Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My evo is spitting flames!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so rocks dont crack the lights
Old Jan 18, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

ok cool never been to the road races yet,,,,,
Old Jan 18, 2004, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Street Surgeon
Heh, it's cool man. I live in Nebraska where if your car doesn't shoot flames out due to some crazy forced induction, or some big block cubic inches then you're a sissyman
LOL wassup man!

I just get huge clouds of black smoke behind me.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 06:40 PM
e8
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
so rocks dont crack the lights
More so that if you crash and you crunch your head lights, it falls off in one piece and plastic isn't everywhere.

Rocks too.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 06:59 PM
Account Disabled

Shooting flames is actually a sign of poor tuning.

Shooting flames isn't anything to be proud of.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I guess all the Pro Touring cars and any other Forced induction racing teams can't tune for ****... lolfof rent a Le Mans DVD and watch all the factory teams roast hotdogs ;-)
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:35 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by robi
Yeah I guess all the Pro Touring cars and any other Forced induction racing teams can't tune for ****... lolfof rent a Le Mans DVD and watch all the factory teams roast hotdogs ;-)
Oh I'm sorry I thought I was in an Evo forum, not the SCCA or Street Glow Racing team forum.

Here's why misfiring happens in a car:
Symptoms:
Misfiring

Causes:
Plug nose is too long for engine head
Foreign object (bolt/nut) in combustion chamber
Wet, oily black deposits on the insulator and electrodes
Wrong piston rings, cylinders, and valve guides
Severe detonation
Incorrect tool/torque applied during installation or removal
Careless gap setting

MMMM severe detonation. Happy Flames shooting!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Spitting flames has nothing to do with misfiring. It means you're running rich so there's still has in the exhaust system. It's so incredibly hot that the second it makes contact with oxygen it ignites. The higher the octane, the easier it happens.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

like this?

Spitting flames has nothing to do with misfiring. It means you're running rich so there's still has in the exhaust system. It's so incredibly hot that the second it makes contact with oxygen it ignites. The higher the octane, the easier it happens.
Agree.

But I wonder how one can get blue flame shooting in their exhaust? I know blue flames were all over the place in 2F&2F. But normally the flame should look like the above picture if the car is running rich... Since you can't really get blue-colored flame unless you are burning gas fuel like propane or any lighter hydrocarbons (i.e. Methane, Ethane).

Last edited by TriCycle STI C; Jan 19, 2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah At the last NASA event the zo6 I passed said the reason he couldn't get back around me was the 4 foot flame (got to love that VP 110) the EVO kept throwing distracted him ( I hope it's because I drove better) But the z06 had NOTHING on my Buschur Stage 3+EVO in a straight line..(missing cams but have the 650cc injectors W/the 255 walbro) ....... 4K in third to fourth on the rev limiter ( about 60 to125mph) That's right for less than 3K in bolt on parts with BR AFC settings and NO dyno/tunner extra costs your EVO will be as fast as a zo6 in the middle of its speed sweet spot..... (Think what you could do from a standing start ;-). ) Oh the M-3s (7) even modded couldn't hang (I could lap the stock ones) The Sti's wern't even in the mix (could put 6 car lengths on them on the above noted straight). Man Trackdays are fun! (NASA open track run what you brung level 4)
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by robi
Right that is planned for the car to do that. It is called ANTI LAG. They add in alot of fuel and retard the timing. So if your car is spitting out flames then you are rich, or you are venting to atmosphere, which make the ecu dumps fuel in because it thinks the air from the BOV is going back into the system and it has allready accounted for the air.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:16 AM
Account Disabled

Nothing to do with mis-firing? NOTHING to do with mis-firing?

"BEE RACING REV LIMITER
The unique REV LIMITER from Power Builder Bee Racing is a device where a driver can use to prevent a vehicle's engine from being over rev. All parameter adjustments on this device can be made on the fly from the driver's seat. This REV LIMITER is achieved by cutting off the ignition at a preset RPM limit, and by re-routing a fuel dump. An aural feedback of back fire popping sound from the exhaust muffler is the result followed by a fantastic visual of fire coming out from the exhaust muffler tip. This aural & visual feedback is the result of the misfire the system creates. Available for Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda and Subaru. "

That's funny because Bee Racing has a misfiring system that actually causes this to occur.

But now thanks to your elightenment, I Guess they know nothing about misfiring and shooting flames.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, when INDUCED (like the product you are discribing), misfire can cause some fire to come out of the back depending on how much fuel the engine was pouring in at the time of the fuel cutoff that wont get burnt off in the combustion chamber. Mine does it sometimes when I bounce off the rev limiter. When air density is pretty high too, it seems to ignite faster.

Not that I like it. The last thing I want is a cop seeing a huge flame coming out of the back end.

What I meant before was that just because you are shooting fire doesnt mean you have a misfire issue. It just simply means there is unburnt gas in the exhaust pipe that is extrememly hot and ready to ignite when it meets with oxygen.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

ok... here's a question about the Bee*R misfiring system...
is it the same as an anti-lag system??? because i know anti-lag systems destroy turbo's...
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:06 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lancer 4 Sale, you are wrong. The flames are a result of unburned gas in the exhaust stream igniting with the heat and oxygen when reaching the end of the tailpipe. It has nothing to do with misfiring and no, it won't harm the turbo as someone posted.

Quick Reply: My evo is spitting flames!