Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HKS intercooler piping, Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS intercooler piping, Good or Bad?

Im out looking for some intercooler piping and i love love love HKS products. I have found some HKS full upper and lower intercooler piping for my Evo for $550 shipped. Anyone have it or have anything to say about it? any power dif over the stock piping? and will i notice any dif after i install it? Thanks guys...
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'll be better off going with a different brand other than HKS.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tribal
you'll be better off going with a different brand other than HKS.
Not a bunch of people using HKS, ETS would be a better option IMO. Dont look at the brand, look at function.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

HKS is okay for some things like cams and suspension. I would stick with buying parts from a company that solely deals with Evo's though. The top three are Buschur, AMS, and ETS, in no particular order.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

ets ams br all offer really good i/c piping. i believe cheaper?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:43 AM

AMS have really nice and proven parts..
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

IMHO, it's piping. unless you want a really bling engine bay any quality company will do. I'd just base it off of price and honestly recommend Ultimate Racing. They're friendly, make quality products, at a super reasonabile price. The silicone couplers are 3 ply etc etc..
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:16 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanman1986
any power dif over the stock piping? and will i notice any dif after i install it?
No, not at a stock-ish power level. Buy whatever brand you want or stay with the stock pipes. It's not like it really matters.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 03:36 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

What's with all these bump'd threads? Is it about the post count?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 06:55 PM

I went with ETS and the quality and fitment was very good. It also looks nice too!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
No, not at a stock-ish power level. Buy whatever brand you want or stay with the stock pipes. It's not like it really matters.
That's completely untrue. Lower IC pipe means a lot to the Evo.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 01:04 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
That's completely untrue. Lower IC pipe means a lot to the Evo.
Really? Can you please post a before and after dynograph of a stock-ish Evo with an aftermarket LICP and outline the gains that "mean a lot to an Evo." In 4 years of being here, I've never seen such a display. ETS' ad comes the closest, but it's hardly a stock-ish car. BR's 05 Evo thread looked at LICPs during the development process and you can witness the results for yourself.

Last edited by FJF; Jul 2, 2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had HKS pipes for many years on my evo. The quality of the pieces is amazing. The only problem is that the HKS set is made for the EDM and JDM version cars with the SAS system. There is a 2nd bung welded on for this purpose. You will have to cap it of if you plan on using the HKS pipes.

I agree that the lower pipe does seem to help....albeit slightly. The biggest advantage of a lower pipe is substantially improved spool. I believe back in the day DB proved that a lower pipe and a turbo outlet housing netted about 10-14whp on the evo.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is like asking "what test pipe should i get?". doesnt matter what brand it is, at the end of the day..its still a hollow piece of pipe..not unless its titanium, then thats a different story. i dont know about you but i always follow one rule when buying mods for my car. function over form...BUT if given the choice and circumstances permit.id get both.

Last edited by gothp?; Jul 12, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:12 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
I believe back in the day DB proved that a lower pipe and a turbo outlet housing netted about 10-14whp on the evo.
I'd love to see an apples-to-apples dynograph on a stock-ish car running pump that shows consistent gains in spool and/or power. Hell, I'd be the first to order the pipe and bolt it on my car. Same goes for an O2 housing. There was a time, I'm sure you recall, when everyone and his grandmother was buying those things all based on BR's thread; it also showed an increase boost along with other variables. To be fair, O2 housing testing wasn't the primary objective, IIRC. I can fully understand how better-flowing parts, at least at this level, can make an appreciable difference on a car that moves a lot more air. It makes sense it it can be backed by empirical data. On a stock-ish car, however? All I'm saying (to the vendors), let's see some data based on relevant constraints.

Quick Reply: HKS intercooler piping, Good or Bad?