Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Parking the Evo for the Winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking the Evo for the Winter

Since I have a dd that gets 40 mpg, and between working 30 hours a week and taking 18 credits, I decided to pull the full coverage off the EVO early this year and park it.

What's the best way to do this? I know to disconnect the battery, cover up the exhaust and not park it in grass or leave it on wood. Anything else I should know or do? Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Since you're parking it for a long time, I would put the car on jack stands so you don't flat spot the tires, and put some fuel stabilizer in the tank. If you're not putting it in a garage, I would also consider getting a car cover for it.

As far as fuel stabilizers go, when I parked my motorcycles for the winter, I usually used STA-BIL: http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
Old Sep 9, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've let my old Eclipse Sypder sit over the winter with no issues. I highly recommand starting it at least once a week imo. Then just let it run for 5 or 10 mins.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:04 AM

i just re-read my post, i meant i heard that i should try to leave it on wood as opposed to just in the grass

i intend on starting it at least every 2 weeks, maybe if i drove it around the yard i could prevent flat spotting the tires?

also who else has used fuel stabilizer in these? i forgot about that too
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is to treat your tires before you put the car up for the winter. Blooming keeps the tires fresh as long as they're rolling, but if they're to be stationary for an extended period of time, it prevents the natural conditioners in the tire from doing their job. I would cover them to prevent sunlight from getting to the tires if your garage lets light in.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

I would rent a garage if I were you instead of leaving your car outside. My friend put his DD in the garage so he didn't have to scrape the ice off in the morning. When he went to start his car a week later a mouse had already moved in and used his driver seat to make a nest.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've parked my evo for the past 4 winters. I use fuel stabilizer (sta-bil) but run that tank close to empty before any hard driving in the spring. not that the stabilizer should have any harmful effects on the fuel, Im just ****. I like to start the car once a week or two weeks, and drive it up and down the street once or twice, weather permitting. ur car will get dirty even in a garage so use a cover if u want. also, if ur worried about rodents, etc making nests out of ur car (which is rare, but does occur), I have dumped a nice layer of mothballs underneath my car before, which seems to keep the little bastards away. Its very important not to neglect ur car..."out of sight, out of mind" will turn ur car into a heap of crap over the winter.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

there's a specific ratio to use stabil with gas...i use it in my motorcycle every year and its been great. it helps take the water out and prevents from corroding lines and tank.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Can you use stabil with E85? I plan on parking mine soon too! Do you really need to start it at all during the winter?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Also a add-on for the tires. If you are parking it in your garage, go to the carpet store or something and get some carpet squares to put underneath the tires. That helps a little bit with the tire problem. Or go to the hardware store buy a cheap carpet front doormat and cut those bishes up for 4 tires.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:48 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I store my Evo every winter, typically from late November until April. I fill the tank with fuel, start it every few weeks, and drive it around the block once in a while.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bastards!!! I want to get a beater so that I can store my banana evo
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a used Civic or Corolla and be done with it. I drive my 09 Corolla for my DD.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
Bastards!!! I want to get a beater so that I can store my banana evo
you guys are nuts...storing an awd car for the winter is banana's!!!!!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

No kidding when It snows my garage queen comes out to play for sure!

Quick Reply: Parking the Evo for the Winter