Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Steering wheel shaking after 65mph

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Steering wheel shaking after 65mph

A couple weeks ago, I accidentally curbed my right front wheel so I bought a new wheel from a member on EvoM. The car drove fine with the curbed wheel and there looks like there is no damage to any other components but I just couldn't stand looking at a curbed wheel. A few days ago, I finally had the time to take off the damaged right front wheel and bring it to a tire shop so they could mount the existing tire onto the new wheel and have it balanced. Well yesterday I finally took the Evo out and I figured everything would be fine now but I was wrong. The steering wheel now shakes every time I go faster than 65. Today, I took the left front wheel off and I'm going to bring it to the same shop to have it balanced tomorrow to see if that stops the problem. If it doesn't, I'm going to rotate the wheels and see if this stops the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas on what I could possibly do? Also, if the steering wheel stops shaking after I rotate the tires, will there be any harm done to the rear since the wheels that caused the problem will be in the back?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when was your last alignment? its possible that the curbage threw something off. hopefully its not a bent axel like my audi had a week ago haha
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed, you could need an alignment. What suspension are you on? If you're on coilovers, you might be rolling too stiff..
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be a balance issue but I've had this same problem on a previous car. I had new tires put on but I didn't check their work, the tires were directional tires and they mounted one tire backwards. Check to see if you tires are directional and if they're mounted properly.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Stock mr suspension, the tires are directional and were mounted properly, I don't know when the car had an alignment. Its been over 2 years. The only strange part is, the car drove fine with the damaged wheel but now that it has the new wheel, the steering wheel shakes after 65.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Mine did the same after I installed new wheels and suspension. Turns out suspension was too stiff so we adjusted. Sounds like a tire issue now that you've narrowed some probable causes down...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

The tire is still the same one so I'm not sure if that could be the issue.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:44 PM

I would try to rebalance that wheel and see if it helps. If it doesnt I would start looking to make sure its not warped. Had the same problem on a escalade with 20s, all tires balance but still had the shake at around 40-60mph due to 1 rim being warped. Easy way to find out is to see how many weights it take to balance the rim. Excessive weights compared to other 3 rims most likely but "not always" indicate a warped rim.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to have the left front wheel balanced and then if that doesn't help, I wil rebalance the new wheel. Right now it has 4 stick on weights.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:30 PM

I would think it's in the tires. Uneven wear from the bent wheel. Also, if you had a bent wheel then u need an alighnment for sure.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

Wheel wasn't bent. It was curbed and I drove the car less than 100 miles with the curbed wheel.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

it also drove fine with the curbed rim which makes me believe the balancing is off.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:11 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Probably a balance issue. Do your wheels have the wheel weights on the inside (sticky weights) or the clip weights on the outside? Eitherways, both can come loose over time.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

I have the sticky weights. My front wheels both have the inside weights. I just rotated my tires today and now the vibration and shaky-ness is gone. I'm gonna have my friends dad rebalance my new wheel for me just to be sure the wheel is actually balanced. If not, I'm gonna say its a tire issue. The tires are about 3 years old but I've only used them for a season and a half or so since I had my winter rims on for the majority of the time lol. Also, does anyone think that now having the wheel that caused all the vibrations and shaky-ness in the rear could cause any drivetrain problems in the long run if I leave it alone now since my steering wheel is fine?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

it could be the way they balance it.... there are two types of balancing... dynamic and static... dynamic balancing uses weights on both side of the wheel... static will only use weights on the inner side of the rim. ... static is the "lazy mans" way of balancing. trust me.. i work @ a dealership and we get a lot of come backs b/c of lazy techs who only balance static... i always use dynamic.

Last edited by imajinmyfx; Jul 26, 2010 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shaking after 65mph