Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Evo IX MR or S2000 ?
IX MR SE
88.70%
S2000
1.74%
forget both and start saving for a porsche
9.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

SHOULD I? Evo IX MR trade for an S2000 ???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nissan2Evo
Usually it's the other way around...S2K owners trading them in for Evo's. Just be sure to direct your neighbor to EvoM once he gets your Evo so he can make his "I just traded my S2K for a IX!!!" thread.

didnt i say that my answer to him right away was "NO"?? im just thinking out loud here - although my answer is No, would it perhaps be a decent deal in theory ?

on a different note, i drove the S2000, and its a lot of fun. very nice handling, and great exhaust sound. and I almost kinda felt that the balance is better on sharp turns than in my Evo... maybe the weight distribution of the S is better, or who knows...
But one thing i can tell you thats worlds better in the S2000, and its the shifter feel and quality. wow, what a 6speed!! buttery smooth... nothing like my MR's clunk/chunk/bang/grind, especially on a cold day like today
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah many hondas/acuras ive driven are smooth as butter. love their trannys
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:22 PM

Evo all day with out a doubt. Boost is a must :-)
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:31 PM

Man, save for an S and keep the Evo. I have both and LOVE IT!!!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 7he1and0nly
Evo all day with out a doubt.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by 7he1and0nly
Boost is a must
Not always; ever dealt with turbo-lag while driving on a busy street with 20 cars all around.... ?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S6devil
on a different note, i drove the S2000, and its a lot of fun. very nice handling, and great exhaust sound. and I almost kinda felt that the balance is better on sharp turns than in my Evo... maybe the weight distribution of the S is better, or who knows...

But one thing i can tell you thats worlds better in the S2000, and its the shifter feel and quality. wow, what a 6speed!! buttery smooth... nothing like my MR's clunk/chunk/bang/grind, especially on a cold day like today
That's not weight ditribution, that's weight. Period. Especially in the sharper turns. Put 300 lbs extra weight in your Evo, evenishly dispersed, and see how it handles. And that's still not as big as the weight difference between him and you, unless the AP2s weigh more. But, you're still faster.

The Evo shifter is bad, and the S's is great but my Evo shifter never felt bad enough to say the S's shifter being worlds better. Maybe that's because I did tranny fluid changes every 3k in the Evo.... After the short throw and exedy twin, shifting in the S took less time then thinking about shifting did in the Evo. And less effort, super buttery smooth.

The S is slow, and torqueless, yes. I drive stock ones now sometimes and laugh. But SC and turbo kits aren't that expensive and give you one helluva car.

Edit: Took me awhile to type. Doing what ___pg said seems really popular in the S communities. And boost lag is far far better than vtec lag... But I agree that boost is definitely not a must
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

u guys all are crazy if u think the s2000 is a better car to drive then a evo, ive driven a s2000 and its ok but nothing like a evo ive even driven a turboed s too and wasent that impressed there too small and to squirly in the *** end.

EVO FTW!!!! forever !!! def wouldent trade no evo for a honda no matter what it is...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by __pg
Man, save for an S and keep the Evo. I have both and LOVE IT!!!
do I look like Jay Leno to you??

I have 4 cars in the family as it is. Last time I got this urge to 'save up' and buy a 'toy', I ended up with the C36 Amg, which now stands parked in my parent's driveway 350 days a year.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

i traded an Evo VIII for a S2000 a couple years ago. I like the S2000 but like others are saying it felt WAY slow.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
UT Evo kinda doubled back on himself on why the evo is the winner with two statements

1. with basic mods it could compete with a full on race built motor/turbo'd/full suspension race s2k

2. saying boost isn't a must BUT YOU BOOSTED YOUR S2K!!!!!!!!

haha evo's are the more functional mod per dollar friendly cars hands down and that's why I owe one
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

your post

Wow, talk about two totally different cars. Well, I come from a Honda Family and have fixed up my fair share of VTEC motors before entering the rhelm of boost. I was into the Civic, Integras, and had some very quick cars. One thing though is the VTEC to me was so useless. It is great when your floored but for DD duty you never get to the 6K mark often enough to use the powerband of the Honda. In comes the boost. The Evo, with its boosted motor has torque everywhere, yeah some say oh boost sucks down low, yes, it does, but there is still more TQ down low than the Hondas I drove, WAY more. Plus practicality. I was dropping so much money into my Hondas and not even getting close to what the potential of the EVO is stock. S2000 is a great car, but to trade for an Evo? Thats like Trading your Ford GT40 for a Mustang Convertable. The Evo is indeed a rare car. Especially true here in the states, I think world wide is around 10K units Total. vs. 10K a month for the S2000. Keep the Evo, you will be glad you did.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

No, with basic mods it could compete with a sc'd s2k with otherwise equivalent mods and WORSE suspension (it was on Koni autocross suspension at the time).

Built motor/turbo'd/full suspension on R-compounds the S was as fast as I was on slicks. That should say a TON about how fast it was. With slicks, it was fastest in the local racing series, ahead of many fully prepped Evos and STis, as well as a few BMWs. Granted, a lot of those drivers sucked, but a few were still good.

Boost is a must in the S, you need FI for it to be a truly great car, rather than just super fun to drive. Boost is no where near a must in the C4. I LOVE not having any lag at all in 6th on the freeway cruising. I said Vtec lag is even worse than turbo lag No lag at all is best though, aka H6 motors with beefy powerbands

The Evo is the winner, if you want a practical and very fast car, which happens to fill the plate for many many many people. If you want comfort (to some people style too, but they both look good) and fun the S is the car.

My Evo ate cars like my current one, without even trying, I could pass on the outside of hairpin corners. But I never wanted to go anywhere in the Evo because it was a PITA on the street. "Go get groceries for me" "Okay, I'm taking your Lexus though." Now I have a car that may not be as fast, but is more fun, still awd, and that can keep me happy driving a block to grocery store, and happy driving for 30 min at high speeds on the race track. And me being happy is really all that matters, whether I'm fast or not doesn't matter.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

i wouldn't, but then again i'm not you.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

boost and awd all the way!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

if you have a thought like this cross your mind then you don't deserve the evo, just do it!

Quick Reply: SHOULD I? Evo IX MR trade for an S2000 ???