Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I sell/trade the Evo for a 98-02 LS powered SS Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Should I sell/trade the Evo for a 98-02 LS powered SS Camaro?

Alright guys, I'm really considering selling/trading my Evo for a 98-02 LS1 or possibly LS6 swapped SS Camaro with a 6 spd.

I used to have a 6 spd 96 Z28/SS camaro with the LT1 in it, and sold it and got the Evo. The car was pretty strong, and had all the SLP options on it. I would have loved to gotten my hands on a LS powered car, but at the time could not find one in my price range.

The downside of getting the Camaro, it's a PITA to work on, (well the LT1 was anyway because of being crammed in there and the junk opti-spark,) I'm not sure of the LS motors as far as that goes, I do know they are crammed, but not sure of accessory locations. I do know that they are better because of no crappy opti-spark ignition being behind the waterpump, and the power potential.

I'm really missing the RWD fun, and the sound and feel of the V8. Also, the fact that you can beat the crap out of it, rev it up and just side-step the clutch, and not worry about the stock tranny breaking if you aren't pushing boatloads of power.

I'm seeing a couple of guys that used to have Evo's that went to either a GTO or Camaro, and now they are wanting to get back into the Evo scene. This makes me wonder why are they wanting to step away from the GTO or Camaro, back to the Evo.

I do not Auto-X my Evo and don't plan on it, so I wouldn't be missing anything as far as that goes. It is only me and my GF, so the 4 doors really don't ever get used, and people hardly ever ride in the back. So, downsizing to the 2 door wouldn't be an issue.

The Evo is not my Daily Driver, its only a weekend/good weather/vacation car. The power is awesome for the little it has done. I just don't feel comfortable wailing on the car however. It gets granny driven whenever it's driven, and is only beat on whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not 100% sure yet. I love my Evo don't get me wrong, and has been my dream car forever, but I miss the V8 power/feel/sound. I do know that the Evo can be made to outrun V8's, I'm not dumb, but they will never have the sound of a wicked V8.

Can anyone provide any kind of info or maybe convince me not to do this?

Thanks in advance guys,
Scott

Also, I would still have a 4G63. I have an original 89 Turbo Mirage hatchback with a built 2.0 in it, as well as a 88 Conquest that I'm thinking of doing a 2.0 swap into.

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Apr 7, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its what YOU want, if you have a thing for the camaro - go for it!

IMO, its a downgrade, but to each his own, plus it sounds like youll have a lot more fun driving the camaro hard than babying the evo.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd take the sound/power/feel of an evo over a v8 anyday. Everyone and their mother has a v8, they're nothing special.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Audi2Evo
Its what YOU want, if you have a thing for the camaro - go for it!

IMO, its a downgrade, but to each his own, plus it sounds like youll have a lot more fun driving the camaro hard than babying the evo.
I do baby the evo, and I would baby the Camaro, buuuut, whenever I would beat on the Camaro, I wouldn't be affraid that I'd possibly kill the tranny.

I came from RWD Conquest/Starion's, to FWD/AWD Eclipse/Talon's, to the Camaro, then to my Evo.

So RWD is nothing new to me. I love the AWD and not spinning, but I love being able to cut up with the RWD when I want to.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

I love 8cyl. But I love my evo too. The camaro body style for those years is pretty lame, the interior is really cheap plastic pop together. The rear hatch and window are prone to leaking after awhile. Also those long heavy doors aftertime start to sqeak and rattle.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Keep the evo and buy a camaro. Best of both worlds. I have a 69 camaro that I love but if I had to choose only 1......... Goodbye camaro.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:25 AM
JYD
Evolving Member

put an LS1 in the evo. camaros.....are just...camaros. they suck. good motor...car sucks. id rather have a 2nd gen, or a 3rd gen RX7 with an LS1 in it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JYD
put an LS1 in the evo. camaros.....are just...camaros. they suck. good motor...car sucks. id rather have a 2nd gen, or a 3rd gen RX7 with an LS1 in it.
Dude I'd love to have an FD with an ls in it. Been tossing that idea around as well.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

If you like the powerful sound of the v8 but still want the awd feel I would either upgrade your evo to a 2.4 and start with a couple bolt on upgrades it gives a nice rumble, or trade your EVO for a STI put a tbe on it and that thing will sound mean!! Also will still have the fun of awd turbo engine!! Just to let you know to the evo trany can handle a lot more than you are giving credit mine has 74k mi and i stomp on it all the time thing is still holding strong!! I have checked the teeth on it and there was a little bit shaved but thing still looks great!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueEvoG
If you like the powerful sound of the v8 but still want the awd feel I would either upgrade your evo to a 2.4 and start with a couple bolt on upgrades it gives a nice rumble, or trade your EVO for a STI put a tbe on it and that thing will sound mean!! Also will still have the fun of awd turbo engine!! Just to let you know to the evo trany can handle a lot more than you are giving credit mine has 74k mi and i stomp on it all the time thing is still holding strong!! I have checked the teeth on it and there was a little bit shaved but thing still looks great!
I'd rather not have an STi, lol. I'm not looking to do too much more to the evo as far as mods go, only a better FMIC and pipes, and be done with it.

I still have my 89 Factory turbo Mirage hatchback with a 4g63T swap in it, and I still have some AWD Talons, that I could put back to going if I wanted, as well as my Conquest.

So, the lack of turbo car wouldn't be present.

You may romp on yours a lot, but your mods are very moddest too, I'm not sayin my mods are extensive.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:57 AM

Your post inspired me to register. I have a 98 T/A that I love. The power, the styling, it's all great. I used to spit in the direction of any car that wasn't American Muscle.

Over the past year or so, though, I've come to just appreciate cars that go fast. Period. (except Hondas. Seeing them as lame must be written into my genes or something) Now, I want an Evo IX more than anything. I want to feel that AWD launch and have a stick shift car and be able to take those turns at high velocity! It's all about your tastes and the experience you're looking for from your car.

As a V8 guy, I thought I'd just weigh in and give my 2 cents,
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hulk
Your post inspired me to register. I have a 98 T/A that I love. The power, the styling, it's all great. I used to spit in the direction of any car that wasn't American Muscle.

Over the past year or so, though, I've come to just appreciate cars that go fast. Period. (except Hondas. Seeing them as lame must be written into my genes or something) Now, I want an Evo IX more than anything. I want to feel that AWD launch and have a stick shift car and be able to take those turns at high velocity! It's all about your tastes and the experience you're looking for from your car.

As a V8 guy, I thought I'd just weigh in and give my 2 cents,

I hate honda's as well, lol. I love any car that is fast as well, don't get me wrong.

As far as a V8 it won't be the first for me, and it would have to be a 6spd manual.

I don't auto-x or anything, and as far as curves go, don't really take them fast either, I'm a straight line guy.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:07 AM

Before I bought the Evo I was stuck between an 03-04 Cobra or an Evo. Couldn't for the life of me decide. But being stationed in Kansas and being able to plow through snow and watching lifted trucks getting stuck, boy am I glad I picked up the Evo. I came from DSM's, so i'm already more than familiar with the 4G63. I will admit, theres nothing like the sound of a V8.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

I dont know if I would be able to get over the looks of the Camaro. Yes I know we drive rice looking cars but the Camaro just looks like a boat imo.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
I'd take the sound/power/feel of an evo over a v8 anyday. Everyone and their mother has a v8, they're nothing special.

^ +1

Quick Reply: Should I sell/trade the Evo for a 98-02 LS powered SS Camaro?