Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII confirmed... Thought you guys should know.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by okitenik
Still sounds a bit doubtful to me ....why don't you people understand that dealers have pretty much squat to do with the development of cars...and they are pretty much the last people to see the final versions!! Don't believe everything you hear!!
Completely and 100% correct. Dealers know just about nothing, less than nothing, as proven by the repeated conflicting and inaccurate information I have received from the 20+ dealers I have spoken to. In fact, because they are perceived to be "in the know" as it pertains to the release of new cars, their info is often taken as gospel. This is very unfortunate, as in just about 100% of the cases I have looked at the dealer is way, way off base. So what we have is a supposed trusted source of information giving out FALSE information. This has the effect of misleading people, and causing people to draw INCORRECT and PREMATURE conclusions..which is bad.

All I can say is that please take EVERYTHING on this forum very lightly, and do NOT draw any conclusions. The ONLY information you should trust is either from what you hear from MITSUBISHI DIRECTLY(ie, NOT dealers) or what you see with your OWN EYES.

Mordeth
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:05 PM

If this is true, and the Evo8 is suppose to come out in February 03 in Japan, I would imagine we won't see it till Spring 03 (as some reports have been saying).
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

i'd assume they'll make x number of cars for the feb release in japan, us, and euro. japan obviously doesn't take much shipping time... for every dealer in the us to get a few... think about that. 850 dealers x 4-5 cars a piece on average? that's a major undertaking.
if for no other reason, the reason we'd be a bit delayed is this.
plus, come on guys... if you're mitsubishi, how concerned are you that the united states gets theirs as early as everyone else.
until they have supreme pressure from the WRX (like a flying car or something) they're in no huge rush. the way their us launch is going to be most successful is if they make the car live up to everyone's dreams. the people in japan already have evos. same with europe. if i had an evo 5 or 6 i wouldn't get the 8. especially not for 30g's. when mitsubishi feels the car will succeed the most, they will release it. it's not up to a single person in this forum. just cause we want it, doesn't mean it's the best move for the company.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by okitenik
Still sounds a bit doubtful to me ....why don't you people understand that dealers have pretty much squat to do with the development of cars...and they are pretty much the last people to see the final versions!! Don't believe everything you hear!!
That is a somewhat accurate statement. I sometimes find more info on the net and in the AutomobileNews than I do directly from the factory. However the factory DOES tell the owners whats going on, and frankly there lies the problem. The problem is owners are usually much older than you guys thus they don't get what the big deal is. If they had heard of the car say the 350Z then they get excited since they have sold previous generations of the car and remember how much profit these vehicles brought. However with a car like the Evo or even the WRX, dealers have no idea as to what to expect, so they kind of keep quiet. Another problem is that many dealers own multiple franchises, its hard to get really excited when you own 10 different franchises and you have 20 new cars coming out in a year, these guys don't sell cars anymore, they just manage their dealerships. The biggest problem is a lot of dealers aren't real involved with the day to day operations. This causes a problem because they don't get to relay the info that they get to their management. This causes the bumbling idiot syndrome, "Yeah the Evo I will arive mid January with 425.67 HP". Sound familiar? So next time don't go to your local dealership for info unless the car is on their lot. Salespeople mean well but its hard to keep up with every little detail when you have to worry about putting food on the table.

As far as if a finished EVO VIII will be displayed at the Vegas meetings I highly doubt it, it will most likely be a pre-production model that they make for testing sake and to iron out the kinks, but if you think they don't already have an almost finished Evo VIII then let me learn you something. If the car is to be released in Japan in Febuary 2003 they must have a near production ready car right now. A car that is to be released in Febuary must have to begin production at the very least in November, if not earlier. They at the very least will have an EVO VII with VIII sheetmetal.

As far as Mitsubishi not being in a big rush you couldn't be more wrong. Mitsubishi is not the only car company with a new halo car coming out. Nissan has their 350Z, Mazda has the RX-8, and Subaru is waiting to see what specs the Evo will have before relasing the STI(thats what they told everyone in Chicago last month). If the Z comes out say 3-4 months before the EVO thats a lot of lost sales.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:35 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I wouldn't expect too much... from my understanding, Mitsubishi does not want to release any information anytime soon.

Mark
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres is no Info and Pics of the Lancer Evo 8
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TheFreak

As far as Mitsubishi not being in a big rush you couldn't be more wrong. Mitsubishi is not the only car company with a new halo car coming out. Nissan has their 350Z, Mazda has the RX-8, and Subaru is waiting to see what specs the Evo will have before relasing the STI(thats what they told everyone in Chicago last month). If the Z comes out say 3-4 months before the EVO thats a lot of lost sales.
i stand corrected. sorry.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

from what seems to be the latest, the evo 7 title is simply changed to the, evo 8, as far as looks the grills the only evident change, that we know of right now?