Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2003, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally would rather see the ACD and AYC come over on the the 04 EVO rather than a stripped down version of what we already have. I hope at the least Mitsubishi will be selling the front lsd seperatly.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

I want the LSD for my car
Old Nov 1, 2003, 08:42 PM

Now if I had the money, I would buy the RS for one reason. To start rallying. It would be a good car to learn in and I wouldnt have to get my (future)Evo(GSR?) messed up.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
my question is how is the front LSD going to pose such a greater advantage in autocrossing... If you tihnk about it when the car goes into a turn with a front LSD it will in most cases disengage which in turn will act similar to an open diff... I think this is one reason mitsu decided to go without the ACD becasue for 90% of american's it will suit every situation perfectly. Only thing a front LSD can do is help during accel. The diff will lock and both wheels will turn at the same rate allowing for no pull.... But I have yet to experience this with my current open LSD, heck even my STi's locking diffs disengage in turns you can hear them unlock, but the evo will use clutched LSD's in most cases i'm jsut trying to prove a point. Only time a locking lsd will come in handy is if we are in of road situations not autocrossing...
Torsen style diffs don't lock on velocity differences only torque variances. They do have an effect on deceleration. They are never open in the mechanical of viscous diff sense. They never lock both front wheels together so that they run at the same speed.

ACD is a separate issue. Its big benefit is that it opens on entering a corner and locks quicker and more completely than a viscous center when exiting. ACD is not the same as the subaru DCCD.

Mechanical and Viscous diffs respond to velocity differences not torque. That is why you can feel the STi sure tracs diffs lock up. With the Torsen front diff you never feel it work You just have more front end grip.

On the factory bracing; some SCCA classes only allow two point bracing if it is not from the factory. So it would be an advantage to a racer.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Quickshift
I want the LSD for my car
I hope the new RS has the US only front diff housing.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

all that stuff gone and only 150 lbs lost? no wing? no major improvements? might as well get the regular one for 3 grand more. unless ur gonna race with the rs.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Would be nice if it got the aluminum roof and an option of a switchable ABS. ACD would be great as well but no AYC. I am still unsure whether 5 or 6 speed is preferable. The Europeans seem to prefer the older 5-speed - and there is such a thing as shifting too much.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 05:32 AM
choad

RS?

I WANT THE "MR" MODEL!!!!
Old Nov 2, 2003, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
RS?

I WANT THE "MR" MODEL!!!!
Totally
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

The weight reduction quote in the magazine is misleading. Total weight reduction, when comparing a non-sunroofed EVO to another non-sunroofed EVO RS is approx 88lbs.

And it will only be available in Red or White which I think is kinda cool

Cheers
shiv
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
The weight reduction quote in the magazine is misleading. Total weight reduction, when comparing a non-sunroofed EVO to another non-sunroofed EVO RS is approx 88lbs.
Man, that makes it look even worse.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Re: RS model info from Car & Driver

Originally posted by Dale_K
Just got my C&D in the mail. It says..

The RS is coming in January. No sound deadening material, no ABS, no HID, no A/C, no stereo, no power windows, no rear window wiper, no vanity mirror, no rear wing. Saves 150 lbs. Includes a helical front LSD, 5 speed, same motor, cross bar bracing in trunk, black mirrors & door handles. Cost is slightly over $26k Only available in red or white. Mitsubishi expects to sell 700 in the US.

AHAHAHAHA that's the most WORTHLESS thing I've EVER heard about. EVER.

WASTE OF TIME.

Garbage.

$2k less and you lose half of the basic necessities, no power gain, a couple changes that could easily be made with aftermarket mods totalling maybe $1000, and... well I could go on but it's obvious to everyone what a stupid idea this version is.

Any "race team" that wants something like this would just strip their own regular Evo8 or import a VII.

Mitsu should have spent this time and energy bringing the MR/FQ330 here to actually make MONEY and sell MORE Evos, not less.

LAME!!!

Last edited by JRock; Nov 2, 2003 at 01:04 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: RS model info from Car & Driver

Originally posted by JRock

AHAHAHAHA that's the most WORTHLESS thing I've EVER heard about. EVER.

WASTE OF TIME.

Garbage.

$2k less and you lose half of the basic necessities, no power gain, a couple changes that could easily be made with aftermarket mods totalling maybe $1000, and... well I could go on but it's obvious to everyone what a stupid idea this version is.

Any "race team" that wants something like this would just strip their own regular Evo8 or import a VII.

Mitsu should have spent this time and energy bringing the MR/FQ330 here to actually make MONEY and sell MORE Evos, not less.

LAME!!!
yep.

This is definetly a hybrid car. It is not a pure race car and not a pure street car.

If it was a pure race car Mits would export a car to America devoid of all external crash bracing (which added alot of weight and was needed for street readyness in America). It would be a trailer only off road car.

I don't know what this RS is but it's hard to see how it's worth it. (unless you like the little RS sticker)

EDIT: This looks like the crap Subaru did with the STi by introducing it with no radio, bad understeer, ac and big squishy seats. Ok, it's meant to be raced - hence no radio, but it's not meant to be raced - hence terrible understeer. No it's meant to be driven like a caddy hence big squishy seats and ac.

First you hear: "Of course it doesn't handle well on the tarmac but you should see it on the dirt, it's a rally car after all."

Then: "Of course it's not a rally car. It does have 2.5li engine but we love the power down low."

The STi is a car that doesn't know what it wants to be.

DSM had it right with the evo but the RS is getting into STi territory: a car that doesn't know what it wants to be.

Last edited by meisnerboy; Nov 2, 2003 at 01:57 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 01:16 PM
In Timeout

Did you ever get that carbon fiber hood?

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Rax - here is a pic of the triangulation I am talking about:

http://gallery.evolutionm.net/showph...t=1&thecat=500

Cusco aluminum parts.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, the MSRP of the Evo8 is about $30k(including destination charge), so the RS version at $26k is about $4k less. Of course, it should sell for less than MSRP which means that you can probably buy one for $25k or less.

If they want to sell the RS version here, they should also remove the 17" wheels and use only the 15" steel wheels and lower the price further. Mitsu should also give the RS more lightweight panels like the doors and roof.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]