Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock Front/JDM Rear Bumper sagging? Any one else have this issue?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 02:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock Front/JDM Rear Bumper sagging? Any one else have this issue?

Hey Guys-

I have taken off my front end several times and each time I take it off.. Where it mounts on the sides (where the fender well liners are and the bolt threads into the "square" shaped bolt hole) I always have a gap on each side.. some times I can get it a little better than others, but it sags.. and looks like junk I think it is due to the "square" shaped bolt hole being loose? Can you replace that square shaped bolt hole?

The same goes for my JDM rear, which uses the same square shaped holes by the fender liners .. Although I do have a stock modified crash bar, which probably put more stress on the jdm rear, since it is a tight fit.. It sags, just like the front on the sides Is there any way that I can fix this?? I really want to get my bumpers flush, exactly where they need to be! I cannot stand minor imperfections like this.. and Yes, I know I don't own a BMW, but I would still like to fix these imperfections and make it look similar to stock at least.. and not sagging down, like its current state!

PLEASE HELP ME EVOM!!!!
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the only thing i can think of to do is like i did my orange eclipse. drill that square peace out then get you a semi long bolt and nut and tighten it like that. that will get it FLUSH BUT not concerned about the rear the front would be a chore and probaly a pain in the *** to take off if you needed to. Other than that problem solved
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe ur just not screwing it in right or all the way. I've taken off my bumpers countless times and never had a problem with gaps.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
the only thing i can think of to do is like i did my orange eclipse. drill that square peace out then get you a semi long bolt and nut and tighten it like that. that will get it FLUSH BUT not concerned about the rear the front would be a chore and probaly a pain in the *** to take off if you needed to. Other than that problem solved
Sounds like a good idea, but just like you said.. it would be a PITA to take off .. I might consider this option.. i wonder if i can buy those squares from mitsu and just reinstall.. ill have to find out! thanks!

any one else?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
maybe ur just not screwing it in right or all the way. I've taken off my bumpers countless times and never had a problem with gaps.
It is not a very hard concept to tighten a bolt .. I am screwing it all the way in, but it leaves it "sagging." I really need to figure this out.. I'm very meticulous about my car and want everything flawless!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

no the square piece is plastic , hence why everytime you take it off it wears on the plastic, just use a zip tie. It sounds ghetto but it works and if its black no body will see it.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by red evo8
no the square piece is plastic , hence why everytime you take it off it wears on the plastic, just use a zip tie. It sounds ghetto but it works and if its black no body will see it.
So you are saying to just use one zip tie to hold up the bumper on each side? Will the zip ties hold over time and last?

Last edited by Boost3dxEvO; Mar 17, 2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:09 AM

there is little rivets on each side of the inside of th square piece. when you put the bumper on try wiggling it back and forth and if it is going in the rivets
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
+1
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

My front used to sag really bad. I bought the new clips and installed them and it is as good as new. There are these black plastic squares up front as you know. I simply replaced those and that did the trick. I bought the new clear plastic clips too but never used them. Didnt need them. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:03 PM

I have the same problem, except mine sags alittle under the passenger headlights and a good amount on the driver side. The 2 screws on the side and top are flush, is there something else I'm missing? It seems to grow everytime I remove and install the front bumper.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
My front used to sag really bad. I bought the new clips and installed them and it is as good as new. There are these black plastic squares up front as you know. I simply replaced those and that did the trick. I bought the new clear plastic clips too but never used them. Didnt need them. Hope this helps.
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.. I asked this originally and people looked at me like I was stupid.. My stock clips are in bad shape from taking the bumpers on and off so many times, which is why i wanted/needed to replace these!

So now a quick question, did you just order from the dealer? How much were they a piece?

Thanks SO MUCH!!!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mnr12
I have the same problem, except mine sags alittle under the passenger headlights and a good amount on the driver side. The 2 screws on the side and top are flush, is there something else I'm missing? It seems to grow everytime I remove and install the front bumper.
Read the above post as well.. You need to probably replace the black plastic square like me! Mine are so messed up from taking the bumper on and off so many times hehe
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by red evo8
I tried this today and I think the reason why its not working any better than the bolt, is because the plastic square is sagging itself because of wear .. I'm going to replace those and then try to use the original bolts.. if that fails, then I'll try the zip tie again. thanks
Old Mar 18, 2009, 04:20 AM

i went to homedepot and made some L brackets

Quick Reply: Stock Front/JDM Rear Bumper sagging? Any one else have this issue?