Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wing Removal ???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there for some downforce and looks.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
The answer is "NO". The wing is on there for a reason..
The answer to what is no? He wants to know how to remove his wing because he's getting the cf recoated...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sdfontanini
I just tied a rope to my wing and the other end to a tree and gunned it. Took 2 seconds to take off.
this is the correct way to do it! lol haha
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

I just tied a rope to my wing and the other end to a tree and gunned it. Took 2 seconds to take off.

that's awesome haha
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I just spit ice tea out my nose. hahaha
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^^lol i think i just pooped myself^^^^^
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

hahahahahahahahaha
nice reply.. we need something like this in every tread..
the OP got his answer, and now its time for some fun.. God Job
Old Dec 18, 2017, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Yes, you should put adhesive back on...thin double sided tape cut to fit..its an added layer of protection from any paint scratches the wing might cause and help it stick to the trunk. I would highly suggest AGAINST using a long knife like someone else mentioned and instead use fishing line to separate the wing from the trunk...You will then want to use some Goo Gone to remove the remaining tape left behind after wing removal both on the wing and trunk.
i'm about to replace my evo 9 wing with an evo 8 wing, and i want to replace the adhesive (or reuse it if it's still good) - is it a specific brand/product that I need to find? or can I just use some 3m double sided tape I've got at home? It's pretty thick though
Old Dec 18, 2017, 03:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i'm about to replace my evo 9 wing with an evo 8 wing, and i want to replace the adhesive (or reuse it if it's still good) - is it a specific brand/product that I need to find? or can I just use some 3m double sided tape I've got at home? It's pretty thick though
After doing this procedure with the vortex generator, wickerbill spoiler extension, and the rear wing, I found that 3M outdoor tape worked best for me. Be sure to prep the area very thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and stick on some 3M tape. They sell it in thin strips and wide strips. For the wing, I cut it to the right size before sticking it on, but some have a very good hand with a hobby knife and can do it after. I didn't want to risk scratching the paint.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
After doing this procedure with the vortex generator, wickerbill spoiler extension, and the rear wing, I found that 3M outdoor tape worked best for me. Be sure to prep the area very thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and stick on some 3M tape. They sell it in thin strips and wide strips. For the wing, I cut it to the right size before sticking it on, but some have a very good hand with a hobby knife and can do it after. I didn't want to risk scratching the paint.
thanks for the quick reply.

are you referring to this?

Amazon Amazon

i have something similar (
Amazon Amazon
)

but it just seems too thick? do you cut holes into the tape where the wing bolts on?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
thanks for the quick reply.

are you referring to this?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-401...dp/B00004Z4BV/

i have something similar (https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Extrem...dp/B005SRECEU/)

but it just seems too thick? do you cut holes into the tape where the wing bolts on?
Yup, that's the stuff!

Amazon Amazon

It is a little thicker, but it doesn't show too much once you remove the red film. With the wing mounted on the trunk and bolted down, it squishes it further and should be covered up completely.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Perfect time for me to chime in and ask.. to take it a step further.. related to the vortex generator and the wing.. but... the 3m outdoor tape which is available at most stores is very strong.. the thing I don't like about it is that it isn't thick/foamy enough for the vortex generator gap.. does any1 know of a double sided tape that is thicker/foamy like but strong
Old Dec 18, 2017, 04:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yup, that's the stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-401...ble+sided+tape

It is a little thicker, but it doesn't show too much once you remove the red film. With the wing mounted on the trunk and bolted down, it squishes it further and should be covered up completely.
Originally Posted by iLLevo_
Perfect time for me to chime in and ask.. to take it a step further.. related to the vortex generator and the wing.. but... the 3m outdoor tape which is available at most stores is very strong.. the thing I don't like about it is that it isn't thick/foamy enough for the vortex generator gap.. does any1 know of a double sided tape that is thicker/foamy like but strong
That 3M tape is the lighter duty material (5lbs) vs the Red 3M that is rated at 30lbs..This is what hold my VG on at track speeds

https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_US...4857497&rt=rud
Old Dec 18, 2017, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Yup, that's the stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-401...ble+sided+tape

gotcha - i think what i currently have will actually work well then. again though, do you have to cut around for the holes? or I guess one stripe on the outside and one strip on the inside? i can cut in half, just haven't looked yet
Old Jan 23, 2018, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

swapped the wing! i was able to get the adhesive on the old wing to stay on the wing itself completely, just using a heat gun and patience.

i matched the wing tape up exactly, which left "open" untaped areas, but now that I think about it maybe I should have taped all around to make a seal so water doesn't get in under the wing... any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: Wing Removal ???