Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What a nightmare...what would YOU do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:37 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's why you should always buy from a mitsu dealer
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
jesus man I can't believe this place is still messing with you. I was just thinking about this situation last week when I drove past that $**thole. I still remember taking that other Evo out for a test drive and having the salesman blaming the crappy drive on me not being able to handle the car hahaha. Anything you need a local guy to do let me know.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
Sorry to hear about the issues you've been having. There was a post a few weeks ago I got hammered on saying I was just scaring people when I said you need to set aside about 3k when buying a used evo and just assume the TCase/Trans/Clutch is on borrowed time.

I was the devil. In your case honestly there isn't going to much you can do since the dealership probably got some BS to get you out of the their hair. once you had no problems for a while it (to them) automatically absolved them of all blame. if this happened a month after they "fixed" it they would still say it was your fault. Shady but thats how they are.

Good luck.
Yup this is the case. I wouldn't deter anyone from buying a used performance car but you should at least be aware that if you get unlucky it can be a money sink. Not that anyone cares about my M3 experience but it was pretty extreme. 9K in 18 months. It was covered by CPO thankfully, but stuff went wrong. Fuel delivery system, a bunch of sensors, nothing particularly tragic but I kept an eye on the costs piling up under the warranty. Needless to say I got scared and dumped the car 15 days before the warranty dried up. Anyway, I want an EVO IX and I'll keep 5K or so in reserve. I've seen and driven a few at used car lots but the cars all had iffy signs of "unmodding" and a few had tunes that no longer fit the car at all causing problems. Better off private party.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume all un-modded Evo's have been modded once in their life.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either have you and a friend, or a local shop in town pull the tranny and T-case out of the car. Send or drive them into Shep and have him rebuild both. They are the best in the business and will do a great job with both of them. It will be WAY cheaper to have them rebuilt than buying a new or even used components, and they will be able to handle twice the amount of abuse.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

yea man i can relate to you about trans issues, honestly if i were you i would look into calling the state and asking about the lemon law program, they will fight for you, here in florida i had a friend that was having problems with his vw warranty and i called them up.. from what i got out of them, if they are not honoring their warranties then it is up to them to prove why they arent going to honor their initial promise.

point being, i would take the car back to the dealer, and get all of my money back.. u might lose some money but if you are getting another evo, then take the parts you put on it off and put them on another car..

i just spent almost 4-5k in rental car fees and shep transmission/clutch/lifters other repairs and i still need to get my car retuned.. if i'd bought it from a dealer i would have taken it back for sure.. i only have 28k miles on it as we speak. i'm very frustrated with my first experience with mitsubishi. i will never buy another one EVER but i'm thinking about hanging on to it for a few months before i make a decision to keep it or not.. Sometimes people let their emotions get the better of them, bro its just a car, you can always get another one don't go into debt to drive it
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, just talked with my bank a little while ago.

Took out a Personal Loan. A Personal Loan is a loan without a fixed interest rate. Right now, the interest rate is 6.15%. However, it can fluctuate depending on the economy. Each month, loan interest rates are reviewed. Over the past year, it has been consistent at 6.15%.

I took out a loan of $6,000.00 to cover repair costs on my car. Hopefully, it won’t exceed $4,000.00. But in the event it does, I guesstimated the total costs to be about $4,500.00. Therefore I had the bank lady print me out 3 forms with what I should be paying at 12, 18, and 24 month payments.

12 month on 4.5K loan (6.15% interest) = 387.64

18 month on 4.5K loan (6.15% interest) = 262.37

24 month on 4.5K loan (6.15% interest) = 199.77

Hopefully, I get promoted therefore giving me an extra $200 a month which would work out nicely under the 18 month loan. However, if I do get promoted, I plan on paying off this loan in 18 months time.

If I underestimated my repair costs, my Personal Loan can go up to $9500.00. Would just need to reapply for the increased loan adjustment which would be no problem and only take about a day.

I hate being in debt and I will do whatever it takes to get out of it. As much as I really don't want to pay for this, I need my car to run and each day that goes by, it gets increasingly worse and i'm tired of it. I want to fix her :-( ....
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

And to include, 2 days ago, I was sitting in a parking lot talking to this girl I'm trying to start a relationship with and this lady in a grey VW Beetle parks on the passanger side of me. As she opens up her door she doesn't hold onto it and the wind moves the door and it smacks the side of my car. Keep in mind I just got a full paint job about 8 months ago...

Extremely annoyed by careless people, I stared at her like WTF? She gets out of the car and says, "$h**." "Sorry." Then proceeded to walk away with her little daughter. I got out and looked at the damage and amazingly it wasn't bad at all. I had 2 small marks right above my passanger-side front tire which looked to be grey scratches indicating my paint didn't come off but some of her paint got on my car. I believe this can be buffed out. (Hopefully)

Since I wanted good luck to come my way, I decided not to get her insurance information but then again, maybe I should have as a "just in-case."

