Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whats wrong with my evo?? Excessive white smoke

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotcha like what all would you do to it i have cams 750 cc injectos bbk turbo and upper intercooler lower inter cooler megen o2 housing bov and a few more things downpiping
a1311ed4-3675-40a3-889b-5685bdd59eed
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Lots of good advice and bad advice in this thread.

Good advice: Get it built to handle more abuse, stop abusing it like that, check PCV valve, check for coolant in oil, check coolant level, check/replace worn rings, check/replace blown turbo etc

Bad advice: get a different head gasket other than OEM (the OEM has been shown to be a VERY reliable headgasket when used with Standard ARP headstuds, it's already multi Layer Steel aka MLS and can handle over 35psi as we proved with Tribals car on the dyno as seen here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t35-build.html ).

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions. Understand that these vehicles are not cheap to maintain properly unless you do all your own maintenance and know how to do it properly, when things start going bad they can go very bad very quickly if you aren't careful.

If your car is burning the oil off in short time STOP DRIVING IT. We recently had a customer bring us a car stating that the turbo wouldn't make boost and he wanted us to replace it. In the process of the initial inspection we noticed no oil was touching the dipstick. We decided to drain the oil to put some fresh stuff in and see how much came out. Less than 2 qts came out and this car had been driven a few days before! Once we found this and checked a few more things out. The customer was informed and is now saving for a rebuild on the bottom end. The amount a small copper particles that were found in the oil was seriously disturbing. (Copper is one of the base metals in the type of bearings this individual had.) The turbo had so much shaft play both axial and radial that the thrust washer must have been destroyed and the journal bearings were probably destroyed. Lesson: don't run your car low on oil. If you like that BBK turbo you have on there keep it well lubricated.

Josh
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how is it "bad advice" to recommend getting a aftermarket head gasket, so the stock can hold 35psi with arp studs what if he doesn't have any arp studs? whats the numbers then? he said he is hitting 29 i believe to me that seems like he is at the limit no? what can it hurt to get a head gasket that is proven to go well over 35psi? it cant! therefor not bad advice

Originally Posted by Jmelocik@Spec-Ops
Lots of good advice and bad advice in this thread.

Good advice: Get it built to handle more abuse, stop abusing it like that, check PCV valve, check for coolant in oil, check coolant level, check/replace worn rings, check/replace blown turbo etc

Bad advice: get a different head gasket other than OEM (the OEM has been shown to be a VERY reliable headgasket when used with Standard ARP headstuds, it's already multi Layer Steel aka MLS and can handle over 35psi as we proved with Tribals car on the dyno as seen here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t35-build.html ).

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions. Understand that these vehicles are not cheap to maintain properly unless you do all your own maintenance and know how to do it properly, when things start going bad they can go very bad very quickly if you aren't careful.

If your car is burning the oil off in short time STOP DRIVING IT. We recently had a customer bring us a car stating that the turbo wouldn't make boost and he wanted us to replace it. In the process of the initial inspection we noticed no oil was touching the dipstick. We decided to drain the oil to put some fresh stuff in and see how much came out. Less than 2 qts came out and this car had been driven a few days before! Once we found this and checked a few more things out. The customer was informed and is now saving for a rebuild on the bottom end. The amount a small copper particles that were found in the oil was seriously disturbing. (Copper is one of the base metals in the type of bearings this individual had.) The turbo had so much shaft play both axial and radial that the thrust washer must have been destroyed and the journal bearings were probably destroyed. Lesson: don't run your car low on oil. If you like that BBK turbo you have on there keep it well lubricated.

Josh

Last edited by EVO8STI; Sep 17, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

GL finding the problem.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8STI
how is it "bad advice" to recommend getting a aftermarket head gasket, so the stock can hold 35psi with arp studs what if he doesn't have any arp studs? whats the numbers then? he said he is hitting 29 i believe to me that seems like he is at the limit no? what can it hurt to get a head gasket that is proven to go well over 35psi? it cant! therefor not bad advice
The stock head gasket has been proven to have a better seal than most aftermarket ones on our cars (I think only the Cosworth sealed better) and have been proven to last on 9 second Evos.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by precisi0n
Top 5? Wow, you must have slow cars where you are from...
This.
Originally Posted by cheeety
its the only way to win from roll racing when the opponent does it and just shoots like a dart past you cuz you dont..
Roll racing is for douches. Take it to the track and run from a dig if you want to prove anything.

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; Sep 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:24 PM

Any update on your issue?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
The stock head gasket has been proven to have a better seal than most aftermarket ones on our cars (I think only the Cosworth sealed better) and have been proven to last on 9 second Evos.
i think youre right, i have a cosworth before and work great, then i change it to the factory, whenever i blew the stock i might go back to the cosworth, 1.2 mm more my compression.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

As stated by a couple of people on here, the stock head gasket is great. If you are taking the head off and putting an aftermarket headgasket on and you are putting stock head bolts back on you are asking for trouble. ARP head studs, the regular ones not the L19's, have been shown for several years to withstand the punishment of high pressure, high powered builds. Yes, there are better aftermarket headgaskets, they are marginally better and cost more than twice the price of the OEM. You are correct in that a little piece of mind can go a long way. But in this case I don't feel it is justified.

Josh
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cheeety
not a huge city but i can hang with vipers
a1311ed4-3675-40a3-889b-5685bdd59eed

not to be a d*ck or anything but let me guess, from your posts...........your 20 yrs old or less?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 920rs
not to be a d*ck or anything but let me guess, from your posts...........your 20 yrs old or less?
yup definately another kid on here... i dont see hanging with vipers with only those mods on stock block... im pretty sure a viper would walk on that setup... especially from a roll
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by white_evo27
yup definately another kid on here... i dont see hanging with vipers with only those mods on stock block... im pretty sure a viper would walk on that setup... especially from a roll
and let me guess its a 2003 evo too. ha! those youngsters love those cheap evos....just wait til they see how much it costs to repair major things from driving like a tard! priceless when the find out. But hey, live and learn i guess.....
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
First of all, why are you brake boosting? You don't drive a giant-turbo Supra. If you drive like an idiot, expect idiotic consequences like blown headgaskets.

Check your plugs for discoloration at the tips (if your coolant's green, look for a green tint), drain and check your oil for coolant, and check to see if any sweet smelling water (coolant) is dripping out of your muffler.
Lol love my supra nothin like that brake boost!!

OP it's the damn head gasket, although you don't have to see the coolant leaking out the side of the block it's all internal
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Im sorry but I am going to have to do it....

LOL

You sound like a real genius, what did you expect would happen? Honestly if you are doing this crap on the roads you deserve it as far as I am concerned.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:03 PM

Hahahaha!! BOooOOoOM SHAKALAKALaKahh!!

I had to do that! Well while your rebuilding your engine i have some internal parts you may have intrest in.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with my evo?? Excessive white smoke