Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cars acting funny, any help?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cars acting funny, any help?

My car was in my garage on jackstands for about 2weeks and the battery had died about a week into the deal. I get it off the stands last night, jump it, and turn it on. It was extremely loud over by the belt area like it was sucking air.

Then, I noticed my aem uego was not working at all, it was off the map on the lean side. I know the gauge was working perfectly fine before putting it in my garage, and now all the sudden it doesnt work. I didnt touch anything with any sensors while it was in the garage. Could the sensor be fouled from sitting without being used? Does the UEGO need to relearn after the car has been off for a long period of time??

Also, while idling, it had a bit of a hiccup once or twice like it choked on itself, not to the point of stalling, but it just sounded like it stumbled on itself.

I drove the car about 7 miles worth last night and let it idle about 15 mins before driving it. Am I just bugging out and does the car need some time still to catch its breath after being off and dead for a week and a half? Ive never had a single problem before this.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I know winter ftl. it was fine all summer and I beat the crap out of the car and all it did was smile!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should be fine
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like its relearning idle tables, plus the uego has to be warm to read correctly. low system voltage will also cause things to go haywire.

if it persists after a day or two of driving, may be a cause for concern. for now, id say nothing to be concerned.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:10 PM

Sorry no advice...just saying I'm the same way, all paranoid sometimes. Usually its nothing.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im jus blamming the cold.. let the car warm up drive it around when it heats up and i'm sure u'll be fine!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SeeCoryRun
Sounds like its relearning idle tables, plus the uego has to be warm to read correctly. low system voltage will also cause things to go haywire.

if it persists after a day or two of driving, may be a cause for concern. for now, id say nothing to be concerned.
what are you talking about i have the uego and it reads fine whether its cold or hot.

Steve, don't know whats going on, maybe try resetting the battery and seeing if the idle is back to normal.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Perhaps yes, I didnt drive the car at all today cause the town told me they wont pay me to help them plow haha

I will try disconnecting the battery, it was dead for a while and then simply jumped to start. It had been dead one time before and jumped, but worked fine. Im thinking, if anything the sensor is dead from half burned alcohol sitting on it for as long as the car sat and it owned the sensor. (my car shoots out little black ***** of exhaust/alcohol/water from the exhaust, kinda cool lol) I hope its that simple and not a bigger problem. I will disconnect the battery though after I drive it for a few more days.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

You try disconnecting the guage itself? Just a thought
Old Feb 27, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

haha that could very well be it.. if your wideband still reads all retarted then you probably need to be a replacement o2 sensor. Mine started reading full lean all the time and thats when I knew the sensor was shot haha
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:26 AM

mine reads full lean all the time too. Have a replacement on order now, hopefully that fixes my issue.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Ya I saw that and I was like ohhhh fackkkk how the hell is this full lean, the car always sits perfectly at 15.0 at idle and now its off the map lean, i was afraid to drive it haha.

Ill try disconnecting the battery later for 10 mins and seein if it jolts it back, if not, new sensor time
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
what are you talking about i have the uego and it reads fine whether its cold or hot.
if he's starting the car and only letting it run for a few seconds it will not read correctly. the Bosch sensor takes about 20sec of warm up to read correctly.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ Yes but mine never read off the map lean even when cold, it would still display numbers.

And yes it was the sensor that was shot, one of my friends let me swap his good sensor in and it reads perfectly fine again.

And as if things couldnt get more annoying, my brand new Continental DSW's which I just got and I put exactly 100 miles on them, one tire now has 2 punctures! yay.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

glad you found the problem.

is the bung welded above the 3oclock position in the pipe? if not that could explain why the sensor kicked out.

Quick Reply: Cars acting funny, any help?