Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cruise control and the evo.....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2003, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control and the evo.....

Hi all, im new here, but ive been trolling around here and some subaru forums for a while, trying to decide which one to get.

Evo: like the price, and the performance seems better. BUT, the lack of cruise control is, for me, a deal breaker. Is there any possible way around this? will 04 MY have one?

I looked in the '04 rumors' thread, and only breifly mentioned.

STi: only better cuz of 6 speed(if thats even better) + cruise control.

i appreciate any thoughts on this, especially the cruise control issue.

Oh yeah, i currently drive a lightly modded 01 S4.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

for what it's worth, i drove from los angeles to boulder CO and not having the CC didnt bother me at all...

try driving around in the S4 without using the cruise. if it bothers you that much, i think you can buy a CC unit to add to the EVO

6 speed would be nice, but not much we can do about that
Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:17 PM

I can't believe that not having CC would actually be a deciding factor in the EVO Vs STi purchase decision.... Do you not care about handling or looks or modding potential at all? I mean, CC would be nice, but i can't see ruling out a car over the lack of it. And the STi can keep its 6-speed, my last car had one, and its too much rowing for me...
Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:45 PM

For me, lack of a sunroof is a deal breaker with the STi. Although ceteris peribus, I like the EVO much better than the STi anyway.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I drove from Maryland to Vegas without the cruise control. About 2500 miles. It was not as bad as I thougt seeing as alot of I-70 is under some sort of construction. Really, how often are you going to use it. I had cc on the si and rarely got to use it, and when I did some ******* would be taking his sweet ol' time in the fast lane.

Man up and buy the EVO!
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

i would make a deal with the dealership, talk them down and make them throw in a free CC unit!!!!
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:20 PM

what is this CC unit? if it is available aftermarket, it makes the evo the clear choice. Can you tell me more? Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Schmitty
I can't believe that not having CC would actually be a deciding factor in the EVO Vs STi purchase decision.... Do you not care about handling or looks or modding potential at all? I mean, CC would be nice, but i can't see ruling out a car over the lack of it. And the STi can keep its 6-speed, my last car had one, and its too much rowing for me...
In all reality, this will be my daily driven car. I have a 6 speed now, and i like it, so thats a non issue.

On looks, i have decided i am completely neutral between the two.

On modding potential, i know the evo is better, however, i prob will not mod for a while, i need the warranty.

Handling, i dont track the car, so thats a non issue.

Basically it comes down to price and functionality between the two, and this is the only discrepancy.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

I got a cruise put on my EVO after about a month or so. It is a Rostra (Part # 250-3742 from http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm ). I had a local joint put it on for me (SolarGuard) at the same time that I had my windows tinted. The whole package was $400. If you are used to OEM cruises (like I am), this one does not respond as fast. It takes a little to get used to but it does the job.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by GroundChuck
I got a cruise put on my EVO after about a month or so. It is a Rostra (Part # 250-3742 from http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm ). I had a local joint put it on for me (SolarGuard) at the same time that I had my windows tinted. The whole package was $400. If you are used to OEM cruises (like I am), this one does not respond as fast. It takes a little to get used to but it does the job.
i was just looking at it on their site, so do you like it? or is it just for super long cruising, as in when you dont modify the speed at all?

i like the oem, i use the up/down buttons for speed all the time, youre saying these dont respond as fast, or that the speed fluctuates alot as youre driving?
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

I would prefer an OEM cruise but this one does the job. I use it all of the time. I am the type of person who uses the cruise to get to the end of my drive way. I do use the up / dwn too. It seems to adjust in about 1.25 mph increments (according to my GPS). As an example of it's slower reaction time .... If you have the cruise set at a speed then you need to pass someone, you hit the gas, pass the offending vehicle, then when the car is returning to its set speed it will usually drop a few mph below that setting then creep back up to it. It doesn't take too long but its noticable. On my other cars with OEM cruises there was never any over shoot and when you hit the SET button it would immediately stay at that speed.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by GroundChuck
I would prefer an OEM cruise but this one does the job. I use it all of the time. I am the type of person who uses the cruise to get to the end of my drive way. I do use the up / dwn too. It seems to adjust in about 1.25 mph increments (according to my GPS). As an example of it's slower reaction time .... If you have the cruise set at a speed then you need to pass someone, you hit the gas, pass the offending vehicle, then when the car is returning to its set speed it will usually drop a few mph below that setting then creep back up to it. It doesn't take too long but its noticable. On my other cars with OEM cruises there was never any over shoot and when you hit the SET button it would immediately stay at that speed.
thanks for the info, this is a good option for me. It sounds like how a low end OEM cruise would function, which is not a problem.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

I've got the rostra as well, if you do a search, you will find others that have them installed. I can say it works better than the vaccum unit installed in lancers that I get as loaners. I use it every day and I'm happy with it, it's not perfect, but it get's the job done.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by emulous
I've got the rostra as well, if you do a search, you will find others that have them installed. I can say it works better than the vaccum unit installed in lancers that I get as loaners. I use it every day and I'm happy with it, it's not perfect, but it get's the job done.
Thats awesome, do you have any pics of the contol stalk installed in your car?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Schmitty
Obviously, he thinks highly of the EVO and the STI and that they are pretty much equal. I don't think that it is not that he doesn't care about handling, but assuming he is not going to take it to the track but instead is just going to use it as a daily driver given that he wants a CC, he most likely won't be able tell "that" much difference in terms of handling. It's not like the STI handling is bad, just not as precise as the EVO but still considered very good. In regards to looks, some might like the EVO's look, but some might not and thinks the STI looks better. Finally, maybe he doesn't care about modding potential at all because both the STI and the EVO comes nicely packaged as stock. So given all things are nearly equal, the cruise control in which some might view as very important might just give the STI 1 more point vs the EVO. But I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. It mostly will come down to small details such as the CC when things are so much equal, except the price of course. Just my opinions.

Quick Reply: cruise control and the evo.....