or maybe a 94-2001 Acura Integra GSR for starters. By no means is it even close to an EVO but it is a great starter car. Plus you will be able to afford the maintenance and insurance.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:44 PM

We all no whatever car this kid gets hes going to test it out and see how fast he can get it. What car would you rather go 120 in an Evo or honda civic??
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

They way I see it your young. YOU ARE YOUNG. Pay your dues first. Get your beater or whatever you can get and start from there. You could use that money for college.

Do you really wanna pay huge premiums for your insurance???
Do you have money to put gas in it???
What about the haters???

Bottom line is that you have to learn to drive first. You have to be a great driver before you can start driving the big cars. Its cool that your a member on this forum.
Research, learn and mature.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMCT9MR
I would try out a 99-2000 honda civic si or maybe a 94-2001 Acura Integra GSR for starters. By no means is it even close to an EVO but it is a great starter car. Plus you will be able to afford the maintenance and insurance.
excellent advice.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Start out with a GSX or something, plain and simple
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:09 PM

yea you are too young...i started with a manual 4 runner....learn how to double clutch, heal toe shift and get it down to an art...then look for the evo. I got my evo when i was 20, and i know if i got it when i was 16 it would not have been good lol...
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

I purchased my Evo when I was 19, luckily my insurance wasn't horrible since I'm married, I had a good job, but man this car is expensive to maintain properly, even though I can the maintenance myself! And it makes me sad to see these evos that werent taken care of. But what everyone here is telling you is true, when you turn 16 and can drive, it gets to your head a bit and you start driving like an idiot after a few months. Don't get any tickets because these will haunt you for a while...get a nice RSX-S or something like that, at least for a few years and go from there. Then when you do get an evo, you'll know how to appreciate it and take care of it.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

A copious amount of you older drivers respond here like you never get on it. Yes, the OP is young but we don't know his maturity level. He could be stupid and wrap his car around a tree from trying to top out his car or he could be like me; got my car at 17,not one single ticket,stock clutch at 48K,360 whp, and racing at the track. Inductive reasoning will not always work. I still remember the thread "how fast have you gone in your evo?". There were pages and pages of m.p.h's over 110 on the highway. I, as well, posted in that thread. It was fun but I do regret doing it. Granted, a evo is a performance sedan which deserves to be driven spirited on the track. Rant over!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

An Evo is simply way too much car for a 16 year old no matter what and im not talking just about the speed. The care an Evo needs and the expenses are also way too extreme for a kid's first car. I definitely recommend a slow, reliable Honda for ur first car
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

go with the EVO! just be careful and don't take care of anything on the street.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
A copious amount of you older drivers respond here like you never get on it. Yes, the OP is young but we don't know his maturity level. He could be stupid and wrap his car around a tree from trying to top out his car or he could be like me; got my car at 17,not one single ticket,stock clutch at 48K,360 whp, and racing at the track. Inductive reasoning will not always work. I still remember the thread "how fast have you gone in your evo?". There were pages and pages of m.p.h's over 110 on the highway. I, as well, posted in that thread. It was fun but I do regret doing it. Granted, a evo is a performance sedan which deserves to be driven spirited on the track. Rant over!
+1
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:32 PM

get a civic.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by betoisonfiire
get a civic.
Ok... you don't have to pick the crappiest car. He just needs a car he can afford, let him drive whatever. The only reason I disagreed was because of price. If he could afford it, why not.

Quick Reply: I need an honest opinion