Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anyone claim "Lancer" instead of "Lancer Evo" on insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone claim "Lancer" instead of "Lancer Evo" on insurance?

Just curious... I found a few threads about insurance and apparently AllState (my company) already knows about the Evo 8, but I bet some of you can simply claim it as a Lancer eh?
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Insurance companies go by the VIN. I would guess most of them know about the EVO by now. Besides, why would you risk $15K coverage lapse for a $30K car? I would want to correct any confusion right away.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If anyone claimed their Evo as a Lancer they're gonna be royally boned if they ever need to collect insurance based on the car's value.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

$15k?! Good lord.

I personally wouldn't risk anything, just curious to see if anyone else is.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Just FYI my insurance will be going up $6/mo, hot damn this may happen tonight!!
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:07 PM

Like someone else said, they go by vin number. also that is called insurance fraud
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Yup. Not a good idea to defraud your insurance company. When the pull the VIN they get everything, year, color, make and model.

I think it would be funny to have someone intentionally claim the car as a Lancer and then wreck it. It would serve them right.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:19 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

No, I don't agree with whoever said "you will be royally boned"......Because first of all, yes the insurance insures your car the VIN. And the VIN states what car you have EXACTLY. So if you gave your VIN to them and they issured it as a Lancer, thats their problem. The responsibility of the customer is just to provide the correct VIN number and they do the rest.

My issurance stub says its a Lancer as well and I did not tell them its a regular Lancer. They even asked me how much was the car worth and I said about 30k. If they have indeed put it under a regular Lancer thats their lost. I am paying only 600 a year for my insurance right now.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

my car's vin came up as an oz rally, if i get into an accident i play dumb, "oh well i gave YOOOUUU the vin number, its not my fault it's wrong"
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:29 PM

I need to change over to your insurance company. I pay more than 3 times that and have no tickets.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 05:35 PM

Yup, mine is under Lancer Sedan!!! That's what they came up when she looked up the VIN number. Btw, they have a copy of the green slip and they know how much the car is and what the car is. It's just not on their listing yet. I'm paying less for this than the previous WRX. But i'm sure once they get it in their system. My insurance will go up.

P.s. i had the same problem my Honda Civic SI back in '99. THey listed as the EX under insurance with the VIN. Yes, they still cover it under that name because of the VIN.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 05:39 PM
Account Disabled

I gave the Vine, My insurance Card says OZ RALLY on it, oh well, their fault. My mom said that it wasn't even on their systems yet, their fault, not yours.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 06:43 PM

Mine was until recently insured as a Lancer ES. When I called them to ask what the value was they said 15K. So if I would of totalled it they would of only paid 15K. I had them add a endorsment to insure it to 31K. Also when I got my plate for my EVO in Michigan there computer did not have it listed so they just plated it as a four door sedan with a retail value of 28K(what the dealer slip in the window said was the retail base value). But now my insurance sent me a new proof saying it is a EVO. MY insurance by the way is about $800 every six months with no tickets and I am 26. I use Farm Bureau.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I made sure they knew I was buying an Evo, but on my card it just says Mitsubishi. On the records, they have it as an OZ-rally. I even crossed that out and wrote Evo on top of that and resent them the application. They also have my conversation recorded when I bought the car with the VIN. If they try anything up my ***, I'm gonna turn around and give them the big boot.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

If you did this (accepted the insurance as a regular Lancer) don't mention it here. This is just dumb. It is proof that you know that your insurance company believes you have a differtent car and by posting it here sayong "they think it's a OZ Rally" you are now admitting to fraud. If I were those who posted such words, I would do some editing.

Quick Reply: anyone claim "Lancer" instead of "Lancer Evo" on insurance?