Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My VIII is down with a blown motor!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by monkey_187
just get a stock block and get her running, if you dont have the money now you can just save and build it up later. I think that will be your cheapest route, there are many part outs and Im sure you can find an engine. Sorry to hear your car is down, hope you get it running again.
^^ Very good advise .

I would tell you the same thing.

Get a stock used long block for around 2,000.00. Yoy will be back up and runing in a few weeks.

If you decide to buy a new block and do a new build, it is going to take more time and money.

I am sorry to hear about your issue. I have been there and done that.

Good luck, Sir .
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
+2
+3

How long on e85/how much boost/timing?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

He was probably making too much torque I would imagine. Boost?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

I've been on and off E85 for about 1 year now, and running about 29 lbs of boost. Lately, I have been DDing with E85 almost non stop for a few months now. Most of my mornings and afternoons I would not beat on my car at all. I'm self-tuned, and a bit aggressive on the timing at times, but my tunes have been safe with little knock sum. I generally run ~11.6 afr up top. I attached my timing map for those who are interested, which may have not been the same map but it's close.

I noticed I was getting some misfires under heavy load for about week before, but I didn't think much about it, and planned on closing my gap a little bit. I was running bpr8es's gapped at ~.019, and probably should have closed them a bit more. I was just told by a couple people on the forums after this post that misfires and E85 can be potentially dangerous. This was news to me. When the engine went, it seemed like it misfired just before it blew.

Also, on a side note - For the last couple months I was getting part throttle knock, no matter what I did to my tune. Perhaps this was due to some mechanical noise with a failing bearing or something? I've looked into this before, but never found much besides a possible faulty knock sensor, or the part throttle knock being caused by cams.
Attached Thumbnails My VIII is down with a blown motor!-timing.jpg  
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Well this makes me kind of doubtful since im about to tune on e85 with high decent boost for daily driving. Your loss is unfortunant, but hopefully you recover from it. Hopefully this doesnt happen to others.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear that your motor blew! Why would you even consider putting in another stock block if you already blew one! lol I would just build a motor. You should do a LR2.4 w/Black. Seems to be the build of the year right now. That would be a sick street setup! Good Luck with your build.

Mikey
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
You should do a LR2.4 w/Black. Seems to be the build of the year right now. That would be a sick street setup! Good Luck with your build.

Mikey
Knew that was coming
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Knew that was coming
Hey you should do a LR2.4!

Mikey
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Hey you should do a LR2.4!

Mikey
I'm gonna take to David about it but as with all things in life its gonan be determined purly on a monitary bases. I really like the look of my build and dont wanna give anything up lol.

Ofcourse if ER gave me a discount that I couldnt refuse...well I wouldnt refuse it
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

You can stick with Dave and I'll stick with Aaron... That way we can see whos is better!

Mikey
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

You can stick with Dave and I'll stick with Aaron... That way we can see whos is better!

Mikey
Sounds like your callin me out bro, better be careful losing will be bad for ER business
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

94AWDcoupe had issues with e85 and misfires:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...-bad-news.html
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

At this point if you have the funds I would opt for the following

1. get a 2.4 at this point - to spend $2000 on a used longblock only to have a potential issue is not worth the risk. You might wanna see if someone has a 2.1 long block for sale
2. keep factory turbo to save an additional $1500
3. Use that $1500 to build the trans
4. just get your head checked out and if all is okay, get it ported while its out, you could also buy a race head from any of the bigger companies and just swap in your cams.

You can always buy a turbo the point is, is to get your car up in running as cost effective as can be.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks like you were running too much timing at peak tq. That seems to be what's blowing these e85 motors lately. Tuning past MBT.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would buy used stock block, buy aftermarket rods and pistons with stock compression. If you dont trust yourself, deliver the block with parts to machine shop, let them clean the block and assamble for you, also deliver head to machine shop for checkup, get springs and ret for the head.

And yes, another DD car is a very good idea and investment, Im talking about something for 1000 bucks, just make sure it runs good, insurance cost almost nothing and get you places, work etc... while you can save up money and get the parts to get your evo running.

working on the driveway could be very painfull, I would probably work inside of a garage, just in case if it rains, make sure you have plenty of room, if you trust yourself, i say do it, You can save a bunch.

good luck man!

Last edited by tweakdsm; Jun 7, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: My VIII is down with a blown motor!