Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Grinding when turning right?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grinding when turning right?

So my evo IX has 34k miles, and so far so good. Until today. All of a sudden its making a weird grinding noise when turning right only...for example if I tried to do a small circle going right, it would make a bad rubbing/grinding sound. The problem dosen't look to be visible, though I haven't jacked up the car yet. Also, its weird that it only happens when turning right.

Any ideas?
Old May 25, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. Do you race or launch your car at all?
Old May 25, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, I've been to the 1/4 mile before but never ever launched. I got the car with 6k miles on it, so it may have been launched during that timespan. I do hit it occasionally, but I'm sure I'm not the only Evo driver who actually hits it...

It sounds like it something from the right wheel-area?
Old May 25, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My guess would be the wheel bearing. I would pull the wheel off and inspect the area for any possible damage.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:09 PM

your brake pads may be getting thin too
Old May 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Checked the boots on the front axles to ensure no rips?
Old May 25, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fender liners?
Old May 25, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

I would check your cv joints and or fender plastic rubbing against your tires. GL
Old May 25, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
mine did the same thing until i got the liners bolted to my new undertray. and it was only on right turns too
Old May 26, 2010, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

It is most likely the Wheel Bearing on the car. For instance if you turn right and you hear a noise then you know a bearing is most likely bad on the left. And if you turn Left you wouldn't hear it coming from the same spot. Same thing goes for the other side just switched.

Another way to test for a bad Bearing is to put the car up on a lift. Then Put One hand At 12 and the other at 6 on your tire. Now wobble the tire back and forth. If there is any play then you know it might be the wheel bearing as well.

The same thing happened to my front left Wheel Bearing
Old May 26, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Wheel bearing isn't going to make noise at low speed. Check to make sure your not rubbing on the fender liners. They can make A LOT of noise if they are rubbing.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Check the backing plates are not touching the rotor. If this is you issue bend them back a little

Last edited by gsrboi80; May 26, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eXtreme-Speed
It is most likely the Wheel Bearing on the car. For instance if you turn right and you hear a noise then you know a bearing is most likely bad on the left. And if you turn Left you wouldn't hear it coming from the same spot. Same thing goes for the other side just switched.

Another way to test for a bad Bearing is to put the car up on a lift. Then Put One hand At 12 and the other at 6 on your tire. Now wobble the tire back and forth. If there is any play then you know it might be the wheel bearing as well.

in this case my vote goes to spider gears in the diff, or hopefully an axle. Its not really loading the bearing much going in a slow circle but it is making the diff work because of the difference in wheel speeds. Good luck im rooten for the axle lol
Old May 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

All you guys are wrong! I hate to say this b/c its extremely embarrassing.....but my lug nuts were loose!!

I had checked them immediately when I heard the noise, and they all seemed fine. After driving back to my apartment I checked them again and noticed I could finger tighten/loosen all on the driver side front tire. After I snugged those up I haven't heard the noise at all.

Luckily I'm so OCD about my car I heard the noise right when it started, so I didn't have a wheel go flying off while doing 100+ down the road.
Old May 26, 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eXtreme-Speed

I just replace my left front hub...there was no play at all but it made a lot of noise going straight and when I turned the pitch of the noise would change a bit

Quick Reply: Grinding when turning right?