Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My insurance company just cheated out of a T-case

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My insurance company just cheated out of a T-case

So there was some damage done to my car 2 weeks age. Bumper, wheel, tire, T-case. I paid cash for all the estimates of the drivetrain and suspension, was not and jump through all the loops the insurance company asked of me. taking picture and sending them to them like 5 times, faxing them every record of an work done to my car to make sure there was any previous damage to drivetrain, and that it was well maintained.

After everything, the insurance company's "tech" calls me saying he's going send me a used one he found online. I told him no, I want a new, that's why a pay you for max coverage every 6 months! Also know this was the same "tech" that I spent 30 minute explaining what a transfer case was, and still didn't really get it. I getting so pissed at this guy.

Does anyone here know anything about insurance law, or anyway i can get a new t-case not a old one he just found online.

Thanks a lot guys!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should have them cut you a check for the parts and you get them yourself
Old Jan 30, 2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
you should have them cut you a check for the parts and you get them yourself
that was the original plan but the guy changed it up on me. I was suppose to get a check for almost 4k to replace the T-case, but the "tech" found a used one for $1000 and said thats all they are going to pay for. I'm at work so I can't really argue with the guy or waste anytime talking to his manager. This is why I hate insurance companies. They have no problem taking your money and then giving you nothing back in return.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

May I ask what insurance company this was so that I can avoid them?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:25 PM

liberty mutual
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have an agent? Have you tried talking with him or her?

I didn't know they could even attempt something like this. If a car is damaged in an accident, they are supposed to source new parts.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

they can replace it with some equal to what you had. So say you had 30,000 on your they can find a good used one and pay for it. I did the same thing when I hydro locked my motor.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:58 PM

I've decide i'm going to call them back and see if we can negotiate a rebuild instead of a new one or used one.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Here's an idea. Read your policy.

The contract probably only obligates the insurance company to restore your vehicle to the same condition it was in before the loss. Sometimes this requires the use of original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts and sometimes after-market parts can be used.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by worksevo89
I've decide i'm going to call them back and see if we can negotiate a rebuild instead of a new one or used one.
That sounds like your best bet. Let us know how it turns out.

Josh
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:23 PM

so i just got off the phone with my agent and he called their adjuster. The adjuster told him that he doesn't have a number for me and that he's getting everything together right now and ill have to wait till next week to know what's going on. So basically this guy calls me and says that he's only going to approve a used $1000 T-case, but when my agent calls he claims he doesn't have a number for me yet. I hate dealing with insurance so much!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

idiots...u pay them all your life and you need them once or twice and they don't wanna give you the money....this is what is wrong with our economy...part of it anyways...lmao
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

As stated, you have a contract with them that is a typical variation of a common iso policy. It usually states that they owe you "like kind and quality" Your car as XX,XXX miles on it and so did your T case. That means that like kind and quality is a T case of equal or lesser mileage give or take. Why people assume they deserve new parts to replace their used ones always surprises me.

Good luck
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i kind of agree with the above post (#12).

there are standards with most insurance companies in which they decide how and with what a car is repaired. if it's a reletively new car (like 2 years or less) then all new OEM parts are used. if it is a little older, then aftermarket and refurbished parts may be used.

it all is totally contigent upon your company's policy and what you sign up and pay for.

sounds like they know the minimum of what they can get away with compensating you with and that's what their going to do. too bad it is such a prohibitively expensive part like a tcase.

Last edited by dek0026; Jan 30, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by worksevo89
So there was some damage done to my car 2 weeks age. Bumper, wheel, tire, T-case. I paid cash for all the estimates of the drivetrain and suspension, was not and jump through all the loops the insurance company asked of me. taking picture and sending them to them like 5 times, faxing them every record of an work done to my car to make sure there was any previous damage to drivetrain, and that it was well maintained.

After everything, the insurance company's "tech" calls me saying he's going send me a used one he found online. I told him no, I want a new, that's why a pay you for max coverage every 6 months! Also know this was the same "tech" that I spent 30 minute explaining what a transfer case was, and still didn't really get it. I getting so pissed at this guy.

Does anyone here know anything about insurance law, or anyway i can get a new t-case not a old one he just found online.

Thanks a lot guys!

tell them your going to cancel the policy and if they dont work with you find a cheaper policy. And if they dont care you no your with the wrong insurance company

Quick Reply: My insurance company just cheated out of a T-case