Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mitsubishipartsstore.com pricing errors

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2003, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn you should have. Did you give up or what?
Old Sep 9, 2003, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sneakychaos
Damn you should have. Did you give up or what?
Well, ok I'll post our email exchange. His attitude really got to me. What do you think? (read it from the bottom up, that's the first email I received about my order being denied).

Director of operations?

I'll be calling Andy Haros today. Thanks for your (lack of) help.
Chris Blessing
webguy@330i.net
http://www.330i.net

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 3:49 PM
To: 'Chris Blessing'
Subject: RE: Brace Strut

I have spoken to the Director of Operations here and we still stand behind our disclaimer.
I have nothing more to say.
I will let our Lawyers handle it from now on.
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 2:54 PM
To: Joel Berrettini

Joel that's fine and dandy, but I have a purchase confirmation and the price cannot change after that. You know this just as well as I do. It would be as if I went through the purchase process at Wal-Mart or something and on my way out the door someone stopped me and said I couldn't leave with the merchandise unless I paid an extra sum of money.

I don't appreciate your short messages either, if you have something to say please do. I don't have the ability to speak with you about this at work either, hence our lacking phone conversation earlier.

I would be happy to talk to someone else about this if you'd rather not deal with it. I see you work for Don Jacob's Toyota correct?

Chris Blessing
webguy@330i.net

Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 3:23 PM

http://www.mitsubishipartsstore.com/shipping.php
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 2:06 PM

Hey Joel,

Check out the NY BBB Code of Online Business Practices here:

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/membershi...line_code.html

I don't know where MPS is located, so I can't give you a state-specific version, but I doubt it varies much.

Scroll down to section II (F), "Disclosure - Prices and Customer Costs".

Online merchants should:
- Honor the amount authorized by the customer in any subsequent bills to the customer

It's not my fault you guys didn't check your pricing post-restore. I am a DBA myself and happen to be very knowledgeable in that area, and unless it was a serious programmatically-related screw up, I don't even see how a data restore could cause such an error. I also didn't see any other Evolution parts for sale for $20. At my company, if a product is listed at the wrong price, not only do I take the heat for it but we HONOR that price in favor of customer satisfaction.

Recently an online computer parts store listed a computer at $179 which should have been $1179. They honored 1 product @ $179 per order, since some folks ordered more than 1. I think that was a good decision on their part, maintains that all-important customer satisfaction you know? I'm sure your company could use more as could every company. How many people ended up ordering for $20 anyhow? 3? More? Less?

All I'm saying is that it would be good business practice to honor the prices displayed on your site. I think you'd feel the same in my position. I'm trying to resolve this with as much consideration for you as possible. I'd rather not escalate it beyond that.

Also your site states nothing about prices being subject to change, so perhaps that should be addressed.
Chris Blessing
webguy@330i.net

Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 2:22 PM

We will not sell you that part for $20.00
period
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 1:11 PM

Joel-

I looked up your terms and conditions and they were not present on the site. I think you guys should honor that price even though it may have been incorrect. I'm sure you have corrected it by now but I don't think price misrepresentation is part of good business do you? Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Thanks.
Chris Blessing
webguy@330i.net

Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 1:59 PM
To: spambox@330i.net
Subject: Brace Strut

We cannot fulfil your order, our server had some pricing errors on it.
The cost of the part is $300.00 plus shipping.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Joel Berrettini
IT Director
Mitsubishi Parts Store.com
Old Sep 9, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say ask a lawyer if you have a case, if so then proceed. Also go to the GM at the dealership with this information, he WILL NOT go to court over this.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

he definately did sound snotty...
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I just emailed the GM of Don Jacob's Toyota, so we'll see what happens. I'll call my uncle about the actual legalities of it.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

what happened?
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Never got a response, I'll try again Monday with a larger, more chargeful tone.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmm...the part that bothers me is the "All prices are subject to change without notice."
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Thoe99, I know but after the purchase transaction? That statement usually applies to marketing materials which may go out of date, not typos and general moron screwups.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Why'd you only order one? If it were me I would have cleaned them out. :-)
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

mikec, I was going for the low-profile approach.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NOVA EVO

