Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does anyone rock no carpet in their Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone rock no carpet in their Evo?

hey guys just wondering if anyone has taken the carpet out of their evo for weight purposes as it is heavy, just wanna know if it sucks to drive without it, like slipping on the floor, idc if its loud as my car is extremely loud and is only taken out once at night once in a blue moon or to a car show. Just wanted to get some input on anyone that has taken the carpet out.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Not worth it in my opinion. When I got my RS, I took the carpet out to add some insulation underneath. I drove the car for a few days without the carpet in it while I waited for my insulation to arrive, and it sucked. If you are planning on driving the car daily I wouldn't do it. You get so much more road noise/rattles. I added more insulation under my carpet to get rid of some of the road noise

Also the carpet doesn't weigh that much, so you wouldn't really gain anything anyway.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is out (along with everything else including all the undercoating etc.) but it'a a race car....

I have anti-slip strips (about 4" wide) on the d/s and p/s....if it's wet, without these, the floor would be an ice rink.

You can hear every pebble/rock/etc hit the underside of the car and the uninsulated tunnel heats up the car another 10-15 degress..plain miserable

Can't fathom why on earth you would want to do this unless you were converting to track-only (and then there are about a million other things you would want to pull out )
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

i drive this car at the most 4 times a month for about 20 miles each time and its going on a huge diet with lightweight parts so i don't care about noise as its loud as hell already and i took the sound deadening material out from under the carpet anyway, i just wanna know if it sucks to drive like does you feet slip at all on the metal?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goforwand
Mine is out (along with everything else including all the undercoating etc.) but it'a a race car....

I have anti-slip strips (about 4" wide) on the d/s and p/s....if it's wet, without these, the floor would be an ice rink.

You can hear every pebble/rock/etc hit the underside of the car and the uninsulated tunnel heats up the car another 10-15 degress..plain miserable

Can't fathom why on earth you would want to do this unless you were converting to track-only (and then there are about a million other things you would want to pull out )
this car is now a street/drag car i barely drive it, its just for shows, drag, and night cruises. where did you get the anit-slip strips and do you have any pics?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoforlife
this car is now a street/drag car i barely drive it, its just for shows, drag, and night cruises. where did you get the anit-slip strips and do you have any pics?
No pics, but you can get the anti-slip stuff at any Home Depot or Lowes..it usually in the carpet/flooring section. It's typically used on stairs and has a very rough sandpaper texture with an adhesive backing....

What else are you thinking of doing to lighten the car?.....be careful because it can be like a bad haircut; you'll keep snipping and snipping to even out the sides and before you know it you'll be bald
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

oh dude i know my Galant VR4 turned into just a snipping fest i took every single thing possible out of that thing, but i wont go that far ever again. I have already got the light weight front member, mustache bar, aluminum diff supports, a/c delete, sound deadening delete, took all the stuff out of the trunk, crash beams, mini battery, carbon fiber trunk, and some other stuff im prob forgetting
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yup...going bald is PIA
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoforlife
i drive this car at the most 4 times a month for about 20 miles each time and its going on a huge diet with lightweight parts so i don't care about noise as its loud as hell already and i took the sound deadening material out from under the carpet anyway, i just wanna know if it sucks to drive like does you feet slip at all on the metal?
In that case, it makes more sense, but how much weight are you really going to save by removing the carpet? It didn't seem to weigh that much when I took it out, but I guess every pound counts.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

its just little things that add up, 1 pound here 2 pounds there, weight makes a big difference sometimes.

When i took the carpet out to do the sound deadening it felt light it weighed 10-15 lbs

Ferrari f430 scuderia's dont have carpet lol

Last edited by evoforlife; Dec 27, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
the carpet from my RS weigh 18 lbs. if you can stand the sound, then do it.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Wow thats a lot of weight! thanks for the info man

Prob gonna be ripping it out
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:00 PM

Is 18lbs really worth the extra noise?
It doesnt seem like THAT much weight but maybe thats just me.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

To me thats a lot of weight as every bit matters and my car is in no way my daily driver its a weekend/drag car
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why not just go on a diet

Quick Reply: Does anyone rock no carpet in their Evo?