Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Steering wheel shaking after 65mph

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shaking steering wheel have nothing to do with Alightment. Mostly rims,tires, rotors.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imajinmyfx
its probably not a trust/lazy issue... dynamic balancers are expensive and small shops probably have older static balancers... just go to a franchise shop like sears, pep boys, sts and tell them u want ur wheels balanced dynamic. ... hope this info helps! ...

shaking is not an alignment issue. shaking may be caused by bad tires/wheel bearings/bent rim/cupping of tires, all WHICH can cause alignment issues.
we have a bunch of cars . EVery car shake. None of the car have the weigh on the outer rims, i asked the balancer guy and he said they look bad and the weigh should be inside the wheel. Most of the shop now only put weigh on the inside rims. Some do stick on weigh too. I just changed new front rotors, pads, tires on both hondas car and van but steering wheel still shake especially when braking hard. Weird. So Sears and pepboy are the best place to balance tires?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by leonevox
I just changed new front rotors, pads, tires on both hondas car and van but steering wheel still shake especially when braking hard. Weird.
could be a warped hub or forzen caliper .. what yr are the hondas? .. is it just shaking of the steering wheel and/or pulsation in the brake pedal?

So Sears and pepboy are the best place to balance tires?
any where with a dynamic balance machine i guess. those places hire any shmo off the street. i just know they have pretty decent shop equipment. and have good experience will help

Last edited by imajinmyfx; Jul 27, 2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

[quote=imajinmyfx;8531760]could be a warped hub or forzen caliper .. what yr are the hondas? .. is it just shaking of the steering wheel and/or pulsation in the brake pedal?

our 2005 honda odyssey , just had brand new goodyear on with new rotors, pads. They only shake around 65-80 mph. Over 85, they stop shake. Weird. There are no weight outside the rims. Got new tires at Sam clubs.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

rebalancing the wheel will solve your problem
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll have the wheel rebalanced soon. Hopefully it'll be good to go after that.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by leonevox
we have a bunch of cars . EVery car shake. None of the car have the weigh on the outer rims, i asked the balancer guy and he said they look bad and the weigh should be inside the wheel. Most of the shop now only put weigh on the inside rims. Some do stick on weigh too. I just changed new front rotors, pads, tires on both hondas car and van but steering wheel still shake especially when braking hard. Weird. So Sears and pepboy are the best place to balance tires?
A shaking when braking hard is most likely a warped rotor, or a rotor with pad deposits on it. Replace the rotors and see what happens.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SuzukiDan7
A shaking when braking hard is most likely a warped rotor, or a rotor with pad deposits on it. Replace the rotors and see what happens.
just put new front rotors, pads and tires on an 03 accord, steering still shake when braking hard.
ps: rotors and pads are from autozone and tires are firestone champion.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Alright. Now that I drove with the windows down yesterday I noticed a noise. It sounds like its coming from the wheel I replaced. Its like something is stuck to the tire and as it hits the pavement it makes a little noise. I'm guessing the tire back there is junk or something but as I go faster, the sound occurs more frequently. I still haven't had the chance to re balance the wheel though. I've been busy working 60+ hours a week.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be a wheel bearing then.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:46 AM

check wheel alignmnet, tire pressure, tire and rim irregularities. if its none of those then might be a more serious issue
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

If I have a chance, I'll put my winter wheels on in the rear and go for a drive. If it still makes the noise, I'll probably bring it to a shop and have them look at it. I hav e a feeling its still the wheel because its comming from the rear which is where I put the new wheels but when I curbed it, it was up front.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I'm actually going to take the wheel off today and inspect the tire and wheel. I'm gonna bring it to my buddy's dad shop and have him rebalance the wheel and have him see if he can find anything wrong with it. I just don't understand how the car drove find with a damaged wheel and then I just simply replaced the wheel and now all these probs have come up.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:54 AM

I had a steering wheel shake past a certain MPH, may have been 75. It was the tires, once they were replaced the car was perfect again.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:38 AM

brake rotors are the reason

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shaking after 65mph