Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problem with aftermarket HID conversion kit.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ i agree
Old Jul 12, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

I bet it is the ballast on that side. I had the same problem with my RS when I installed hids. I installed a relay with a power line off the battery and that didn't help, I ended up switching the bad ballast to a slim ballast and never had a problem after that.
ed
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your not totally correct either. Ive had both these things happen on my plug and play systems. When I first bought the system it did this same thing. As I did research I found out that it was my system not getting enough voltage on start up so I bought a relay kit, $15 on ebay so its not like its gonna put you out for a while. Used that and it fixed it and was like that for about 2 years. Then one side started to flicker again and did this for a few days when I swapped all items around to diagnose and found it was a ballest that was going dead.

So as your way is not wrong it wouldnt hurt to try both...
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your not totally correct either. Ive had both these things happen on my plug and play systems. When I first bought the system it did this same thing. As I did research I found out that it was my system not getting enough voltage on start up so I bought a relay kit, $15 on ebay so its not like its gonna put you out for a while. Used that and it fixed it and was like that for about 2 years. Then one side started to flicker again and did this for a few days when I swapped all items around to diagnose and found it was a ballast that was going dead.

So as your way is not wrong it wouldnt hurt to try both...
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by churbo
I installed a kit on my integra awhile ago and had no problems at all. Didn't change fuses or anything...obviously it's a different car but headlights are headlights. Sounds like you have a crappy kit. I was told by jdmlighting I believe was the name that the difference between the regular kits and the digital kits is that the ballast actually maintains a steady voltage so your headlights don't flicker or you have one headlight brighter than the other ect. That's what I was told when I asked the question, I'm sure there's more advantages but that's what I remember.
headlights are headlights so it must be a crappy kit? Actually, different cars have their power routed differently and I know for sure that the Integra is > than my S10.

I had the same kit (brand) installed on my Integra that is still running strong, never a flicker. I sold it to my uncle 3 years ago and still works like a champ. My S10 has had issues almost from the start - 2 years ago. If I move the passenger side to the driver side and vice-versa the passenger side still does the same thing, as if the passenger side is in sequence so it gets whatever power following the driver's side (it could also be "dirty" power I suppose with no conditioner, obviously).

It is the way the power is routed in the vehicle and the power required by the HID system during startup. A good test would be to unplug the driver's side altogether and I would bet the passenger side wouldn't have that issue.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoluvinevo
All this talk of improper voltage is boulder dash...you more than likely have a faulty bulb on your hands. Switch the bulbs around and see if the problem switches to the other side of the car. Do the same for your ballasts, that will help you diagnose the issue..close thread
I would point to the ballast long before I point to the bulb as the culprit.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

I replaced that ballast about three times and bulb one time, so it has to be a problem with voltage.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Relay kit solved the problem. I spend around 20$ (eBay) and everything is working fine now. Thanks guys.