Hopefully the cost to repair my entire drivetrain won't be so bad and good karma is on my side because of that. Thankfully my chick calmed me down and made out with me to get my mind off of it

I know I can't be too **** about my paint job because things like this will happen sooner or later but it would be nice to preserve the nice paint for at least some time considering I spent $3,000 on it. Got the hook-up and saved $4,000 thanks to a good friend of mine.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wount trust any dealer, or used parking lot dealers thats even worse.... call Buschur and Shep.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and BTW, please read some of the lovely reviews about Signature Motor Cars. I wish I would have saw this before I made my purchase with that $h**-hole of a shop.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...source=profile

My mother wrote one up (from: Pasadena, MD) - That's me.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
You always learn these things after, the important thing is you remember to do it before the incident next time. Just take it as a learning experience. Count yourself lucky you got 8 months of use out of the car. Many people (myself included) have bought an evo and had to rebuild the transmission / transfer case right away. (1 week for me).

That's why I decided I'd never buy a used evo again. If I did buy a used one it'd be DIRECTLY from the previous owner and it'd have to have only 1 owner ever. That way i can at least get a reading of how the car was taken care of.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marylandevo8
Ok, just talked with my bank a little while ago.

Took out a Personal Loan. A Personal Loan is a loan without a fixed interest rate. Right now, the interest rate is 6.15%. However, it can fluctuate depending on the economy. Each month, loan interest rates are reviewed. Over the past year, it has been consistent at 6.15%.

I took out a loan of $6,000.00 to cover repair costs on my car. Hopefully, it won’t exceed $4,000.00. But in the event it does, I guesstimated the total costs to be about $4,500.00. Therefore I had the bank lady print me out 3 forms with what I should be paying at 12, 18, and 24 month payments.

12 month on 4.5K loan (6.15% interest) = 387.64

18 month on 4.5K loan (6.15% interest) = 262.37

24 month on 4.5K loan (6.15% interest) = 199.77

Hopefully, I get promoted therefore giving me an extra $200 a month which would work out nicely under the 18 month loan. However, if I do get promoted, I plan on paying off this loan in 18 months time.

If I underestimated my repair costs, my Personal Loan can go up to $9500.00. Would just need to reapply for the increased loan adjustment which would be no problem and only take about a day.

I hate being in debt and I will do whatever it takes to get out of it. As much as I really don't want to pay for this, I need my car to run and each day that goes by, it gets increasingly worse and i'm tired of it. I want to fix her :-( ....

Hey man you might want to think about getting a collateral loan.. take the 4g's you already have saved up, and take a loan out against it. this way you will be basically paying yourself off. Also your interest rate would be super low, like 1-2% talk to your bank and see what they would be able to offer you, i just ended up changing my transmission and trust me bro do it yourself (with a lift if possible if not, pay someone) and change your clutch and pressure plate while you are at it. get your stock one resurfaced 40$ at carquest, get a sheppard trans bro you wont regret it
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

sounds familiar to what we went through. except the extent of our issue turned out to be a complete disaster.

my brother checked out an evo 8. only 18,000 miles and it looked extremely clean. i checked out the under body and it looked perfect. he gets it for about $19,000. awesome deal.

2 months later 5 grinds slightly. we take it in to a shop by us and he calls us immediately to check it out. he shows us the trans case. the whole upper/back half was covered in jb weld. he takes it off and there is a huge crack in the thing. he tells us this had to have been in an accident so he runs a car fax. it is a rebuild/salvaged car. :/

there hasnt even been enough time to get the title in our hands yet. it was in the mail. we call the dealer and he tells us we signed a paper agreeing to buying a rebuild. they fax it to us and it is a complete forged document.

it was just a huge gigantic hassle as the "owner" was always out of the country. in the end it wasnt even worth fighting because it was going to cost way too much and take way too long to get settled.

ever since, i have always gotten a car fax before buying the car. is the shop/private seller refuses, then obviously it is a shady deal.

good luck solving your dilemma. we ended up paying about $3000 out the door.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope you get your problems worked out dude. If you need anything from that POS dealer ship let me know. Since i live 5 mins away i will curse them the **** out everyday if i have to lol. I'll never forget when i went to go look at the evo you bought... The guy was a complete *** hole and i walked away. We talked before, i am surprised that these fagots are still playing games.

Remember they already changed there business name once because they got a big lawsuit against them. I think it's time to make them change it again.

Like i said if you need any thing taken care of over there let me know i don't have a problem looking out for a fellow member of the evo community. Good Luck!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Check out Dog Box Racing

Quick Reply: What a nightmare...what would YOU do?