Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Letting EVO sit for long period

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letting EVO sit for long period

I have been deployed overseas since January 18th, and my car has been parked at the house since then. It hasn't been started or driven for 7 months. My wife is totally scared of it and the one time she tried to start it, the battery was already dead. She is telling me that the tires aren't flat, but very low on air.

I am returning in about a week and I wanted everyones help as to what I should check for and do to get my baby back into operation safely. I only have about 36,000 miles on it and just did the 30,000 mile service on time right before I left.

Thanks in advance!

John
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Not an expert, but this is what i would do:

Recharge battery (or get a new one if needed)
Put air in tires
Check fluids (I know you just had your 30k but it doesn't hurt to double check)

Turn car on and see what happens
Check for any leaking fluids
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just re-charge the battery, should be fine, the car is almost brand new.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

you definitely have to change the oil. and I would let it idle for long time before driving it.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outside?
Covered?
Garaged?

I think you will be fine as far as fluids and etc go.

I'd suggest giving the oil and coolant a change before you fire it up.

As for tires, they may be slightly flat-spotted from sitting stationary, especially if on pavement or cement. Drive them for a few hundred miles on the highway and they should round out.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:13 AM

It has been outside under a tree the whole time. I have attached a picture that my wife sent me that she took during the last rain storm in Virginia about a month ago.
Attached Thumbnails Letting EVO sit for long period-20100729-img_3179.jpg  

Last edited by johncloo; Aug 10, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

get the battery juiced up, oil change, air in the tires, idk if the gas is any effected for letting it sit for 7 months but maybe drain it and fill her up with new gas, and a nice bath for your baby welcome back!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
awe.. Sitting for that long you should have some kind of cover for it.
Mechanically it should be fine.
Good luck!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

definitely change the oil... putting in some fuel stabilizer in would've been a good idea
Old Aug 10, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
charge the battery and change the oil. i'd drive it easy until you use up your current tank of gas.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine sat for 8 months and the battery was dead also. bought a new one and she started right up. you should be fine.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:40 PM

I just got back from deployment as well

jump the battery with another vehicle or a charger pack
check fluids and change oil
run out that tank of gas
good to go
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

what to do?

Well First things first Have you been using the recommended synthetic fluid? If so good if not 7 months might be too long sitting with regular oil. If synthetic just change it.

Also if you didn't put any stabil in the fuel the gas tends to gum up at about six months or so. Definitely put a couple of bottles of injector cleaner in. If it still idles bad then you might have to have the fuel system flushed at a local jiffy lube or some place similiar. There are some DIY help on the internet.

Changing the plugs is always a good idea or at least checking the plugs.

Then maybe check all your belts and make sure there not cracked. Belts are made from rubber which are made from oil products which crack if not used for a long period of time.
Also check your tires for cracks from sitting so long with out moving. Do not want start going b@(($ to the wall with bad tires.

Also check your suspension if there are any zerk fittings go ahead and grease them with some good synthetic grease.

As for the battery most likely its will be good after a good recharge. Not just jumping it and then driving for a few minutes. It needs to be fully charged before operating. Some people say to just jump it and then drive for a little bit, but driving it and charging puts a load while tryin to charge it. Meaning its never a full charge which will shorten the overall life of the battery. If you just hook it up to a tickle charger overnight from 12 to 24 hours you would be much better. If you fully charge it and still have problems then one of the cells is bad from being dead so long. Just get a new one or a optima red top.

I have deployed multiple times with the same 2003 EVO some times for 9 months some times for 16 months and I have the same problem my wife doesn't like to drive it. She says something always breaks when shes driving it. Next time Just ask her to at least start it and let it run for 20 or 30 minutes every week or so and it would do wonders. Any questions let me know
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

+1 for change oil , im parking my evo 4months by year, winterrrrr with a lot of salt on roaddd here in qc.. )
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johncloo
It has been outside under a tree the whole time. I have attached a picture that my wife sent me that she took during the last rain storm in Virginia about a month ago.
if the pic is a month old and the battery is dead why in the world are the lights on

Quick Reply: Letting EVO sit for long period