Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

E85, Regulated? Questions on fuel quality.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85, Regulated? Questions on fuel quality.

I have been contemplating going the E85 route like so many people have these days, but I have several questions.

1. In my town there is only one place to get E85, and its 30 miles away. I know that e85 is hydroscopic, so it will absorb water over time. If I were to store it in a 55 gallon drum, how long will it stay fresh?

2. I have tested the fuel at the station a few times to see what kind of blend is actually coming out of the pump. The numbers I get seem to differ each time. (I use the graduated cylinder method for calculating %). I have gotten a wide variety of blends from E60 to E90...

3. My question is: Are there any regulations on E85? It doesn't seem like it to me. Perhaps it's just the station I am going to, but has anyone run into problems with inconsistent blends and had drivability issues?

4. If you get a crappy blend, such as E60, will I run into problems with knock and such? Does anyone on here test the fuel each time before putting it into your car? If that is the case ethanol seems like it would be a major headache..

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:40 PM

1. If the e85 station is 30 miles away that might not be the most convenient. I always had to plan my trips to the gas station in my 1g and it became very annoying.

2. http://www.jeffgst.com/e85global.html Find your state to determine when the switch to class 1, class 2, or class 3.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drewbird91
1. If the e85 station is 30 miles away that might not be the most convenient. I always had to plan my trips to the gas station in my 1g and it became very annoying.

Yeah I know, it sucks..But that's why I was wondering about the 55 gallon drum for storage.

2. http://www.jeffgst.com/e85global.html Find your state to determine when the switch to class 1, class 2, or class 3.
Hm that link is very helpful, thanks!

I did do all of my tests in July, however, and I still got mixed results
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evowner17
I have been contemplating going the E85 route like so many people have these days, but I have several questions.

1. In my town there is only one place to get E85, and its 30 miles away. I know that e85 is hydroscopic, so it will absorb water over time. If I were to store it in a 55 gallon drum, how long will it stay fresh?

2. I have tested the fuel at the station a few times to see what kind of blend is actually coming out of the pump. The numbers I get seem to differ each time. (I use the graduated cylinder method for calculating %). I have gotten a wide variety of blends from E60 to E90...

3. My question is: Are there any regulations on E85? It doesn't seem like it to me. Perhaps it's just the station I am going to, but has anyone run into problems with inconsistent blends and had drivability issues?

4. If you get a crappy blend, such as E60, will I run into problems with knock and such? Does anyone on here test the fuel each time before putting it into your car? If that is the case ethanol seems like it would be a major headache..

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I think it is commonplace knowledge that there are different blends for summer and winter. E85 for summer -> E70 for winter. Most pumps around me lable "minimum 70" ethanol"

According to my tuner, you sometimes see a gradual transition from 85 to 70. sometimes it is more sudden. I think the transition to 70 is in October and the transition back to 85 is in late may.

For my car, I have a winter E85 tune (more so an E70) and will go back in june for a regular E85 tune
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
To answer your question#4 I remember a few cars filling up with E-85 in NorCal and then after a while people were blowing motors, Turned out it was E-70 and they didn't know about the switch. What's tough is, it's like a drug, it really wakes the car up and becomes a totally different animal...a gnarly, beer swilling, cuss'n like a sailor animal
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:58 PM

E85 30miles away it's just a headache.If its your daily driver your better off without E85.Meth is an option it really makes a big difference.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boost Demon
To answer your question#4 I remember a few cars filling up with E-85 in NorCal and then after a while people were blowing motors, Turned out it was E-70 and they didn't know about the switch. What's tough is, it's like a drug, it really wakes the car up and becomes a totally different animal...a gnarly, beer swilling, cuss'n like a sailor animal
Haha I know the benefits are amazing, but I don't want to have to consistently check for fuel quality and have to re-tune all the time, since the car will be daily driven.. Looks like I'll be sticking with 93 for now

I think I might save up and upgrade to a BBK full then. 400whp is pretty attainable on the stock 9 turbo with E85 + bolt ons, but 400whp should be attainable on 93 with the bbk.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:01 PM

Haha I know the benefits are amazing, but I don't want to have to consistently check for fuel quality and have to re-tune all the time, since the car will be daily driven.. Looks like I'll be sticking with 93 for now

I think I might save up and upgrade to a BBK full then. 400whp is pretty attainable on the stock 9 turbo with E85 + bolt ons, but 400whp should be attainable on 93 with the bbk.
My friend with Intake/TBE/Meth and tuned is pushing 400hp with the stock turbo.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can most likely buy a drum from a shop in your area.
our performance shop here sells VP fuels, and e85 that is actually the right blend. they test it everytime before filling

as stated there's a summer and winter mixture
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

You can most likely buy a drum from a shop in your area.
our performance shop here sells VP fuels, and e85 that is actually the right blend. they test it everytime before filling

as stated there's a summer and winter mixture
Yeah I know about the seasonal blends, but even during the same month (July) I was getting different mixtures each time I went to test. I am just wondering how accurate the blends are.

My friend with Intake/TBE/Meth and tuned is pushing 400hp with the stock turbo.
That's pretty insane, but I am not a fan of Meth. I would prefer to run strictly 93 or E85.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I know about the seasonal blends, but even during the same month (July) I was getting different mixtures each time I went to test. I am just wondering how accurate the blends are.

That's pretty insane, but I am not a fan of Meth. I would prefer to run strictly 93 or E85.

I would chalk up the variances you were seeing to low demand in your area. They probably had left over winter blend and them buying from different vendors/suppliers.

The best advise I can give is fatten up a winter tune and run it yr round. get a wideband and watch your AFRs. You will see an increase in AFR if you get a lower blend
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:24 PM

You live in southern Illinois and can't find e85 any closer to you? I have five stations within a 5 mile drive of where I'm sitting in central Illinois. I find that hard to believe.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rocketmotor
You live in southern Illinois and can't find e85 any closer to you? I have five stations within a 5 mile drive of where I'm sitting in central Illinois. I find that hard to believe.
Yep, only 1 station..Not hard to believe considering there is no demand for it here. There used to be a pump at my local BP, but they got rid of it.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Do you really need a tune to run E85?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes

Quick Reply: E85, Regulated? Questions on fuel quality.