Exactly...I ran across an ad a couple of years ago...I think it was on BestBuy.com...where they had a $5000 HDTV advertised at $299...what a deal...at least until I tried to buy one...they corrected the price...but I really didn't expect to get a $5000 item for only $299...there is usually a "reasonableness" test for stuff like that. If the $307 part was advertised for, say, $249, then you'd have a case...but no "reasonable" person would believe that you could legitimately get a brand new $307 part for only $33.50.
Exactly!!!! The same thing happened to a lot of people regarding that BestBuy TV deal. The conclusion was that a "typical consumer" would realize that it is a ridiculous price and it is only a price error, therefore they don't have to honor anything. As stated above, if it was a sale price or a price which isn't ridiculous, in which a "typical consumer" would know, then they will honor it. But in this case, they legally don't have to honor anything. The only reason they will do it is if they don't want to deal with you anymore so they will just do it.

I have made purchases at mitsubishipartsstore.com and dealt with Joel, he is actually a very nice guy. I purchased a couple of items from the store and later found out that it was being offered at another vendor for less. So I asked Joel for a price match and he price matched the other vendor (after I have recieved the items already) and he credited me back the difference. Just like that!!!

What kind of attitude do you expect from someone when you are attempting to make them sell you a product for a loss? Not only are they not making any money from your $20 purchase, they are actually losing money because they bought it for way more than $20. Be more reasonable. If you owned a store, would you sell your product at a loss? Maybe you would to keep a loyal customer because he/she didn't realize it is actually an error. But in your case, you obviously damn well know it is a price error and just want to take advantage of it.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Alias, it matters not, and if I were running my own store (which I may actually be doing in the future) I would take the money I lost out of whomever's pocket ****ed it up in the first place (which, ironically, would be my own!). If Joel had been a nice guy and handled the situation appropriately (either by apologizing and offering me a discount, or actually been KIND in his wording of his communications and had not tried to use scare tactics on me over the phone) then I wouldn't even have posted this.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by webguy330i
Alias, it matters not, and if I were running my own store (which I may actually be doing in the future) I would take the money I lost out of whomever's pocket ****ed it up in the first place (which, ironically, would be my own!). If Joel had been a nice guy and handled the situation appropriately (either by apologizing and offering me a discount, or actually been KIND in his wording of his communications and had not tried to use scare tactics on me over the phone) then I wouldn't even have posted this.
You are right! You might honor the price and penalize whomever that made the mistake. But that is your business policy. Your business policy might say "customer is always right". But big companies like Best Buy and this vendor's business policy obviously does not. Especially if they know that the customer is only trying to take advantage of them.

I have own my own business before. I have own a restaurant (I know it's not the same) but you'll get the idea. My policy was that generally, we will honor a request or accept the consequences of our own mistake. But if I realize that a customer is only trying to take advantage of me I would rather tell that customer to never come back. I didn't care to keep that customer or whatever you want to call him/her so called business which isn't really business in the first place, because he/she just wanted to rip me off.

On the other side, I for one hates bad customer service too if I was attempting to do business with a vendor in good faith. But are you trying to do business with this company.....IN GOOD FAITH?

Although, Joel has been a cool guy dealing with me, you are right, he didn't seem that nice when dealing with you. He might have handle this situation incorrectly by trying to scare you and such. I would be pissed off too. I will have to agree with you that if he would have explained to you the price error and apologized, then he might have been able to avoid all the confrontation with you. Anyhow, I do wish you the best of luck in the end.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Alias, a well-thought response, thanks. I doubt anything will come of this anyhow, I just know I won't be ordering from them anytime in the future.

Quick Reply: mitsubishipartsstore.com pricing errors