Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can i get away with driving putting these parts in and going straigh to get a tune?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i get away with driving putting these parts in and going straigh to get a tune?

hey guys i am getting my tune shortly but i want to know if its ok if i can put these parts in and not boost and drive straight to my tuner.

megan catless turboback
megan o2 housing
ported exhaust manifold
perrin intake
ams mbc
ets 3 inch fmic
ets lower intercooler pipe
walbro fuel pump

and when i put the boost controller in...it wont do anything unless i twist it right? so that wont be an issue? thanks for the help!!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

yes u will be ok as long as u dont do injectors and dont get on it alot
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
you wont have any problems at all... most add these parts and drive for thousands of miles before a tune... you have nothing to worry about...and yeah, just make sure the boost controller is turned all the way down before driving..and adjust from there.... i would stick to stock boost levels until the tune though........ and dont fear getting on it go wot all day long.. you just wont notice much hp gains until its tuned
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you will be fine you can boost not going to hurt anything as long as you dont turn up the boost i been driving around heavily modded for awhile almost a year. you just run pig rich is all those mods are fine lol i have one massive tune once i get my br stage 3 head ill be ready to rock and roll
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

haha ok...well that makes me feel better. maybe ill put the stuff on this weekend and get tunes next weekend!!! and i have the catless turboback, o2 housing and ported exhaust manifold on there already and when i punched it in 5th i hit what i hope was boost cut....is that it?

and what do you mean by turning the boost controller all the way down? shouldnt it be already like that out of the package?..sorry if this is a newb question but i have never used a boost controller before
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

yo man when u get on it what happens?? does it get to like 5gs and backfire hard???
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

yeap....it scared the sh*t out of me when it happened lol....this was only in 5th though...i can punch it in my other gears and its fine....i did get an overboost code though but thats because i have my ported exhaust manifold and o2 housing on there
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

yeah ur hitting fuel cut its because u running lean or rich i forget but u will be ok
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

i have a air filter in there so maybe im running lean?....i dont boost anyway because im scared after that incident so i wont be doing any hard driving until i get my tune anway
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

haha yeah i was flying down a road and all of a sudden it did it i was like wtf was that is loud and scares the crap out of u lol
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

its a fuel cut...usually happens when there's too much boost and u run too lean. engine cuts fuel off to prevent any damage for like a second. just lower ur boost somewhat until u get a tune
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jarrett 03
yes u will be ok as long as u dont do injectors and dont get on it alot
To the OP, you may need injectors as well. I maxed out the stock injectors with the mods listed below in my sig with a HFC instead of test pipe.

That said, you can drive around on untuned injectors for a short period of time. It won't idle well and you'll be using way too much fuel, but it can be done.

OP, why aren't you opting for ECU boost? MBC's are on their way out... Not being an ***, just curious.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

im a beginner with boost controllers because i used to have a wrx and my accessport handled all that lol. what do you mean by ecu boost? electronic controllers or can my tuner set it while tuning my car with software?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

The car has a boost solenoid that is controlled by the ecu. You can install a gm 3 port for controlling higher than stock boost through the ecu. More control and much cooler than the old ball and spring. I have about the same mods on my car with an old old old base flash from turbo trix. The car def needs a tune with the new parts as I throw flames with a HFC installed but at least its rich and fairly safe. Just baby it, flash the tephra mod so you can watch for knock and get it tuned as soon as you can.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo4life400
im a beginner with boost controllers because i used to have a wrx and my accessport handled all that lol. what do you mean by ecu boost? electronic controllers or can my tuner set it while tuning my car with software?
ECU boost control allows you to set boost at different RPMs. At the end of the day, your MBC will taper boost more by redline than ECU boost control will (tapered boost = less hp at high rpms).

The tuner can do this when tuning the car. There are differing views on whether lightly modded evos (such as yours and mine) actually benefit from the GM 3-Port boost control solenoid. The car already has a bcs and I just opted to have the boost pill replaced and use the stock bcs. I peak at 25 psi and hold 22 psi at redline. Ditch that MBC!