Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Smoke Coming From evo8 hood vent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke Coming From evo8 hood vent

when i rev the evo 8 past about 5 to 6 k rpms it will start to smoke a little from the hood vent, it does it before i let off the gas and the last time it did it right as i let off , at first i thought it was oil coming from the oil cap or valve near the cap because i had a little oil resedoo there, but the valve is good and , i replaced the cap and see no leek so, I am not sure where this smoke is coming from, its just like normal black smoke and it only comes out the hood vent for a second and only while reving past 5 to 6 k rpm any ideas ? i can't find any leaks could it be something to do with my wastegate or exaust leak perhaps
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:31 PM

the oil might be dripping directly on your exhaust. you should check to see if there are any burnt oil stains of the exhaust.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, sounds like something dripping onto the exhaust. it may only be happening at high rpms because that's the only time you're accelerating hard enough for the leak to fling back and hit the exhaust. I had the same thing happen when my ACD bleeder screw started leaking. thought my damn car was on fire when i stopped lol

also, it's residue.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wouldn't black smoke be fuel related, maybe you're running rich and you have an exhaust leak under the hood. when i had oil burning off my new turbo after the install the smoke was whiteish which generally indicates oil.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

yea to my knowledge oil burns white off the exhaust.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:38 AM

hmm ya i think could be exhaust leak, guess i will find out on Wednesday appreciate the responses
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:53 AM

well one other thing to note, before i got it tuned it was running super rich, and any time i got on it and spooled up the turbo, u could smell gas I couldnt very well my nose isnt great lol but girl friend could smell it big time she says any time i got on it so, that kinda leads me to believe exaust leak I had the car tuned but my 02 sensor is bad so i am replacing that on Wednesday so it must still be running a little on the rich side
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:43 AM

i had white smoke blow out my hood vent when my clutch was on its way out, not sure if it was related but if i ever tried to get on it of the line or stage up i got a nice cloud. replaced the clutch and havent had it happen since. still not sure if it was even related to the clutch im not a mechanic but figured id share my experience.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:29 PM

actually the smoke is white not black , after testing it again I can't see any oil coming from the oil cap or down by the manifold or the turbo, but I am wondering maybe if its coming out the valve by the cap and blasting down behind the engine in a place i can't see perhaps
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:35 PM

one extra thing to note , I am using fully senthetic 10 w 30 and at idle the car is at 40 psi about for oil pressure, I actually not sure what the oil pressure is at 5 or 6 k rpm as my eyes are on the road ;] but what would be to high I wonder if the pressure is just to high and its causing a leak in the weakest point just sitting and giving a little love tap rev, the oil pressure will go to 75 psi but not sure at 5 or 6k , I would like to just park it and rev it out and have somoene look under the hood but I did not want to free rev the car is that safe to do that, with out having any resistance on the motor , I think it would be cause people launch but I never launch it i trying to be nice on the car
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hitman28
yea to my knowledge oil burns white off the exhaust.
oil burns blue
gas burns black
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

another thing to check are the transmission seals, and diff seals up front. if one of those are leaking, it's really really really hard to tell when they are, but that would cause the problem you're having as well.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:58 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you can free rev it just dont mash the throttle, Bring the revs up slowly. you defenately want to check the oil feed for the turbo as well as the valve cover gasket area above the exhaust manifold. Also if you have a strong fuel smell then i would guess you have a fuel leak not an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks are accompanied by alot of noise not just a smell. Check around your fuel rail and all your injectors etc.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:10 PM

OK i just checked the oil level and when i take the dipstick out and put it back to just restint at the first part of the seal on the dipstick the oil level reads right to the top notch, now when i put the dipstick completely back in all the way closed and pull it out and check the oil level goes up at least a couple centemeters past the top notch on the dipstick , shouldnt it be in between the top and bottom notch ,and do u put the dipstick all the way down completely closed to check or do it stop as soon as the dipstick seal touches ? could i possibly have to much oil causing to much pressure and that be blowing out the valve causing the issue ? thank u for the help
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

did you check the rear main seal, and other tranny seals yet? the oil level thing on your dipstick doesn't sound like an issue.

Quick Reply: Smoke Coming From evo8 hood vent