Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

would you buy a salvage evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would for my second car. Not for my primary mode of transportation.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nate
C'mon, Steve - that's when you part it out and make REAL money! :-)
Spoken like a true DSMer.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:12 PM

If it drives good then go for it. I know many ppl that drive salvage cars (practically everyone I know) and they have no problems. As long as it is fixed properly.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

I paid $2900 for my Evo out of an insurance auction. It cost in total all said and done $7000. Not bad considering used Honda Civic's sell for the amount I paid for an Evo. Runs and drives flawlessly.

In other words YES, I would.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

For a track car yes daily no
Old Jun 24, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by abdizzle
I paid $2900 for my Evo out of an insurance auction. It cost in total all said and done $7000. Not bad considering used Honda Civic's sell for the amount I paid for an Evo. Runs and drives flawlessly.

In other words YES, I would.
Pics of said evo?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xspsi4
Pics of said evo?
No worries. I'm going to post before and after in a new thread to encourage people toward NOT paying $20K+ for an Evo. Keep an eye out in a couple weeks.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

ya ile check it out, inspect the hell out of the area fixed drive it and make some quick tight turns and see if i can get it on the freeway. if its all good i might go home with an evo
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:54 AM

if you have cash to throw down offer 12.5k, i would buy it as long as its be repaired correctly. i had an old svo mustang with a reconstruted title and was rear ended and totaled out again. the insurance gave me a big chunk of change for it, almost 6 grand.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evokid511
its just words on a title! i own a salavge title 93 rx7 and it runs and drives perfect! all you have to do is drive it if it drives fine and looks fine then chances are it is fine! just take it to a body shop and a frame shop and make sure everything is squared off first
Too bad you don't have a picture of the mangled pretzel before it was salvaged you might feel differently. You ever file a total loss claim on a salvaged title you dumped 10 grand in? Money down the effin drain. But you still have to pay for insurance, and if you choose to only get liability then you are just admitting that it's not worth crap and you know you're gonna lose money if it's ever stolen or totaled. AMS purchased one because they knew that they had the know how to turn it into a track machine and because it wasn't a daily driver it was less likely to ever be an issue. They made the right choice. Anyone else making the same choice for different reasons is just cheap and neer sighted.

Last edited by MrMeaner; Jun 25, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Um you don't know what you're talking about. There are cars regularly put in auctions for no good reason. Have you ever seen headlights/tailights and random body parts missing from a 335 in an auction? Well that's one way to ensure it's a "Total Loss"

A LOT of the cars given Salvage titles don't deserve it. Salvage title in NO way means a mangled mess, IS300's regularly show up with a broken headlight/front bumper cover/fender and you have yourself a nice DD for $4000.

There is so much misinformation from people who have zero experience with Salvage title cars who throw out a bunch of terms - "Frame damage" "Hidden Problems" "It will be hard to sell"

I've fixed probably 80 salvage title cars and the only one that was a headache was a SMG 545.

The way people should be looking at it is as an opportunity to get yourself a car you've always desired for 50% of what you'd pay used/new given you put in some elbow grease.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

^^I 100% agree
I bought my evo with some minor sheetmetal damage and replaced some bolt on panels and I now have a 38k mile evo 9 mr for less than 13k but it does have a good title, I guess I got lucky there.

Some of these comments are funny and not based on any personal exp just a snotty opinion.

I have seen evo's get totaled for nothing more than headlights and a front bumper damage so please educate yourself before you make comments with all this talk of frame damage talk etc.

Anything can be fixed, It just takes some skill and the right equipment.
There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who do not work on their own cars and really have no clue what they talking about when it comes to opinions on this subject.

Just food for thought here, I put my evo on the frame machiene after I got it just to check and it was dead nuts on so as a refrence I put my friends evo who bought this car brand new and it was actually out of spec due to being strapped down to a transport truck which is common so people who say it will never be right or any negitive comment like that should look at their own car first before making uneducated comments

My last 2 evos were total loss and I have sold them for more than fairmarket value of a clean title car due to the fact that they were done right and doccumented every step of the way.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Both of my brother's Supra's are/were salvaged titled. Both were fixed properly and both run great. One has almost 200k miles. It's transmission is starting to not grab gears, but after 200k miles you can kind of expect that. Otherwise it runs fantastic.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:49 PM

I would go through that Evo with a microscope to make sure everything's 100%. I was checking out a LY one about a month before I bought mine. Wondered why the dealer wouldnt let me test drive it. Found out from the guy that originally owned it that it had some bad frame damage. He never thought they were going to resell it. My advice as I said, just be real careful about it
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:32 PM

Test drive it and see how it drives first. Each state has different rules on this. What may be considered salvage in some states,, wont be in other. Bought a GSXr once out of state,, when i got it back here to NY and DMV did titlework, bastards stamped it as a salvage vehicle after looking up history

Quick Reply: would you buy a salvage evo